Page 27 of 132 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Always interested to hear about the gear selection process.

It has as much to do with mission success as physical conditions in my books.
    Oh how I wish this were true, I'd be one of the top 10 ski mountaineers in the world if it was! I have a split boarder buddy who is on 10+ year old Scarpa Lasers who regularly smokes everyone on the skin track. All of his gear is held together with epoxy and duct tape. It's embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    fwiw after some speculation in some thread I can no longer find about that being a DIY job with pvc insulation / zip ties, I did the pvc insulation / zip tie mod to some of my poles:

Attachment 282688

cost about six bucks and works like a charm!
    You need some tip extenders to go with those poles.

as a total gear nerd, i really enjoyed this most recent gear episode. does anyone else find it interesting that one of the principal progenerators of the shift binding seems to consider it a specialized tool (short tours, mechanized access, or extremely aggressive lines only) while the market forces seems to be considering it to be the one binding to rule them all? i feel unsurprised that all of these lines are getting done on an old school u-spring binding, considering the vertical involved and the style of skiing being skied, but the shift binding still crushes the mtn binding in sales and hype. it is pretty interesting because i feel like most people would enjoy a minimalist binding more than a heavy freeride binding like the shift, but the market trend seems to be leaning hard in the shift's direction.

Good episode. Even when it's not a suffer fest it's a suffer fest... or 2. I'd like to see the pack quiver and interesting bits that might go in it

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I really want to see what’s in bjarne’s pack for a given episode. I bet it’s ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    I really want to see what’s in bjarne’s pack for a given episode. I bet it’s ridiculous.
    lol yeah

Yes, even better

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    I really want to see what’s in bjarne’s brain for a given episode. I bet it’s ridiculous.
    FIFY.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    How'd you get the straps off?

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    as a total gear nerd, i really enjoyed this most recent gear episode. does anyone else find it interesting that one of the principal progenerators of the shift binding seems to consider it a specialized tool (short tours, mechanized access, or extremely aggressive lines only) while the market forces seems to be considering it to be the one binding to rule them all? i feel unsurprised that all of these lines are getting done on an old school u-spring binding, considering the vertical involved and the style of skiing being skied, but the shift binding still crushes the mtn binding in sales and hype. it is pretty interesting because i feel like most people would enjoy a minimalist binding more than a heavy freeride binding like the shift, but the market trend seems to be leaning hard in the shift's direction.
    I think this has more to do with what the market is demanding. What Cody considers a "short" tour is typical of over half the people looking for a touring binding. I'd say a large majority of people buying their first touring binding are only touring for a few miles and 1000 ft vert or under. Many of them want something that can also do "side country" and are timid about the concept of tech bindings. It's a bit unfortunate as most of these same people are sticking to low angle pretty safe terrain and would be fine on a lighter weight binding.

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    How'd you get the straps off?
    I just use a knife

Quote Originally Posted by bbrianburke View Post
    That's because most people don't tour as much as I or most of the maggots. The SHIFT is a one-binding for them all if you consider that "all" is 80% resort / 20% backcountry. Personally, I'm not a fan of tech bindings in most situations. They're dangerous, finicky and don't ski as well, but as you and most of the mags know, these are big lines with long access and lots of vert combined with no fall, controlled style skiing, so in those scenarios a tech binding is the solution and the only place I'm a fan of them. What I can't believe is how many people are screaming at me "YOU'RE NOT ON SHIFTS!".

Makes sense to me.

Shift seemed to work well for mags at BBI Europe. Short lift access shuffles and tours but big downhill vert. Also resort laps.

I used tectons on the trip but same idea.
    Would not grab either for a pure human powered adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    The SHIFT is a one-binding for them all if you consider that "all" is 80% resort / 20% backcountry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdeist View Post
    I'd say a large majority of people buying their first touring binding are only touring for a few miles and 1000 ft vert or under.
    fair enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdeist View Post
    I'd say a large majority of people buying their first touring binding are only touring for a few miles and 1000 ft vert or under.
    From what I've seen, a majority of people buying their first touring binding aren't touring on them at all. They're inbounds, lift served only. But, y'know, they could tour on them, and they're really thinking they'll get into it a lot more next year.

I'm late to the party here, but I just watched the Giant Steps episode, and it was fantastic.

