Page 54 of 132 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    What do you think would be the ideal boot design?

If you could design a boot using current market tech, ignoring the feasibility of it, what would it look like?

I'm curious as to what you think, despite how unrealistic it may be, the "ideal" design would resemble.
    Ideally, the dream boot, to me:
    In short, it's a light boot that fits really well, walks really well and skis like a WC race boot. Pretty simple eh?

I could go into some of the details that I think would make that but let's just say there is not a single boot that exists today that even approaches that and I personally believe there is no current construction style that can be adapted to make a boot like that. There are severe limitations to overlap boots and three-piece boots--the two most common style of construction. Currently you want more power there is a negative trade off in walkability. You want more walkability there is a negative trade off in power. But I don't think it has to be this way, we just have to think really outside the box here and develop boots from a more engineering and mechanical perspective than what we're currently doing.

But anyways, as to future models, I can say we're working on something/ But when it's going to be ready...its no time soon that's for sure...especially with the shutdown and the question of future economics on the horizon. But one day hopefully we continue to make boots lighter, easier to walk in, more comfortable and more powerful. I'm pushing like hell in this realm that's for sure.

Cody, if you can mention to them that some people still have wide feet there are many people who'd be eternally grateful. ��

Quote Originally Posted by ddraver View Post
    Cody, if you can mention to them that some people still have wide feet there are many people who'd be eternally grateful. ��
    ... along with what possible purpose that narrow toe boxes can serve with any foot shape ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Almost every touring boot on the market is cavernous for people like me used to skiing plug boots. There’s a ton of options for wide feet, including punches. Basically none for low volume. Even the MTN boot is huge compared to a plug. Please someone make a high performance fit touring boot.

Cody did adding the front toe buckle fix the lower boot from deforming when driving the ski?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ This.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Seems like almost everyone who has the Tecnicas loves them. Especially those of us with high insteps.
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    This! I am a BIG fan of the technicas, pretty sure I will never stick my foot into another Scarpa.
    Agreed - the technicas are great.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Almost every touring boot on the market is cavernous for people like me used to skiing plug boots. There’s a ton of options for wide feet, including punches. Basically none for low volume. Even the MTN boot is huge compared to a plug. Please someone make a high performance fit touring boot.

Cody did adding the front toe buckle fix the lower boot from deforming when driving the ski?
    2nded.

I keep looking for a 1kg boot that's ~98mm in last and it's pretty slim pickings.

@Cody, do you think there's design that could work that's not 3-piece or overlap?

You hear a lot of people talk about walk-mode design and how that impacts the overall feeling of the boot. Do you agree this is a big issue with the performance-related aspect of the boots?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ... along with what possible purpose that narrow toe boxes can serve with any foot shape ;-)

... Thom
    Salomon especially man! Salomon used to be so good for big feet...

IMO, the future in ski boot shell design will incorporate something like this as a foundation. Gotta think way outta the box and see how the game will change once A.I. figures out the optimal ski boot shell design and construction methods.

Torsional twisting and shell deformation issues...eliminated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SkeletonMotorcycle.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	325115

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  6.3 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MauriceConti_2016X-embed.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	325113

Name:  3054028-inline-s-7-inside-the-hack-rod-the-worlds-first-ai-designed-car.jpg
Views: 1522
Size:  54.0 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 04-13-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    2nded.

You hear a lot of people talk about walk-mode design and how that impacts the overall feeling of the boot. Do you agree this is a big issue with the performance-related aspect of the boots?
    It's the biggest issue. You take an original ski boot design that completely envelops and locks down your foot from all angles and then attempt to unlock and create space in a key flex point (ankle) and you get massive performance issues. Walk modes evolved quickly over the past 5 years from simple spine locks that only lock downwards to spine locks that now lock on both sides and a host of other little creative solutions. Yet still, when you start to look at the 'V' cutouts in the back and how to lock/unlock that, the overlaps at front of the ankle, tongue style systems we got to a little bit of a plateau point.

