Page 18 of 132 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Avoid the egg salad.

as usual, love the behind the scenes look that these episodes give ya. If skiing this peak was in a normal ski movie, y'all would have ripped the shit out of pow conditions, and nobody would see that it was a second attempt, that in the first attempt y'all turned back because conditions were too heinous.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

this just gets better and better

Hmmn. These AK heli lines are looking more and more like a sneaky surprise crux. Good stuff.

Cody - do you use an airbag on any of these, or not (presumably due to extra weight on the climb up + decision on risk level at that time and place)?

Great stuff.

I have more and more respect for Bjarne Salén - and for Cody.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Hmmn. These AK heli lines are looking more and more like a sneaky surprise crux. Good stuff.
    Right? With those big AK lines everyone always thinks about avy conditions for the descent, but definitely a whole other ball game when you've got to spend hours climbing up them trying to find that balance between climb-able and ski-able - if they're buried in deep fresh snow it's going to be a major slog trying to get up there.

Little disappointed in this episode, I mean, we never found out who ate eggs? Such a cliffhanger... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by bw_wp_hedonism View Post
    Cody - do you use an airbag on any of these, or not (presumably due to extra weight on the climb up + decision on risk level at that time and place)?
    I did on Superior and that's it. I always have it with me and use it according to conditions and line. For instance, if Pontoon slid while we were on it, well floatation is the least of your concerns because there is hundreds of feet of cliffs and exposure below you. So for that, no need to carry the extra weight.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Right? With those big AK lines everyone always thinks about avy conditions for the descent, but definitely a whole other ball game when you've got to spend hours climbing up them trying to find that balance between climb-able and ski-able - if they're buried in deep fresh snow it's going to be a major slog trying to get up there.

Little disappointed in this episode, I mean, we never found out who ate eggs? Such a cliffhanger... ;-)

Yeah, that is the crux I put myself in with trying to climb every line, specifically these AK traditional heli-ski lines. Hell Dav, Art and Penn told me I should just heli them because that's what they intended in the book and by the time they released the book, no one had climbed and skied Pontoon or the Sphinx. Finding that line between it being soft and safe enough to ski but not too soft to make it not only a slog but to have overhead hazard is the crux of the AK lines.

Oh and I still don't know who ate those eggs. That was almost the gnarliest part of the entire day.

How the hell does someone snowboard barely edgable upper fifties terrain?

I'm glad I didn't need to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    How the hell does someone snowboard barely edgable upper fifties terrain?
    Ask Xavier De Le Rue

In the Pontoon episode on the climb you all mentioned 'eggs'. I've never heard that and didn't see anything what does that refer to?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

why is this not in the right forum, OP must be new here

is klar still in ak?

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    In the Pontoon episode on the climb you all mentioned 'eggs'. I've never heard that and didn't see anything what does that refer to?
    you have to be kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    you have to be kidding.
    nope had no idea. but i think i got it figured out from cody's post

coming to look forward to these weds episode drops
    i seem to recall someone in that crew having an affinity for hard boiled eggs

I really liked Bjarnes perspective that he didn't want to be sitting at home that night and angry that he'd done something stupid and gotten away with it.

most of us, get taught to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    I really liked Bjarnes perspective that he didn't want to be sitting at home that night and angry that he'd done something stupid and gotten away with it.
    Agreed. Many folks would state that they didn’t want to sit home that night angry they didn’t take the risk.

Bjarne is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    you have to be kidding.

i think he's fucking with us
    I ski the east.

Cody, is the Newton Clark Headwall part of the fifty project and if so do you have a general idea of when you will be skiing it?

it is part of the project

sure

Pretty funny episode if you ask me.

Cody, whose vizsla is that?

OMG, so highlarrious.
    watch out for snakes