Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
Results 576 to 600 of 805

Thread: The FIFTY

  1. #576
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Probably because Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.
    Folks can be their own worst critics. We see our flaws which are invisible to others.

    I think you guys started at a very high level, and the fact that you're building on this is a testament to your professionalism.

    Thanks!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  2. #577
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    SW, CO for now
    Posts
    551
    I just binge watched from episode 6 through 12. So, so good. Makes me want to go plan for some rad adventure that starts to0 early and ends after sundown.

    This is great stuff Cody and Bjarne. Thanks for sharing.

  3. #578
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,757
    Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Totally. Always more room for explosions and training montages...

  4. #579
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    cordova,AK
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Probably because Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.
    guess your not on University
    off your knees Louie

  5. #580
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Summit North
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Cody and Bjarne, you have entered the realm of mentoring through social media.
    Whether you know it or not.
    ^^^
    This...

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.
    The whole series is really outstanding, keep doing what you are doing.
    Educational, (hella) aspirational and entertaining.

    Alpental Indigenous
    Member PNWFSC

  6. #581
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Exiled from Maine
    Posts
    243
    The only thing this series is missing is a TGR pro callout in some absolutely remote locale. "Hey are you Cody Townsend? I can't believe you're a pro..."

    Preferably at the rally spot after a 20 hour day.

  7. #582
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    guess your not on University
    Nah, was trying for it this year but after three+ months of begging, pleading and negotiating with the Park's Service we weren't able to secure permits in time. So hopefully the next year or year after.

  8. #583
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    Having skied the Grand as well as performing several other rappels in winter conditions, you really need to wear crampons to help control your descent. There are some ice bulges in the Stettner and having crampons on to gain purchase on the bulges helps you control the rappel. If you just have ski boots or keep your skis on, you could easily lose control of your rappel if your foot or skis slip when dropping over one of the bulges.
    I'll like 3rd, 4th or 5th this statement. Plus beyond controlling the rappel you never know when you're going to have to down climb, which we ended up doing through the whole last rap because we were sick of rappelling and it felt safe enough to down climb. A lot of the time you don't know where the ends of your rope end up and if they're ten feet above the next anchor, you don't want to be having to put crampons on, while on rappel in the gun barrel of a couloir with overhead hazard. Unless I can see where I'm going and can leave my skis on knowing that the rappel is clean and the transition point is moderate, I always put crampons on for rappelling.

  9. #584
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    So good. Jimmy can’t even remember how many times he’s skied The Grand? wow
    He’s kinda an alpha male, you think?

    If you mean Alpha Male like the kind that drinks Monster and yells at their kids for being pussies, not even in the slightest. I actually don't even know what you're getting at here. I'd say 99% of the people I go into the mountains with are from Alpha Males. Because to me, ego and hyper masculinity, things associated with this Alpha Male thing you speak of, usually do not make good skiers/alpinists/ski mountaineers, the usually make for quickly dead skiers/alpinists/ski mountaineers.

  10. #585
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    cordova,AK
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Nah, was trying for it this year but after three+ months of begging, pleading and negotiating with the Park's Service we weren't able to secure permits in time. So hopefully the next year or year after.
    thank's for the response. I guess you need a special use permit due to the filming. Bummer kind of takes away the ability to just show up and get up. Good luck on the effort. Looking forward to more episodes. Also appears you hiked in to Meteorite. Something you don't see anymore. Well done.
    off your knees Louie

  11. #586
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    No longer Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,100
    Excellent episode on the Grand! Keep bringing the stoke and inspiring others.

  12. #587
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,782
    Cody, I watch these with my kid. We don't really know anything about climbing mountains, but, as skiers, we are stoked to follow along and see the tops of these hills with you. Very cool series!

  13. #588
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,058

    The FIFTY

    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    If you mean Alpha Male like the kind that drinks Monster and yells at their kids for being pussies, not even in the slightest. I actually don't even know what you're getting at here. I'd say 99% of the people I go into the mountains with are from Alpha Males. Because to me, ego and hyper masculinity, things associated with this Alpha Male thing you speak of, usually do not make good skiers/alpinists/ski mountaineers, the usually make for quickly dead skiers/alpinists/ski mountaineers.
    Well, to be fair, I think he meant a real alpha male (confident and capable without needing to flex or show off) not the poser wannabe variety you describe. I laughed though! That guy definitely drives a black pickup truck with a monster sticker on the back window... and probably has a small penis.

