Page 107 of 132 FirstFirst ... 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 ... LastLast
Results 2,651 to 2,675 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    To answer most of the questions in here.

1. If we had a rock rack with pitons and lead rope we may have tried to pass through. But it was also rock that was that super slick glacier polish granite and little ice so could've been still quite hairy scary. The only reason to pass through would be to investigate if we could ski above the point we did ski and then rap back through. The question of whether it was 'done' is more in the question of not knowing. If we could pass through just to rap back through again, it definitely feels done. If we could link up a few turns, then rap, then ski again...then it might not feel as done. But all in all, I ain't going back for that line regardless. It's just not worth it. Sure it's beautiful but there are a lot of great couloirs, even better couloirs that don't either require a long flight in or mega-bushwhack multi-week sufferfest to get in.
    2. We got dropped off at about 6:00pm, not too much of a safety window to get it done before it went pitch black.
    3. I think Kye and Johnny's line was radder than Combatant.
    4. Lhutz--you and me both. It probably felt like a bit of a let down because it was a let down for me personally. I just felt like it all wasn't worth it. The drive to the middle of nowhere, the lack of any real challenge and the fact that it is most likely is deteriorating a ton and a teeny tiny part of that reason it's fading away is because of the travel it takes to get there.
    5. Something like that may or may not be in the works...

Ultimately, this line is done and checked off for me not because of any rules to top out, to ski every skiable inch or do it in some sort of collectively judged style. It's done for me because it just wasn't that cool. It was one of the first lines I skied away from and truly questioned stopping this entire project. The whole strike mission left a sour taste in my mouth. It felt like the most selfish part of this entire project, it felt like I was just making episodes and cranking out content for a hungry audience. It just sort of all felt stupid considering the context of everything.

Oh and lastly, I do think it possibly still could be done from the top. It would need a miracle June snowstorm of the wettest, warmest plaster and about three feet of it. But even then, with old photos showing that the top was once rocky, the firn would prop up that spring snow to make the upper sections skiable. The firn in old photos used to extend past the choke, from what we saw, the rocks that were popping out at our high point were super slick, barely frozen in, blocky granite pieces that had been under firn for a very very very long time. Weirdly, it's easier for new snow to stick to ice than it is glacier polished super steep granite. So again, it would need a miracle in my mind to be skiable from the top and who knows, someone could be in the right place at the right time. But that ain't gonna be me because that is far too big of a travel and time investment to keep going up there to see if it fills in.

One last thing, we were skiing about 12 inches of blower pow on the firn itself. It was blue tinged and has icy and hard of snow I've ever skied.
    I appreciate your self reflection about the “strike mission” and “just ticking a box” vibe of this episode. It must be super challenging to maintain the true spirit of adventure and expression of authentic joy that more often comes through.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I appreciate your self reflection about the “strike mission” and “just ticking a box” vibe of this episode. It must be super challenging to maintain the true spirit of adventure and expression of authentic joy that more often comes through.
    That's what TIncup is for.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The FIFTY

There are people out there who will say that line didn’t count because Cody and crew didn’t top out. Those people are also the worst.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There are people out there who will say that line didn’t count because Cody and crew didn’t top out. Those people are also the worst.
    Agree. He and McNutt couldn’t have explained their reasoning any better. Fuck “those” salty people.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Agree. He and McNutt couldn’t have explained their reasoning any better. Fuck “those” salty people.

i mean are there really people like this who exist, or are we making up boogey men in our head?

Ya, all the dorks on Earth trying to check off arbitrary tick lists.

There was a dude in the Adirondacks back in the day attempting to shit in every outhouse in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    i mean are there really people like this who exist, or are we making up boogey men in our head?
    In the mountaineering community there’s unfortunately many of these types. Far less so in the skiing community.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

People take some things way to seriously.

Personally I just enjoy watching someone live a life very few get to enjoy, be it sufferfesting to the summit or taking a sweet heli ride. Bonus for us is he shares it.

I think it’s really just the juxtaposition between a multi episode traverse to the sweet heli ride that seemed out of place. I bet if it had been between any other episodes it wouldn’t seem so out of place.

Thanks for sharing it with us Alka.

Blah blah blah.

Next line.

Ski
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by ey_allen View Post
    Well I for one am part of that hungry audience specifically because The Fifty is not some churned out ski-bro content. There are plenty of other channels on YouTube where I can get that fix. Thats not a criticism of this episode, more so a statement that I'll keep watching even if the episodes aren't on a set schedule. I'd hate to see you all get burned out trying to feed the beast.

What I appreciate most is the thoughtful approach to the mountains and these lines, the discussions around safety, and the willingness to turn around. It feels much more realistic than the highly edited and polished content typically produced but with real objectives on the line. I don't get that from other channels so I'd happily wait weeks, months, or years between episodes if thats what it takes for your crew to be happy with the product and how it is made.
    Agree with everything, but to put a point on the editing, it's so polished that it doesn't call attention to itself as being so.

I can think of no higher compliment.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Some Colorado winter 14er people have argued that someone can’t claim a solo climb because he used an existing snowshoe/skin track.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Some Colorado winter 14er people have argued that someone can’t claim a solo climb because he used an existing snowshoe/skin track.
    I don’t think you can claim a 14er unless you knit your own outerwear. Gore Tex makes it too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post

That can't actually be a thing....

...can it?

I'm starting my ethical attempt at a 14r now by killing a bison, making goretex outerwear out of it. I'm also going to mine silver by hand for a couple months as an omage to history.

Thanks for the close to home line, good video and great sound track. I did like that you included the fun of a regular Rockies ski out gravel and all.
    Move along nothing to see here.

I've been in the cody socks daily for the season. Solid. Highly recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    great sound track
    Major Knight Rider/Miami Vice vibes on the ski down.
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    I'm starting my ethical attempt at a 14r now by killing a bison, making goretex outerwear out of it. I'm also going to mine silver by hand for a couple months as an omage to history.
    No no no, you have to start with your feet in the ocean, buck naked and walk to the summit from the ocean while avoiding even seeing a single person, a single human or animal track, plane flying overhead and without looking at the stars or sun for navigation to call it a solo, unaided ascent and descent. There are rules here people. If we don't have rules in the mountains then how are we to have fun!

Are you gonna bring a compressor on your next trip? Or some tnt ?

I'm going to keep citing this every time we get into a "but did it count" discussion: https://semi-rad.com/2017/05/but-did...ally-climb-it/

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    There was a dude in the Adirondacks back in the day attempting to shit in every outhouse in the park.
    i think I could tackle "The Fifty Shitters" - the 50 best ski trailhead bathrooms to shit in. I'd invite a local influencer at each location do a tandem poop and they could tell the audience what makes this toilet really special to them. Maybe also do a behind-the-scenes podcast of the series, about each video, called 'The Bowel Movement.'

Would make a real nice coffee table book too.

Smile

Great to see Doug Ward in this. Rockies legend and knows how to pronounce Névé
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Jakal View Post
    Great to see Doug Ward in this. Rockies legend and knows how to pronounce Névé
    He said it directly to me multiple times correctly and yet, I still can't fucking pronounce it. It's like a brain block for me. Such a great guy and total fucking legend.

Giving you a hard time. Mountain terms can be bitch. Aręte, couloir, cwm. Ha!

Great seeing Skyladder in condition for you. It sure has changed a bunch over the years (from good to bad to good and so on).
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)