Whatsupdoc and I did Bairs Creek last year, when there was significantly less snow, and it set my personal high-water mark for backcountry sufferfests.

I sometimes roll my eyes at some Instagram posts that glibly philosophize a backcountry photo. That said, I thought Nick Russell's comments about the euphoria of skiing a long-sought-after line, despite the massive non-skiing effort and variable snow, were right on the money. He wasn't overselling that experience at all.

For those in know, how hard is the downclimb into the first couloir? I know some parties rap into it. I hate sketchy downclimbing in ski boots, but I also wouldn't want to unnecessarily carry a rope and harness for such a big day.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    From what I've seen, a majority of people buying their first touring binding aren't touring on them at all. They're inbounds, lift served only. But, y'know, they could tour on them, and they're really thinking they'll get into it a lot more next year.
    ^^^This. 50/50 skiers don’t really exist. You either prioritize downhill or uphill more and that reflects in your gear choices. Cody’s a perfect example as he is using more “uphill” gear on this project and let’s be honest he skis harder than most here including in the backcountry.

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    ^^^This. 50/50 skiers don’t really exist. You either prioritize downhill or uphill more and that reflects in your gear choices. Cody’s a perfect example as he is using more “uphill” gear on this project and let’s be honest he skis harder than most here including in the backcountry.
    The last few seasons i have roughly a 50/50 split between resort and BC days. So I’m a unicorn I guess? Or can I be a dragon? They’re so hot right now.

Of course, I use different setups for each and you’re still correct that anyone who does more than several BC days per year is very likely going to have dedicated gear for the uphill days. I have shifts but really only toured on them a few times this year, instead opting for lighter and easier to transition AT bindings most of the time. But still great to have, especially if you’re flying somewhere.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The last few seasons i have roughly a 50/50 split between resort and BC days. So I’m a unicorn I guess? Or can I be a dragon? They’re so hot right now.

Of course, I use different setups for each and you’re still correct that anyone who does more than several BC days per year is very likely going to have dedicated gear for the uphill days. I have shifts but really only toured on them a few times this year, instead opting for lighter and easier to transition AT bindings most of the time. But still great to have, especially if you’re flying somewhere.
    You are a unicorn, especially considering all the gear that you have . Based on what I know about your gear, I would say you are slightly more resort biased because you don’t have a hard core lightweight backcountry setup. Get some 300g pin bindings, lighter more backcountry friendly boots and ultralight skis and you will be good for those big days. You won’t be able to charge quite as hard (you still can ski pretty hard) but you will enjoy more pow laps.

I do agree that the shift does make a great travel binding when you will be doing both resorts and backcountry.

I think there are a good deal of 50/50 skiers. But most of them are also 50+ day-a-year skiers who can justify owning multiple sets of skis. Dedicated downhill and dedicated up.

Most people I see/know with Shifts are the backcountry hopeful skiers. And one dude who is just fitter than everyone else and skis better than the rest of us.

Source: am 50/50 skier. Own more than enough of both.

Also want to echo -- more on the boot mods please!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think there are a good deal of 50/50 skiers. But most of them are also 50+ day-a-year skiers who can justify owning multiple sets of skis. Dedicated downhill and dedicated up.

Most people I see/know with Shifts are the backcountry hopeful skiers. And one dude who is just fitter than everyone else and skis better than the rest of us.

Source: am 50/50 skier. Own more than enough of both.

Also want to echo -- more on the boot mods please!
    To clarify, I think that there are plenty of skiers who split their time between the backcountry and resorts, many of them evenly splitting their time. What I meant is that among those “50/50” skiers, each one has a slight preference on way or other. Looking at gear, though not a perfect method, can give you some clues whether a person prefers the backcountry or resorts even though they ski both.

What I meant is that among those “50/50” skiers, each one has a slight preference on way or other. Looking at gear, though not a perfect method, can give you some clues whether a person prefers the backcountry or resorts even though they ski both.
    What's your assessment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190516_143153.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	282797

And x10 on the boot mods.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What's your assessment:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190516_143153.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	282797

And x10 on the boot mods.
    More backcountry/uphill focused on the 50/50 spectrum. You definitely put more effort into you backcountry skis, particularly the bindings.

Would you say the toe frame of the shifts dampens better and might be a little more comfortable for someone with knees without meniscii?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.