Page 75 of 132 FirstFirst ... 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Plus he’s carrying all of the cameras and probably breaking the trail to get ahead to set up the shots.

He's also considerably younger.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    He's also considerably younger.
    Shots fired.

I'd turn up for a Bjarne gear video also, including some camera nerd out stuff. As someone who's foolishly considering taking his R6 and a pancake lens into the hills, would be interested in how conditions have affected the battery life (3 day sortie? My stuff has failed after 3 hours) and function of various equipment - and if he's straight up destroyed anything because gnar and metal.

Cheers on the savage start to The Fifty season!

I would say Bjarne's age is less of a factor than the fact that he's been chasing the world's best ski mountaineers up mountains (with camera weight) for over 10 years. Perhaps the vegan diet too?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

savage adventure!! FKNA!

The FIFTY

I too, would enjoy seeing a Bjarne episode. Hats off to him!

However, as a doc cameraman with film / mountaineering experience, I’m fairly certain they use GoPros and small, lightly rigged cameras like Sony A7s, FS5 etc that are really portable and have a pile of fairly light batteries.

However, it all adds up, especially with whatever wireless audio system they’re using. Zoom lenses can be a brick as well.

That said, there’s certainly no easy part of packing camera gear into 20 miles of horrendous approach, and then filming whatever ski activity happens.

I doubt Bjarne would really go into THAT much detail on filming, as it’s sort of an industry or trade practice for him.

My biggest question would be, what kind of little shoulder or hip pack is he putting his camera in?

I went to sleep right after watching that, woke up sore.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

"I thought my pack was caught on something, turns out it's just really heavy."

LOL. Great to have you guys back!

Off subject, but i decided that anytime i go for an overnight skiing, I'll take 2 days of food, in case I get late or too tired.

Most of my abandoned missions were due to either having to get back at a certain time or not having food to spend another night.

Of course there's the little thing of not being capable of the mega effort Cody's putting out.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

The one thing that bothered me in the video is that Nick and Cody were all bundled up, yet both looked like they were freezing in the van with two diesel heaters.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Abol98 View Post
    Shots fired.
    Not firing shots, clearly Bjarne is a beast, but some people seem to assume that just because he's filming them from above means he burned them off on the climb. Maybe they time their rests or go slower so he can get positioned up higher to get the angle, or get him on the summit first so he can film them making the top. Otherwise we'd be looking at a whole lot of buttshots, right?

Or maybe Bjarne just turns on the jets anytime he wants, I dunno. Alka could enlighten us if he's so inclined, but he doesn't seem to be too invested in the ego aspect to care what people think about who's stronger than who.

It’s always a stress on the camera guy to keep up… the best can easily lead

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    The one thing that bothered me in the video is that Nick and Cody were all bundled up, yet both looked like they were freezing in the van with two diesel heaters.
    Yes that clearly shows the van part was shot with a green screen and my gut feeling is most of this series is staged. I don't think it's because Northern MT can be bone chillingly cold - for obvious reasons.

Anyone else see some clues that looks off????????

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Yes that clearly shows the van part was shot with a green screen and my gut feeling is most of this series is staged. I don't think it's because Northern MT can be bone chillingly cold - for obvious reasons.

Anyone else see some clues that looks off????????
    You know I was making a funny right?

That was an intense sufferfest. Good work.

Can't wait to see more adventures.
    Smoke'em If You Got'em

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    You know I was making a funny right?

Nope, what was the funny part about your post?

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    Nope, what was the funny part about your post?
    if you've ever been in a diesel heated van you'd know it doesn't really matter how montana it is outside. but mostly it's a reference to this (at 2:56)

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    It’s always a stress on the camera guy to keep up… the best can easily lead

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

In a lot of the bushwhacking shots it looked like it might have been a lot more efficient to wear some waders and fly fishing boots and just walk up the creek. I'm sure there were parts that this wouldn't have worked for and it's usually more efficient to skin than carry skis on a pack, but that bushwhacking looked awful and the creek at least would've avoided a lot of that… ?

^^ With all that weight in their packs there's about a 99% chance that one of them would have rolled an ankle trying to walk up the creek.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

The FIFTY

Great episode. Fucking brutal to get to that awesome line.

On the way in, could you guys have stayed higher up, above the creek, in order to avoid all the crossings? Or was the forest too dense up there?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    On the way in, could you guys have stayed higher up, above the creek, in order to avoid all the crossings? Or was the forest too dense up there?
    That appears to be what they tried on the way out and it was even worse.

I think the valley is mostly too steep for this, and full of deadfall and bushwhack. Not really something you want to sidehill through with a ~40 pound pack.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

We tried everything. Up high, down low, staying in the stream, right next to the stream...trust me, when the going is that tough, you'll try anything to make it easier.

Oh and yeah, waders and felt soles would be a terrible idea, not only with the weight on your back a little slip would mean serious knee knocking into boulders or twisted or broken joints. Add in deep pools in places, post holing when you couldn't be in the creek, it wouldn't work. Just like a lot of suggestions I'm getting to use snowshoes. Those would be a terrible idea as well. The only thing you can do on shit whacks like that is suck it up and try your hardest.

Great episode, looked absolutely awful. Glad the show is back for the year.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com