Page 2 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

looking good!

FKNA!

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    awesome adventure. how long do you think you’ll have to wait before the Molly Hogan bowl is truly in?
    hehe
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I've skied 1!
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

2 mount washington and no katahdin?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    2 mount washington and no katahdin?
    Apparently, it's not 'classic' enough.

I've skied one of those lines, does that make me rad like Cody? (Avi gulch on Shasta, probably the easiest of them all.)

FKNA, great project and looking forward to some epic adventures. Getting to the top of some/many of those lines is an adventure in and of itself.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The FIFTY

Surprised to see the Silver on Buffalo on that list. It’s a cool line, but Too 50 seems a little high. Although I don’t know what his criteria is so maybe it fills some niche or something?

I haven't skied any yet. However, I'll let Cody scout them out for me, then I'll get all sendy.

Looking forward to seeing him do this, what a cool project.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

You need a snappy tune for each one.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Subscribed AF.

This is gonna be rad!!

You got your work cut out for you man! Good luck and most importantly stay safe. I hope you do it. It will be an amazing accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Surprised to see the Silver on Buffalo on that list. It’s a cool line, but Too 50 seems a little high. Although I don’t know what his criteria is so maybe it fills some niche or something?
    Hey man, that's the only one I've done, don't try to take it off! Though the fact I've done it probably means it shouldn't be on the list.

But it is pretty iconic, there aren't many 3000' vertical no exit couloirs out there. And certainly not many that get gang banged like it does. I guess it depends what the criteria is.

Haha it’s the only one I’ve done too! You’re right - totally depends on criteria

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gotta check the authors of the book, maybe the answer is there.

Maybe Davenport said he had to do it to cement his superstar status

When you look through the book, it seems like Davenport tried to mix it up geographically and in terms of gnarliness. Avy Gulch (especially), Tuckermans, and many others aren't super gnarly. But they're definitely super classic in different ways.

Plenty of gnaaaaarly lines too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

This kind of got me wondering if anybody has climbed all the routes in Fifty Classic Climbs of North America. This husband and wife team got 48 of them but the last two just proved too dangerous. Fascinating story...unreal amount of effort and sacrifice.

https://www.climbing.com/places/comm...e-50-classics/

now that I have seen the list a 3 year time frame is going to be very difficult. Logistics will be tough. Is this going to be Lorne Glick style or Axel Naglich?
    off your knees Louie

Chris, Art, and Penn explained in the intro that they wanted a mix of easier routes (Silver, Shasta) and routes that rarely see descents (Robson). The Fifty Classic Climbs of North America, which certainly served as an inspiration, was done in much the same way. Taken from the introduction of Fifty Classic Ski Descents, "We use the word 'classic' because it best describes what we are after. Classic is a word that over time has broken from its once stringent definition to be flexible. Classic can mean anything from a stellar, commonly skied, accessible descent, to an untouched line of the future."

Cody, fantastic project. I am extremely excited to follow along, and also excited to hear you've chosen Bjarne Salen to document a good portion of it. I truly look forward to your account of each and every line. I've had 'The Fifty' on my coffee table for a while now, and it regularly gets flipped through to give me inspiration. Seeing the lines through your eyes will only bring me that much closer to them.

One of the things I'm most excited for is to see how the various traverses go. All in all, this sounds like quite the logistical challenge and I look forward to seeing how you manage it. Curious as to lines like Pontoon & The Sphinx, will you be climbing these as well?

Good luck, be safe, if it takes more than three years, we won't stop watching.

I myself currently sit at 2/50, the two that we've all identified here in this thread to be the easiest, which I don't disagree with, but I obviously can't compare to the other 48. I look forward to hopefully adding Tukuhnikvatz (and possibly another one or two in Colorado) this season. If you want to crash at the Gold Basin Yurt in mid-April, you'd be more than welcome.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    word
    word

and nice pics gnarwhale
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Altasquawlik, you need help with anythings in CO for Silver or the rest, you hit me up. My bar is at basecamp if ya wanna post shred beverage.

I believe you can do it!
    Thank you for sharing your adventures.

Cool idea, and an ambitious one at that (good on ya). Pretty curious about the logistics for the big gnarly ones (robson, etc.). Are you going to prioritize attempts on those lines each season? Seems like it might take more than one good attempt for things to line up on a few of them. Rooting for ya!

Awesome. Hoping Salomon gave you a healthy travel budget cause you're gonna need it to do all of these in three years, jumping on each when the timing is right.

The Rogers Pass to Bugaboos traverse should be an interesting one. Lots of history in the latest issue of Backcountry.