Page 55 of 132 FirstFirst ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Yes, but who?
    A built in crampon front? Tapered design. There seems to be some neat design going on there beyond the Vert/Billy Goat Plates that are already out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Those look like another manufacturer's version of the Billy Goat Tech Ascent plates: https://billygoattech.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Attachment 325328
    But seriously can we get some more details/photos? Thanks
    This dude in Austria hit me up this fall and we've been working on his prototypes since. This was the first pair I tried and there still is a little bit to go on them but overall, they're insane. The main factor is that they're carbon fiber and light as a feather. More testing in terms of fitment system and making sure they're durable to come.

Another fun episode. You’re a lucky dude, Cody. I can’t even get my wife to ski at a regular hill with lifts anymore. And yours handles the gratuitous outdoor rip better then mine too.

Another great episode and definitely include Elyse in some more of these... if you can convince her after that!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Another great episode and definitely include Elyse in some more of these... if you can convince her after that!
    Right. Maybe you should have eased her in a bit more, lol.

It's taken me a while but I've gotten better at figuring out which adventures are wife adventures and which are better off solo. Something about type 1 fun? Ha

You guys know (I'm not sure Cody even remembers) she was already in Episode 3, Terminal Cancer. That pretty much defines easing into it. Having said that I've done it when you could skin most of the way up and when you wanted crampons.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

They look very helpful for the...ahem...larger of us

I don’t understand why, but my wife kept looking at me and nodding her head throughout this latest episode, and it reminded me why (except under exceptional conditions) skiing pinner couloirs usually sucks ass.
    I’m also finding that compared to earlier episodes, not explicitly acknowledging the filmers and their participation/process seems contrived to me.

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    This dude in Austria hit me up this fall and we've been working on his prototypes since. This was the first pair I tried and there still is a little bit to go on them but overall, they're insane. The main factor is that they're carbon fiber and light as a feather. More testing in terms of fitment system and making sure they're durable to come.
    How about those snazzy new axes? Any reason you switched from the Petzls?

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’m also finding that compared to earlier episodes, not explicitly acknowledging the filmers and their participation/process seems contrived to me.
    I don't follow this at all. They're having conversations throughout, giving fist bumps. There's hardly the illusion of the invisible cameraman.

This dude in Austria hit me up this fall and we've been working on his prototypes since. .
    sooo you also got some Rax skis, right?

edit: and thats the only thing i miss about having kids: I can't go out with my favourite touring partner anymore (--> my wife). But im Looking forward to the day the kid(s?) are old enough and we can put them in ski school for a few hours.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I don't follow this at all. They're having conversations throughout, giving fist bumps. There's hardly the illusion of the invisible cameraman.
    I've noticed that some of the other people aren't even mentioned. Who was the dude with the split board? Or on the Shuksan episode Jason Hummel wasn't even mentioned? I've wondered what the reasoning is for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    I've noticed that some of the other people aren't even mentioned. Who was the dude with the split board? Or on the Shuksan episode Jason Hummel wasn't even mentioned? I've wondered what the reasoning is for that?
    It just sometimes doesn't come up nor is warranted. That's the reality of it. My goal with each episode is to tell one singular, focused story and things that distract from that story get cut or not mentioned. As harsh as it sounds mentioning Ming wasn't essential to the story that focused on Elyse and her first time doing this. If there is one thing I've learned from creating this series, coming up with the ideas and then going through 3-5 edits before release is that in video based storytelling, you cannot distract, even in the slightest bit, from the central theme or story you're trying to tell. There are so many shots that I love that hit the cutting room floor because the tone, wording or focus of that shot distracts from the mini-segment within the episode or the episode as a whole. If a shot doesn't add to the story, then it's cut.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyasian View Post
    How about those snazzy new axes? Any reason you switched from the Petzls?
    Because they're insanely light. 187gm for each axe...nearly 100 gm lighter than the Petzl Gully. I got them in anticipation of the biggest of missions that are yet to come. They're an axe that is not necessary for something like The Sickle but I like to test heavily before being 7 grand up University, on blue ice and realize they don't work all that well. They're additions to the quiver.

Any ideal how many episodes you’re going to be able to drop this year with the shortened season?

Also, how did you pick that one for your wife to join? She is obviously very accomplished, but I can imagine there are other lines on the list that may be a bit better for marital harmony. In other words, did you expect the conditions at the top to be as they were and did that factor into your go/no go decision?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Those look like another manufacturer's version of the Billy Goat Tech Ascent plates: https://billygoattech.com/
    Not really the same, but didn't some mag's do something like that with modified milk crates?

187gm for each axe.. on blue ice.
    That sounds terrifying.

I appreciate that you don't mind sidestepping/slipping when conditions warrant and don't cover that fact up.

Carbon fiber & crampon compatible? Shiiiiiiiiiit... Verts are already $100, gonna need to sell a kidney when these become available for purchase.
    Vert guy had some protos in the shop last time I stopped by, over 1/2 of the material removed in non-essential sections. They were half the weight of the existing ones without loss of durability or function. Still, they're only good in soft snow...

It just sometimes doesn't come up nor is warranted. That's the reality of it. My goal with each episode is to tell one singular, focused story and things that distract from that story get cut or not mentioned. As harsh as it sounds mentioning Ming wasn't essential to the story that focused on Elyse and her first time doing this. If there is one thing I've learned from creating this series, coming up with the ideas and then going through 3-5 edits before release is that in video based storytelling, you cannot distract, even in the slightest bit, from the central theme or story you're trying to tell. There are so many shots that I love that hit the cutting room floor because the tone, wording or focus of that shot distracts from the mini-segment within the episode or the episode as a whole. If a shot doesn't add to the story, then it's cut.
    Makes total sense to me. I can't imagine how much time goes into creating a concise story when you have footage from a 12 hour ski mission.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Not really the same, but didn't some mag's do something like that with modified milk crates?
    I've had a friend of mine make me some. Carbon plates with holes for crampons then ski straps to keep it on your feet. super light.

I know for the most part, people ski around here, but Karakoram makes some awesome lightweight verts that interface with their binding systems for the splitboarders in the thread:
    https://www.splitboardbindings.com/s...-front-points/

Our buddy Jay uses those when setting bootpacks around the home court. Every single one of his bootpacks he's set with his pair of those has been bomber and lasted until the next storm

Quote Originally Posted by Buke View Post
    Makes total sense to me. I can't imagine how much time goes into creating a concise story when you have footage from a 12 hour ski mission.
    Yeah, thanks for the good editing. Appreciated.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Or, like in Elyse's case, they just ski it better than you. I'd edit that shit out too.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
    Any ideal how many episodes you’re going to be able to drop this year with the shortened season?

Also, how did you pick that one for your wife to join? She is obviously very accomplished, but I can imagine there are other lines on the list that may be a bit better for marital harmony. In other words, did you expect the conditions at the top to be as they were and did that factor into your go/no go decision?
    Got one more episode to go and then that's it. Right as we were about to hit the honey pot of the season too. Right when all the lines I have left in Revy are filled in like they haven't been in years and in their biggest stretch of perfect temp high pressure they've had in over a decade. It's literally perfect there right now and yup...it's a no go. Total bummer but there are worse things in the world to have happen than a selfish ski project being cut short. There is a chance for one more this season though and if it happens they way I want it to happen, should be pretty epic.

For Elyse, I just wanted a line that wasn't too big in terms of vert since she tours so rarely but had a little bit of a steep pucker factor to it. From the day before's mission I would've guessed it would've been better than it was. But since it got skied out many times before us, it was heinous. Definitely didn't expect that but hey, that's what happens when you're trying to do 50 lines in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleOfNight View Post
    Yup. Dairylandr o.g.'s and the new for 2020, 2.0's.

They're basically like super nimble rock climbing shoes for specific snow conditions. I'm super stoked that the engineers OBVIOUSLY designed the waffle pattern sections for optimal grip in/on a variety of snow surfaces. The latest testing venues included bare ground sections and these things were awesome. As compared A/B to just using ski and hiking boots: Better float and grip in soft, deep spongy steep moss, tip of the toe grip for edging on little rock nubbins on micro cliff bands, positive tactile purchase on branch stubs on log crossings...seamless transitions while walking/climbing from/to snow/non snow sections in old growth forest approaches to ski lines. Employing the figure of 8 orientation of ski straps allows for multiple fore/aft boot positions in relation to the tip of the units to optimize balance point and grip preference. Also allows for adjustable foot angle to provide toe in or toe out duck stance, again for optimizing for different conditions presented.

Scouring dumpsters and hushed toned cash transaction, clandestino biz deals in back allies behind restaurants and corner stores, provided enough milk crate, yellow raw material stockpile for more units, mods and hacks.

Next up: the tail extendr dairylandr....more float for true deeper pow conditions. Like the old back yard wrenchin', hot rod car guys always say; there's no substitute for cubic inches.

Name:  P1120761.JPG
Views: 1487
Size:  113.7 KB
    Name:  P1120760.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  98.2 KB
    Name:  P1130117.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  132.3 KB
    Last edited by swissiphic; 04-17-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.