Page 90 of 129 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 3222

Thread: The FIFTY

The FIFTY

“Cham-itude.” Can we use that phrase. I’ve never been to Cham. A friend was there in the summer many years ago and watched casual tourist get killed by rockfall on a walk that started in town.

I enjoyed the newest installment. It was well made and I hope it’s been submitted to the various film festivals.

Interesting that you all decided to continue down even though you acknowledged you were getting too late of a start. Appreciate those conversations being kept in the film. Was the determination that you’d starve to death if you waited it out at base camp?

I’m assuming your talking to peeps that have completed or nearly completed some of these more ambitious objectives. I remember barlage telling me how much reprieve a tennis balls ended up bringing while being stormed-out at the base of university peak. Playing catch sounded like their secret to sanity. Hopefully, you and your crew became champion rock skippers.

I remember an interview with Steve House where he talked about needing to get out of Cham because he realized the combination of the Cham-itude and pushing big alpine goals was going to get him killed.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    “Cham-itude.” Can we use that phrase. I’ve never been to Cham. A friend was there in the summer many years ago and watched casual tourist get killed by rockfall on a walk that started in town.

I enjoyed the newest installment. It was well made and I hope it’s been submitted to the various film festivals.

Interesting that you all decided to continue down even though you acknowledged you were getting too late of a start. Appreciate those conversations being kept in the film. Was the determination that you’d starve to death if you waited it out at base camp?

I’m assuming your talking to peeps that have completed or nearly completed some of these more ambitious objectives. I remember barlage telling me how much reprieve a tennis balls ended up bringing while being stormed-out at the base of university peak. Playing catch sounded like their secret to sanity. Hopefully, you and your crew became champion rock skippers.
    Sometimes I look back at the films and think, "Fuck, I wish I would've said that more clearly..." Our St. Elias film is one of those cases. The reason we still bailed despite it getting late was because the massive storm was incoming, the very next day was predicted to be a full white out and the storm looked like one of those camp destroying, hellfests that are legendary on St. Elias. Sure enough it was and there were multiple rescues conducted by the military that took place while we were stuck on the beach and all camps above 10k in the range were destroyed. We knew we'd survive the storm if we had to but looking at our food supplies, if it lasted any longer than forecasted we would've definitely run out of food and fuel and we would need a miracle with weather to go for the summit after the shellacking from the storm. The day we descended, we got a late last minute call from our pilot that he could pick up our expedition tents and gear that day. So with that, we decided to descend. Thing was, once he flew away, we were down to meager rations and light weight tents...so we were really fucked if we stayed high and as we show in the film, nearly fucked by going low. Looking back, probably the best call was to just wait out the storm with our fingers crossed or fully abort with the pilot. But we also wanted an adventure, wanted to learn the lower half for round 2 since we didn't get a real scout before we went up. Ultimately I can't say any of what we did was a "Bad Call" because there was no glaring wrong decision, but it was the thing that happens so often in the mountains is a series of little decisions keep adding up to get us to where we didn't want to be, stuck at the bottom of that couloir with a nuclear bomb of snow about to go off. Granted, we did ski that route specifically because it almost could've gone through and we knew the escape route to the ridge was a good potential down climb route. All in all, the best decision was the just fly off the mountain but at the same time, sometimes you just gotta go and be comfortable with the fact that mountains like St Elias are risky as fuck and at some point no matter what you do on a expedition like that, you're gonna be really fucking scared and you're gonna have to figure out a way through it.

Huh. Nice explanation.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Sounds like a good start to a memorable relationship. Sometimes a certain mountain grabs you in ways that feel exactly like that.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    This part really made me question their judgement. Generally the uncertainty around avalanche problems means that I try not to Monday morning quarter-back. We all get it wrong sometimes. But there was no uncertainty here.
    I'm pretty sure those guys just don't give a fuck, and wish they'd just say that. Super weird decision making overall there... pretty sure the one who wanted to dig a pit is a guide so guess it's a huge bummer for her to have that whole thing in a movie

Any more videos coming this winter Cody? Hope you're out skiing not stuck inside editing.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Any more videos coming this winter Cody? Hope you're out skiing not stuck inside editing.
    That's it until Fall 2022. Maybe some bonus episodes coming out but I'm stuck inside doing the massive amount of work it takes to get this production off the ground for the year. But starting to film in March and will film through June this season.

ride safe -- we're looking forward to the vids!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    That's it until Fall 2022. Maybe some bonus episodes coming out but I'm stuck inside doing the massive amount of work it takes to get this production off the ground for the year. But starting to film in March and will film through June this season.
    Where are the ski meme accounts going to get content now???

We need to start posting the fifty project memes here - some of those were hilarious.

Since Canuckistan is off to a solid start this year... does anyone have any early beta on how Mt. Robson is shaping up so far?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

the thing that happens so often in the mountains is a series of little decisions keep adding up to get us to where we didn't want to be
    Thanks for writing this. Everyone on the couch wants one reason to explain why things went wrong. It's usually a sum total of decisions.

Also, it’s a side consequence of using the concept of “keep going till you can’t”.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

HBD Alkasquawlik!
    Loving the Fiddy!
    KUTGW

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Welcome to the future of the interwebz Alka

https://www.codytownsend.com/

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    We need to start posting the fifty project memes here - some of those were hilarious.

Since Canuckistan is off to a solid start this year... does anyone have any early beta on how Mt. Robson is shaping up so far?
    Robson has been blown bare all year and the access to the North side of the mountain has been closed for the rest of 2022. The rest of Canada has been stuck in a perpetual fog of drizzly, warm, squally, fluffs of moisture that don't add snow but close off the alpine...so yeah Canuckistan is going great. What a shit year to finally get to cross the border. Gonna be a tough season for success up here.

The FIFTY

I mean, yeah, that’s become very clear now. To be fair you were quoting my post from January 20th! Back when we thought Tahoe wasn’t gonna suck this year either. Ugh.

Time to go work on my mountain bike.

I think Cody is spoofing y’all. It’s been an awesome year in Rogers Pass area.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I think Cody is spoofing y’all. It’s been an awesome year in Rogers Pass area.

All time in the Cdn Rockies but winds have been extremely high all season, wouldn't be surprised that Robson is Bare....

Some 50 classics content.

Holy shit Michael Wirth is ridiculous. instagram.com/michaelcwirth/ Solo day tripping comstock and I think the patriarch. Seems like he is trying to do all 31 of the 50 classics in the lower 48 in one season and currently around #17.

Wow, looks like he’s really getting after it but not sure that’s possible this season. Giant Steps on Mt Williamson might be a problem due to lack of snow?

Welcome- Cody. Good luck in traverse. Some of the most awesome terrain you will see out this way! I think u will get it good on icefields you Have some seriously awesome experienced people for intel at your disposal! The lines from the book don’t even get good till a few more late wet storms. Mid May/early June is the window. Maybe Robson will come into play by than too!
    Last edited by teamdirt; 04-23-2022 at 09:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teamdirt View Post
    Welcome- Cody. Good luck in traverse. Some of the most awesome terrain you will see out this way! I think u will get it good on icefields you Have some seriously awesome experienced people for intel at your disposal! The lines from the book don’t even get good till a few more late wet storms. Mid May/early June is the window. Maybe Robson will come into play by than too!
    Traverse was so friggin cool. And it ain't no gimme old man traverse. Cruxes everyday, long slogs, tons of big passes and just an all out rad walk through rad mountains. Otherwise the season definitely turned around for the pass, got some of the best conditions on some of the best lines of the project. Still in BC and working on the last few up here.

Traverse was so friggin cool. And it ain't no gimme old man traverse. Cruxes everyday, long slogs, tons of big passes and just an all out rad walk through rad mountains. Otherwise the season definitely turned around for the pass, got some of the best conditions on some of the best lines of the project. Still in BC and working on the last few up here.
    Yeeeeeessssssssssssss! Stoked to see the vids you guys are going to put out this fall

How does the Berg Lake trail bring closed affect the approach?
    off your knees Louie