Page 74 of 82 FirstFirst ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 2037

Thread: The FIFTY

  1. #1826
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,637
    Not jealous of that one. Oof.

  2. #1827
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    6,544
    Bushwhack from hell! Jeezus, I've done shit bushwack like that for a couple of hours and was back drinking beers pretty quick. I cannot imagine that one. No thanks. Mental toughness to the next level.

  3. #1828
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Helena
    Posts
    477
    That bushwacking hits home after moving up here and trying to find new places to backcountry close to Helena. Obviously not to that level but not having a snow machine is just brutal. That was seriously impressive.

  4. #1829
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Am I seeing right that he hauled the 2200gram+ Blank on that mission?
    And on the gear topic, somehow that goretex shakedry jacket the internet is convinced will fall apart while wearing a backpack appeared to survive the biggest bushwack ever.

  5. #1830
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,076
    Quote Originally Posted by toastybroski View Post
    That bushwacking hits home after moving up here and trying to find new places to backcountry close to Helena. Obviously not to that level but not having a snow machine is just brutal. That was seriously impressive.
    Yeah, that sort of bushwack is fairly par for the course on lots of stuff around here. I usually feel like the fun / misery ratio is going a bit off kilter if I have to thrash for more than an hour. Doing it all day like that (and then again on the way out) is next level.

  6. #1831
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Not Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,637
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Bushwhack from hell! Jeezus, I've done shit bushwack like that for a couple of hours and was back drinking beers pretty quick. I cannot imagine that one. No thanks. Mental toughness to the next level.
    This. I've done 10+ mile approaches with a heavy pack, and I've done some fucked up shwacking. I have zero desire to put the two together. I got impatient and frustrated just watching.

  7. #1832
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,461
    Shwackattack. Oof.

    Not to armchair too glibly here, but when watching that I kept wondering if pack boots (maybe with snowshoes?) would have been preferable to skinning for a chunk of this drainage.

    Stoked to see more from Cody & friends.
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  8. #1833
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Paper St. Soap Co.
    Posts
    2,778
    awesome, that sunrise looks amazing.

  9. #1834
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,883
    Oh my....
    Horrible.
    Great Episode
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  10. #1835
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    7,168
    Thatís was great. What a way to kick off the year. Haha.

    Would that approach get better as the winter goes on? Or is it always that bad?

  11. #1836
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    13,244
    ^^ Pretty sure that was like late March given how sketchy the snowpack was basically everywhere before then. It was early mountaineering season, not ski season. I could be wrong though.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  12. #1837
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    ^^ Pretty sure that was like late March given how sketchy the snowpack was basically everywhere before then. It was early mountaineering season, not ski season. I could be wrong though.
    Late march, early April. What I learned after our trip was that although it was a good snow year up in NW MT, it started so cold that they light snow never knocked down the alders. Then after that, it got warm and didn't snow too much. So it was actually just a horrible year to do Stimson...other than the upper face being caked. Pete Constain and Andy Zimet did it in 97 on one of the biggest down-low snow years on record...I'd advise anyone attempting this line to look for fat years down low to go for it....or just be prepared for one of the most frustrating ski tours in North America.

    To other questions, yeah those were the QST Blanks...definitely paid a weight penalty for them. But enjoyed them for the descent and for not punching through the isothermic skinning on approach and exit.

    Shakedry...yeah, weird people say that. I've never heard of that issue and really have never had an issue with that jacket. I love it for mix bag touring days like that.

    I'm gonna ski with guides more often, that way there is more engagement with comment sections on threads and videos. Give the final product a little algorithmic boost if you know what I mean.

  13. #1838
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    14,901
    If the trend in MT is the same that it is in the Wasatch, the days of fat low-elevation snowpack are pretty much gone.

  14. #1839
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    4,993
    Which was mentally more taxing -- this adventure or your recent ultra? Congrats on killing both.

  15. #1840
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,632
    This may be old news but The Ďstache is awesome, bro. Looking forward to the rest of the season

  16. #1841
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    9,302
    Wow, what view from the summit. Wanted more of that. (I understand.)
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  17. #1842
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Late march, early April. What I learned after our trip was that although it was a good snow year up in NW MT, it started so cold that they light snow never knocked down the alders. Then after that, it got warm and didn't snow too much. So it was actually just a horrible year to do Stimson...other than the upper face being caked. Pete Constain and Andy Zimet did it in 97 on one of the biggest down-low snow years on record...I'd advise anyone attempting this line to look for fat years down low to go for it....or just be prepared for one of the most frustrating ski tours in North America.

    To other questions, yeah those were the QST Blanks...definitely paid a weight penalty for them. But enjoyed them for the descent and for not punching through the isothermic skinning on approach and exit.

    Shakedry...yeah, weird people say that. I've never heard of that issue and really have never had an issue with that jacket. I love it for mix bag touring days like that.

    I'm gonna ski with guides more often, that way there is more engagement with comment sections on threads and videos. Give the final product a little algorithmic boost if you know what I mean.
    Ah got it. Makes sense.

    I would love to see Bjarne do a gear video. So if you ever need more content Iíd be really interested to see what he hails in his pack on these things.

  18. #1843
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,481
    good to see the episodes back! well done. i've done a lot of that type of skiing/suffering. normal day out in the Adirondacks. def glad to be not doing that all the time anymore!

    great stuff thx again!

  19. #1844
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,207
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Which was mentally more taxing -- this adventure or your recent ultra? Congrats on killing both.
    This. I said it to Elyse the night of the ultra, the mountain sufferfests are so much tougher. I think itís the lack of rhythm, the heavier gear, the remoteness, the navigation and having to use your brain the entire time to make critical decisions is what make the big ski missions tougher. The ultra was more painful as your muscles take an absolute beating but I think just being on a trail, with a lot of other people, a bunch of aid stations and not having to think about anything made it overall not as tough.

  20. #1845
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    26,800
    "I want to say that was awesome but that wasn't"
    "Tomorrow we'll think it's awesome"

    Better you than me. FKNA.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  21. #1846
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Wasatch Back
    Posts
    170
    Damn, that was a burley 3 days! I can't imagine doing all that bushwhacking; then, being turned around due to poor conditions. Congrats on having the mountain and weather allow y'all to get it done. Y'all must be living right.

    Cheers!

  22. #1847
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2,494
    Five Stars!!

    The full range of emotions - despair, relief, nervy fear, accomplishment, and back to despair. Legit. Loved it.

    The approach and reproach (deproach?) were the business, but the ski looked far from easy too. Steep, rocky, refrozen intermixed with warming pow (I think?), and oh yeah a close-out cliff at the bottom. Yay!

    Nick Russell must be the best suffer-partner attitude you could ask for! What a mensch, quick to smile, and with a mellow cutty wit.

    Also... nice extended and gratuitous shot of the over-instep-buckle mod on those Mtn Labs. Very funny mister!!

  23. #1848
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,644
    It's good to see it back. Thanks Cody and may your approaches be a little less shitty this year! It's pretty bad when snowshoes start seeming like a viable alternative.

  24. #1849
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    4,839
    I want to see more videos like this in the future. Hopefully it will reduce the popularity of backcountry skiing

  25. #1850
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    14,627
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Ah got it. Makes sense.

    I would love to see Bjarne do a gear video. So if you ever need more content Iíd be really interested to see what he hails in his pack on these things.
    I'd like to see him do a fitness video. Everyone else is crushed on the summits and he always seems like he just got off a chairlift.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •