Page 16 of 132 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Even by the time I drove to get cell service at the switchbacks I could barely talk on the phone because I was still out of breath. It was a full sprint. But what else would you do when you think someone might live or die based on your own actions...?
    Been there, done that, multiple times. Haul ass and breathe. Sweet rally.

Did the victim read the climb it first thread?

RE: EP 8
    that is not a slope that i could ski 100yds of...

glad the team got down safely

& extra props to bjarne & ming who did not just climb & ski, but managed drones and getting angles and being the interviewer/director/editor on site

i imagine cody has a bunch of "executive" business in these projects that goes unseen as the process unfolds too

just amazing stuff

looked like climbing a ladder with death exposure. Very rad.....

Nice job.

These keep getting better! Loving the series! As others have commented, the best parts are showing a real perspective, warts and nerves and toilet paper, and all. Great job and looking forward to the Assspen episodes!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Enjoying the series. Good luck on the journey. Surprised you came for the Sphinx in the midst of an extended high pressure. But it does show the difficulty of catching things in good conditions. Good luck you and Bjarne seem like a good crew to have this opportunity.

interesting that Cody notes he had skied stuff like that at full throttle. What was different now? Conditions? Equipment?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Did the victim read the climb it first thread?
    lmao

I hate downclimbing steep snow. It must have been really bad.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    interesting that Cody notes he had skied stuff like that at full throttle. What was different now? Conditions? Equipment?
    Conditions. He also mentioned at the bottom of the run he had never been to AK in anything but hero MSP movie snow
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Exactly, not to mention... he was skiing alone. Maybe he just likes to ski, and do shit on his own and not talk to people about it, (other than his close friends and family, possibly).
    Not sure when the "controversy" over dude soloing Central began. If it was when I used the word "maniac", know that I was not judging, or questioning anything about that decision. I just meant: wow...gnarly (as I did say).

I've done many solo adventures on rock and on skis (including some pretty remote skis where I didn't see a single other person all day). For me, I never pushed too close to the edge of my ability. But I had a climbing buddy who was a somewhat famous free-soloist, who would regularly push it to within a letter grade or two of his roped-lead limit (which was crazy high to begin with). I used to call him a maniac all the time - not as criticism, but out of respect and awe. He eventually died free soloing, but even then I never questioned or judged his decisions, including on that day.

By definition, going solo is as personal of a decision as one can make. There is simply no questioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I hate downclimbing steep snow. It must have been really bad.

On slippery rocks with rot on top of huge exposure? YAY!
    dirtbag, not a dentist

...OTOH, folks saying the outcome on Central wouldn't have been any different whether dude was solo or not are simply being obtuse. I mean, that is true I suppose, but only because Cody & Co happened to be there at the right instant. If they hadn't seen the fall, the difference between that guy being solo or not could have been the difference between life and death. Obviously, this is often the case when things go terribly wrong on solo endeavors, and is something one has to accept when making the decision to go it alone.

In other news: the Sphinx is my favorite episode yet - aesthetically superb. And the exposure on that ridge got me adrenaline-pumped just watching it!

This series has been just plain superb- a unique combination of ambition and humility. I look forward to every episode.

Cody, what would you say are some things you've learned so far?

Can't wait to see the episode from the line skied this week... A few people have been in there and it looks amazing.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Sphinx looked beautiful up there. So aesthetic. That hardpack landing over the burchsrund hurt my back watching. Props for grabbing extra shit tickets and soldiering on

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

more awesome!!!! but cmon maaaaan, you can count that shit. or now that u climbed it, does that mean that next time u can get the gravy train bump to the top n ski it rock star style?

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    more awesome!!!! but cmon maaaaan, you can count that shit. or now that u climbed it, does that mean that next time u can get the gravy train bump to the top n ski it rock star style?
    Yeah, a lot of people told me that, but it's just sort of a personal reason. To me, that line starts at the top and goes skier's left of the rock. It just felt dirty and yucky to try to claim that as a full descent. I don't subscribe to any sort of ski ethics beyond personal ones and that one personally didn't feel completed. Oh and yeah, the heli bump to the top has crossed my mind...

I don't subscribe to any sort of ski ethics beyond personal ones and that one personally didn't feel completed. ...
    much respect for this whole sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    much respect for this whole sentiment.
    X2

x3

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Quality post.

I was drinking a beer with my guide at the end of a 5 day tour a few weeks ago. We watched a dude ski a very intense line. He was solo. As the guide pointed out, it didn't matter if you ski that line solo or with a partner. If he fell on any part of it or set off a slide it was game over. Obviously this line is slightly different, but solo can be an okay choice -- it's your choice.

30 minutes later the dude walked onto the same patio. He was late 60s and said he'd been waiting all year for his yearly lap of the line....
    I bet that dude Cody and Bjarne saved thought something similar. If I fall it won’t matter if I have a partner, I’ll be dead. Was the line you were watching him ski really more spicy than a not filled in Joffre Central? Not second guessing the dude or trying to question his decision but I’m pretty sure he’s dead without Cody and Bjarne. The rescue lessons were spot on as were the comments about the specifics of the incident. Dude made a very ballsy decision and something happened to make him fall. He decided that line was within his capabilities and risk tolerance. I’m guessing he would change his plan if he could go back in time. Moral of the story, don’t fall .

Love the series Cody. I can’t think of any ski film that I’ve enjoyed this much. As others have said one of my favorite things is how you guys show the struggles and it isn’t just endless pow turns and face shots. Hope this project pays off for you guys literally and figuratively.

I don't subscribe to any sort of ski ethics beyond personal ones and that one personally didn't feel completed.
    sounds like no heli then. finding the right time when you can climb AND ski the lines is what makes this exciting. Otherwise you could climb them when they're firm and ski them when they're stable pow from a bird. Plus 1800' has got to be one of your easier climbs.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I’ve got no judgement for solo dude. Be pretty hypocritical if I did considering some of the shit I’ve done solo. From skiing big scary death fall lines to ice climbing and alpine climbing. Sometimes you just have a weird schedule and you have to do it when you have the chance or you don’t get to at all. Keep crushing it Cody, hope to meet you in the tram line at Alyeska again someday.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer