Page 74 of 132 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Not jealous of that one. Oof.

Bushwhack from hell! Jeezus, I've done shit bushwack like that for a couple of hours and was back drinking beers pretty quick. I cannot imagine that one. No thanks. Mental toughness to the next level.

That bushwacking hits home after moving up here and trying to find new places to backcountry close to Helena. Obviously not to that level but not having a snow machine is just brutal. That was seriously impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Am I seeing right that he hauled the 2200gram+ Blank on that mission?
    And on the gear topic, somehow that goretex shakedry jacket the internet is convinced will fall apart while wearing a backpack appeared to survive the biggest bushwack ever.

Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    That bushwacking hits home after moving up here and trying to find new places to backcountry close to Helena. Obviously not to that level but not having a snow machine is just brutal. That was seriously impressive.
    Yeah, that sort of bushwack is fairly par for the course on lots of stuff around here. I usually feel like the fun / misery ratio is going a bit off kilter if I have to thrash for more than an hour. Doing it all day like that (and then again on the way out) is next level.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Bushwhack from hell! Jeezus, I've done shit bushwack like that for a couple of hours and was back drinking beers pretty quick. I cannot imagine that one. No thanks. Mental toughness to the next level.
    This. I've done 10+ mile approaches with a heavy pack, and I've done some fucked up shwacking. I have zero desire to put the two together. I got impatient and frustrated just watching.

Shwackattack. Oof.

Not to armchair too glibly here, but when watching that I kept wondering if pack boots (maybe with snowshoes?) would have been preferable to skinning for a chunk of this drainage.

Stoked to see more from Cody & friends.

awesome, that sunrise looks amazing.

Oh my....
    Horrible.
    Great Episode
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

That’s was great. What a way to kick off the year. Haha.

Would that approach get better as the winter goes on? Or is it always that bad?

^^ Pretty sure that was like late March given how sketchy the snowpack was basically everywhere before then. It was early mountaineering season, not ski season. I could be wrong though.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Pretty sure that was like late March given how sketchy the snowpack was basically everywhere before then. It was early mountaineering season, not ski season. I could be wrong though.
    Late march, early April. What I learned after our trip was that although it was a good snow year up in NW MT, it started so cold that they light snow never knocked down the alders. Then after that, it got warm and didn't snow too much. So it was actually just a horrible year to do Stimson...other than the upper face being caked. Pete Constain and Andy Zimet did it in 97 on one of the biggest down-low snow years on record...I'd advise anyone attempting this line to look for fat years down low to go for it....or just be prepared for one of the most frustrating ski tours in North America.

To other questions, yeah those were the QST Blanks...definitely paid a weight penalty for them. But enjoyed them for the descent and for not punching through the isothermic skinning on approach and exit.

Shakedry...yeah, weird people say that. I've never heard of that issue and really have never had an issue with that jacket. I love it for mix bag touring days like that.

I'm gonna ski with guides more often, that way there is more engagement with comment sections on threads and videos. Give the final product a little algorithmic boost if you know what I mean.

If the trend in MT is the same that it is in the Wasatch, the days of fat low-elevation snowpack are pretty much gone.

Which was mentally more taxing -- this adventure or your recent ultra? Congrats on killing both.

This may be old news but The ‘stache is awesome, bro. Looking forward to the rest of the season

Wow, what view from the summit. Wanted more of that. (I understand.)
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Late march, early April. What I learned after our trip was that although it was a good snow year up in NW MT, it started so cold that they light snow never knocked down the alders. Then after that, it got warm and didn't snow too much. So it was actually just a horrible year to do Stimson...other than the upper face being caked. Pete Constain and Andy Zimet did it in 97 on one of the biggest down-low snow years on record...I'd advise anyone attempting this line to look for fat years down low to go for it....or just be prepared for one of the most frustrating ski tours in North America.

To other questions, yeah those were the QST Blanks...definitely paid a weight penalty for them. But enjoyed them for the descent and for not punching through the isothermic skinning on approach and exit.

Shakedry...yeah, weird people say that. I've never heard of that issue and really have never had an issue with that jacket. I love it for mix bag touring days like that.

I'm gonna ski with guides more often, that way there is more engagement with comment sections on threads and videos. Give the final product a little algorithmic boost if you know what I mean.
    Ah got it. Makes sense.

I would love to see Bjarne do a gear video. So if you ever need more content I’d be really interested to see what he hails in his pack on these things.

good to see the episodes back! well done. i've done a lot of that type of skiing/suffering. normal day out in the Adirondacks. def glad to be not doing that all the time anymore!

great stuff thx again!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Which was mentally more taxing -- this adventure or your recent ultra? Congrats on killing both.
    This. I said it to Elyse the night of the ultra, the mountain sufferfests are so much tougher. I think it’s the lack of rhythm, the heavier gear, the remoteness, the navigation and having to use your brain the entire time to make critical decisions is what make the big ski missions tougher. The ultra was more painful as your muscles take an absolute beating but I think just being on a trail, with a lot of other people, a bunch of aid stations and not having to think about anything made it overall not as tough.

"I want to say that was awesome but that wasn't"
    "Tomorrow we'll think it's awesome"

Better you than me. FKNA.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Damn, that was a burley 3 days! I can't imagine doing all that bushwhacking; then, being turned around due to poor conditions. Congrats on having the mountain and weather allow y'all to get it done. Y'all must be living right.

Cheers!

Five Stars!!

The full range of emotions - despair, relief, nervy fear, accomplishment, and back to despair. Legit. Loved it.

The approach and reproach (deproach?) were the business, but the ski looked far from easy too. Steep, rocky, refrozen intermixed with warming pow (I think?), and oh yeah a close-out cliff at the bottom. Yay!

Nick Russell must be the best suffer-partner attitude you could ask for! What a mensch, quick to smile, and with a mellow cutty wit.

Also... nice extended and gratuitous shot of the over-instep-buckle mod on those Mtn Labs. Very funny mister!!
    sproing!

It's good to see it back. Thanks Cody and may your approaches be a little less shitty this year! It's pretty bad when snowshoes start seeming like a viable alternative.

I want to see more videos like this in the future. Hopefully it will reduce the popularity of backcountry skiing

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Ah got it. Makes sense.

I would love to see Bjarne do a gear video. So if you ever need more content I’d be really interested to see what he hails in his pack on these things.
    I'd like to see him do a fitness video. Everyone else is crushed on the summits and he always seems like he just got off a chairlift.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.