Page 9 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

its all the layers that slow a rescues down, I was in an incident that was basicly a self rescue, the injured skier was back at the heli base in 1:25 and everyone was out in 2hrs from time of aviy .

Called the pilot direct, called some ski buds out of work, call RCMP (who must have called SAR) a SAR rep showed up to give out a PEP # for the chopper ... didnt have to pay
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wow. Glad the guy is ok and props to all involved to expedite care.

Well done!

Wow that's a crazy series of events, just the chance that you happened to pull up and see him going down, makes you think.. Props to all involved.

I stumbled across the original video of Central from Mr. Richardo et al from 2011 posted right here almost 8 years to the day:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...r-Mt-Joffre-BC

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I don't think the monoski first descent counts if you don't yell "MOOOONNNOOOOOOO!!!!!" for at least 25% of the downhill turns.
    QFT! Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I think that some bowvalley classics MIGHT have just gotten done
    What!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    One of them indeed might have just gotten done in a one day strike mission from the coast to the rockies. But we may never know...
    Cool! Be great to hear about it though..

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BuMgZ2yF0FQ/
    Thats fucked up.
    Must be so little snow in there right now. Not many high alpine steeps have really filled in round here this year
    Jebus.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Because when you understand the protocol and systems that are used with PLB's then you realize the time it takes to mobilize...time I knew we didn't have because it was about 4:00 in the afternoon when the fall happened and we had till about 5:30 to get a heli in there and get him out of there. From what I could tell, if we didn't get him out via a heli, he wasn't going to survive.

So here's why I did what I did and exactly what I did. So for PLB's, the send out to a central service center, who then calls 911 in the area. 911 then calls SAR. SAR then mobilizes their volunteer staff who may be spread about town, creates a plan and then calls a heli if necessary or begins their extraction plan. That whole chain can take an hour at best from what I've been told and understand and from other experiences, usually in the 3 hour range. Knowing that system, knowing that we had an hour and a half of light at best, I figured I could get a heli, SAR and 911 mobilized before a PLB...plus with inReaches, communicating everything including exact location, injury, and details of scene, in text messages to everyone necessary can be slow and tough. I timed the whole thing and from minutes after the fall, to when I started moving at 4:00pm, I made the first call to Blackcomb Heli at 4:28, then 911, then SAR. The heli plucked Bjarne, who went up to warm, comfort and move the guy to a safe heli landing zone, and the victim at about 5:30.

Honestly, I'm amazed at the efficiency, the willingness and the skill of Blackcomb Heli and their crew and Pemberton SAR, they crushed the rescue and for sure saved that guy's life.
    Yeah, but nice work also Cody. Feck!

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    HEY CODY, I CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR'E A PRO SAR DISPATCHER, I'M SO MUCH SICKER THAN YOU

😉
    Props mang
    haha, i wished I'd have thought of that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

For reference.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

He is on it.

How is twisting even a couloir? Looks like a ridge to me.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    How is twisting even a couloir? Looks like a ridge to me.
    I'm guessing the twists and couloir parts are the lower exit bits covered by trees in the photo.

Not exactly Super G turns in the upper part. Narrow. He did well to link that many turns in the middle section.

Line sort of twists:

Better picture:

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    He is on it.

These are so fun to watch.

Excellent, as always. Looking forward to 46 more.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Where does each line fit in the Gaffney Numerical Assessment of Radness? The book doesn't help me with ratings. Why aren't you going for bonus points?

The world is one big game of gnar.

DAMNIT
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Where does each line fit in the Gaffney Numerical Assessment of Radness? The book doesn't help me with ratings. Why aren't you going for bonus points?

The world is one big game of gnar.

DAMNIT
    akpm looks like he forgot to invite you for the Chugach lines. Good to see him hiking them.
    off your knees Louie

another viddy dropped

watch out for snakes

This series is sick. I love watching the vids and eagerly anticipate the next.

It seems like you are making the best decisions to stay safe out there. Way to be!

MASSIVE sufferfest!

Cody and cru pull it off.

Only these guys.
    watch out for snakes

Sick. Thanks agains, Alka.

One of your sponsors is Sufferfest Brewing. That seems very appropriate.

It does. My legs were already sore now they ache. 14 and a half hours in that cold. Ouch!!. Pow and the sunny ridge skin looked great

That was intense. Great job.

These keep getting better and better. I LOL'ed hard at Chris: "It's so cold I'm wearing two puffys!"

Awesome. Great to see Jon and Jack (RIP) get some love, too. 1st one in the series I've actually skied, too (though the heli drop was much more fun )

These keep getting better. Really loved the big day on Currie. I appreciate that they're climbing them all, that would've been a lot less interesting had they just heli'd to the top and powder skied down.

Looking forward to Mt Stimson's 24mi approach and crossing of the Middle Fork.
    It sucks to suck.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Awesome. Great to see Jon and Jack (RIP) get some love, too. 1st one in the series I've actually skied, too (though the heli drop was much more fun )
    heh - i thought of you on that one. Anyone who's said they've gotten it top to bottom in pow is lying. And the alder at the bottom. Good times