SX91 with a vibram sole and tech fittings in the toe lug. Done. Salomon already has the molds. You’re welcome.

Some of you were asking about steep skiing a few pages back (something about whippets too)

This dude is doing some how-to vids on a snow pile outside his house. Some of the tips he gives are really useful.

(C'est en francais, mais il ya des sous-titrees en anglais)

Some of you were asking about steep skiing a few pages back (something about whippets too)

This dude is doing some how-to vids on a snow pile outside his house. Some of the tips he gives are really useful.

(C'est en francais, mais il ya des sous-titrees en anglais)
    Did you mean to post something?

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

It’s a virtual link

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Yeah I've been running so many different liners in my boots and I still don't have a preference. Currently I have a Intuition WC tongue that I cut and modded to have a touring bellow and am liking those decently enough. I've run the Intuition Pro Tour on expeditions and love it for that but they lose their power and fit in like a month. I've fun the Palau's and liked them for certain things but they have a lot of flaws. I've probably gone through most after market liners at some point in my years and still haven't found one I love.

Which are the Intuition WC tongue liners? Not familiar with one by that name. Did you just cut out the diamond shape in the back for touring purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox510 View Post
    Which are the Intuition WC tongue liners? Not familiar with one by that name. Did you just cut out the diamond shape in the back for touring purpose?
    ?
    Pro Tongue – Intuition Liners
    https://intuitionliners.com/shop/pro-tongue/
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Did you mean to post something?

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Ooh Sugar!

https://www.instagram.com/vivianbruc...ource=ig_embed

I’ve seen that guy somewhere before, but that first one he does with putting skis on and steep slopes was really good, concise, and I actually learned a thing or two.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I first seen an instep buckle when those freeski tv guys were up here trying to shoot a story, 5 yars later there is still no instep buckle on the mtn lab and other than the color the boot doesn't look much different ?

At the time I was thinking same boot fits 5 pro skiers, do I look like a moran ?

don't answer that
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I first seen an instep buckle when those freeski tv guys were up here trying to shoot a story, 5 yars later there is still no instep buckle on the mtn lab and other than the color the boot doesn't look much different ?

At the time I was thinking same boot fits 5 pro skiers, do I look like a moran ?

don't answer that
    Well said. I had a similar experience before electricity skiing w/ a couple of Greg Stumpish guys, and nobody wanted to be on those sx91's.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I’ve seen that guy somewhere before, but that first one he does with putting skis on and steep slopes was really good, concise, and I actually learned a thing or two.
    Just like setting up a belay on a multi pitch climb - don't drop shit (including yourself).

Me ... I'm always worried about dropping crap, even on tamer terrain. I like my leash attached to my ski boot idea (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/....php?p=5940350).

Did I mention that I drop shit?

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 04-14-2020 at 06:06 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Time to see his better half ski.

Edit:

One of the best lines of the series so far:

“I’m a professional skier, Duh. I’m not a professional walker. Let’s be real, we walked 14 miles to side slip down...halfway down a couloir”
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

For such horrible looking skiing I enjoyed the video a lot. I can't believe Cody took Elyse on that mission. That looked like a true suffer fest. Are there any lines in Idaho that aren't 10+ mile round trip uphill both ways lol?

Cody have you thought about having a shorter pair of QSTs for missions like these? Side slipping and hop turning on something in the low 170 range seems worth the trade off of shorter skis on the descent.

Name:  3wrtgk.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  48.4 KB
    But seriously can we get some more details/photos? Thanks

I think the real marriage test would be spending a night together in the GFC in the Stanley Basin

Great episode! So glad to have these as diversions "during this unprecedented time."

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Name:  3wrtgk.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  48.4 KB
    But seriously can we get some more details/photos? Thanks
    Those look like another manufacturer's version of the Billy Goat Tech Ascent plates: https://billygoattech.com/
    sproing!