  14. #589
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    813
    Echoing -- the series is excellent on many counts, from entertainment to stoke to decision-making chatter to mountain high blather. And of course, the appearance of 22D's Lynx 2-pin telemark binding on Guidebook Guy was brilliant.

    Cheers.

  15. #590
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Nah, was trying for it this year but after three+ months of begging, pleading and negotiating with the Park's Service we weren't able to secure permits in time. So hopefully the next year or year after.
    That's weird I would have assumed you could just go. What is the rationalization for requiring a permit? Or is there some motorized transport involved, or was it for something like drone permit? A video production within the park permit?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  16. #591
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,502
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's weird I would have assumed you could just go. What is the rationalization for requiring a permit? Or is there some motorized transport involved, or was it for something like drone permit? A video production within the park permit?
    Operating a commercial project on public lands requires a permit. Complete endeavors have been quashed after the fact because of this lack of foresight.

  17. #592
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,058

    The FIFTY

    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's weird I would have assumed you could just go. What is the rationalization for requiring a permit? Or is there some motorized transport involved, or was it for something like drone permit? A video production within the park permit?
    Regardless of filming, I donít think itís all that unusual. Donít you need a permit for Whitney for example? Frank just referenced that in the Eastern Sierra thread recently, I believe (or maybe it was Facebook).

  18. #593
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,244
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Regardless of filming, I don’t think it’s all that unusual. Don’t you need a permit for Whitney for example? Frank just referenced that in the Eastern Sierra thread recently, I believe (or maybe it was Facebook).
    Yes but that's because of the massive volume of people that would otherwise inundate the highest peak in the lower 48.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  19. #594
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,244
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Operating a commercial project on public lands requires a permit. Complete endeavors have been quashed after the fact because of this lack of foresight.
    Davenport Syndrome?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  20. #595
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,502
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Davenport Syndrome?
    Yep.

  21. #596
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's weird I would have assumed you could just go. What is the rationalization for requiring a permit? Or is there some motorized transport involved, or was it for something like drone permit? A video production within the park permit?
    Well technically my production company I started for this project doesn't need a permit. I was labelled by Grand Teton National Park as a "personal project" and not a "commercial project". For any sort of commercial filming the Parks Service requires a permit and a lengthy, loopholed and personal discretion filled approval process. The law is about the most gray-area law I've found being that the judgement and application of punishment is up to regional managers of the Parks.
    But due to some production partnering within the project for University, we need permits but Wrangell St. Elias National Park was denying us. There were other factors in pulling the plug on an attempt this year too but ultimately it came to the threat of federal prosecution and not getting permits for it.

  22. #597
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,074

    The FIFTY

    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Well, to be fair, I think he meant a real alpha male (confident and capable without needing to flex or show off) not the poser wannabe variety you describe. I laughed though! That guy definitely drives a black pickup truck with a monster sticker on the back window... and probably has a small penis.
    This is what I meant. Iíve watched a lot of interviews with him, and he seems so secure and humble.
    Edit to add, I met Arthur Miller a long time ago, and we had a nice conversation, and he struck me as being the ultimate alpha male.
    Last edited by plugboots; 05-11-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  23. #598
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    20,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    There were other factors in pulling the plug on an attempt this year too but ultimately it came to the threat of federal prosecution and not getting permits for it.
    I hear the threat of federal prosecution is all the rage this year!
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  24. #599
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    12,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    There were other factors in pulling the plug on an attempt this year too but ultimately it came to the threat of federal prosecution and not getting permits for it.
    Can't you just get some of the new ground penetrating radar skis and say you're looking for oil?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  25. #600
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    cb, co
    Posts
    3,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Well technically my production company I started for this project doesn't need a permit. I was labelled by Grand Teton National Park as a "personal project" and not a "commercial project".
    I was wondering how all this was working, especially remembering Dav's 14er movie that he couldn't release due to the Wilderness area footage. Sounds like the least fun part of your project, by far. Hope you're able to make some progress with it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •