Page 91 of 132 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    How does the Berg Lake trail bring closed affect the approach?
    It completely and totally shuts it down. There is no access to the north side of the mountain except for heli access until 2023.

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    It completely and totally shuts it down. There is no access to the north side of the mountain except for heli access until 2023.
    Does a ride in a heli to the base count the same as sledding in to the base? Or am I asking the wrong questions?

I also probably have 0 idea what I’m asking since this is TGR and I didn’t research what like they closed access is in reference to.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Does a ride in a heli to the base count the same as sledding in to the base? Or am I asking the wrong questions?

I also probably have 0 idea what I’m asking since this is TGR and I didn’t research what like they closed access is in reference to.

Not if the heli is hauling the sled.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post

I don't have a problem personally with mechanized access. I think it's cooler if you don't, but if I have to fly into the north side, I definitely would. It's more a thing of timing, checking the face and budget for me. Personally, I always have planned to spend a lot of time with that mountain before even attempting to ski it. So a heli takes that desire and throws it into the rotor wash. I would love to climb it, camp under it and watch it for months before attempting the ski. I may fly in to go look at it soon, but doubt any attempt will happen any time soon.

Traverse was so friggin cool. And it ain't no gimme old man traverse. Cruxes everyday, long slogs, tons of big passes and just an all out rad walk through rad mountains. Otherwise the season definitely turned around for the pass, got some of the best conditions on some of the best lines of the project. Still in BC and working on the last few up here.
    Did u guys set a steep skin track up the face from valley bottom In the area of beaver/Duncan/sugarloaf around Easter weekend?
    Last edited by teamdirt; 05-10-2022 at 06:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Did u guys set a steep skin track up the face from valley bottom In the area of beaver/Duncan/sugarloaf around Easter weekend?
    I don't know exactly where you're talking about but I doubt that skin track was us as we did the reverse traverse, Rogers to Bugs. The only people that followed our skin track was the FKT peeps. Oh and lastly, we were out April 24-May 1, so yeah, not us.

I don't have a problem personally with mechanized access. I think it's cooler if you don't, but if I have to fly into the north side, I definitely would. It's more a thing of timing, checking the face and budget for me. Personally, I always have planned to spend a lot of time with that mountain before even attempting to ski it. So a heli takes that desire and throws it into the rotor wash. I would love to climb it, camp under it and watch it for months before attempting the ski. I may fly in to go look at it soon, but doubt any attempt will happen any time soon.
    I got that from how you have approached this project, and have a ton of respect for it. I more was trying to think outside the box to see if there was a way to get around the road closure and to the base of the mountain? If that makes sense?

Seriously though, it’s been cool to watch this entire process the past few years.

The road to the base is open but the hiking trail is closed. There was a huge flood last summer and it messed up the trail and a few bridges. The trail is set to be worked on through the summer and hopefully open in the fall. Cody let me know if you need a name of some one on site in Robson.

Always thought that face looked best in a good September on the right year.
    Freezing at night and all after a storm that sticks to the ice.
    Right years are hard to come by nowadays...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Never done it, but why couldn't one come from Kinney Lake through the Helmet Col?

After consulting the oracle this morning have realized that Kinney Lake is in the closure, so much for the back door route...

It seems like the only option is a 50ish km hike up the overgrown trail from Moose Lake to Adolphus and down to Robson. Not fun before hauling skis.

Looking fwd to the upcoming episodes.

If boot liners were soaked due to sweat, consider a vapor barrier sock. I have used tall 1mm Camino neoprene socks for the past few years. Work great. https://www.camaro-watersports.com/e...ongsocks?c=117

Not sure from the blister podcast why your sleeping bag got soaked, but it reminded me once of when I sold a -40F synthetic bag to a Scottish alpine climber when I worked at marmot mtn works in Berkeley. I can’t remember all of the details, but he had one really bad, dangerously wet and cold extended trip with forced bivouacs, and his winter down bag was a useless wet sack of extra weight. It resulted in him never wanting to have that experience again. He’d already bought the large capacity climbing pack to hold the bag on trips where bring it with him (probably a wild things pack). Not sure if you were in as dire place as he was with your trip (this was late 1990’s), but maybe something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Looking fwd to the upcoming episodes.

If boot liners were soaked due to sweat, consider a vapor barrier sock. I have used tall 1mm Camino neoprene socks for the past few years. Work great. https://www.camaro-watersports.com/e...ongsocks?c=117

Not sure from the blister podcast why your sleeping bag got soaked, but it reminded me once of when I sold a -40F synthetic bag to a Scottish alpine climber when I worked at marmot mtn works in Berkeley. I can’t remember all of the details, but he had one really bad, dangerously wet and cold extended trip with forced bivouacs, and his winter down bag was a useless wet sack of extra weight. It resulted in him never wanting to have that experience again. He’d already bought the large capacity climbing pack to hold the bag on trips where bring it with him (probably a wild things pack). Not sure if you were in as dire place as he was with your trip (this was late 1990’s), but maybe something to think about.
    Yeah still haven't experimented with vapor barriers on the feet. One day I gotta try it. As far as the sleeping bag situation, well yeah, that just happens out there sometimes. I still would go out there with down vs. synthetic 99% of the time though. A little suffering is worth the massive amounts of size loss and weight loss you get with down vs. synthetic. My main mistake was just not drying it out well during some of the midday breaks. Oh and definitely wasn't as dire as what that guy went through. Just wet and shivery, nothing to really worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    It seems like the only option is a 50ish km hike up the overgrown trail from Moose Lake to Adolphus and down to Robson. Not fun before hauling skis.
    How hungry are you?
    Is it in prime?

Parachute. Duh.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Steep powder and spines...pfft who wants to see that?
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

sweet!

"Haven't you watched enough of The Fifty?"

Yes, yes we have. But stoked for more.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Think it'd be weird if I put a Cody poster on the ceiling above my bed? I mean I know you guys wouldn't think so, but like, you think the wife would?

Very cool trailer!

Editing/filming/skiing and the adventure all look like they have been takin to the next level!

Nice work Cody/Bjorn and team! Look forward to the new season.

I watched the trailer (awesome and can't wait for the goods) on the big screen (tv). Dedicated to Hilaree, of course.

The youtube app then immediately started up the Patriarch episode, featuring...Hilaree, of course (I assume this was somehow arranged by CT). Poignant for sure, but also awesome. To me, that looks like one of the sketchiest FIFTY routes to date, yet all involved seemed like: whatevs, NBD. And Hilaree seemed the most unperturbed of them all.

So sad, RIP Hilaree. But carry on Cody, and be careful out there!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uq4zYgzDivw

Here we go another season

"Couloirs are the butthole of the mountain."

Well Cody, your legacy is now firmly intact with a line that will be repeated many times.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.