Page 5 of 129 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    July, 1989 found my future wife and I walking up under the face to camp and ski it. It was now dark, raining hard, thunder and lightening.
    During bursts of lightning we saw the face running as wet points, hoping they wouldn't bridge / jump the bergschrunds as we were pretty close.
    Morning found the face with one 'lil ribbon of snow on the ice, temps well above freezing, and us tired from drying boots over the stove hoping for a freeze. Down we went.
    In the bad light the wet and weak crevasse bridges were hard to see and excitement was had.
    After crossing the Robson River in spate we met the two Robson rangers on duty and spent that night in their warm, dry hut.
    We learned from them amongst many things that the best timing for what we were attempting was mid September, give or take.
    Exactly one year to the day of this event our first was born, and I hung up my spax (ski pole / ice axe).
    Resolved to not climb or ski ice climbs unroped anymore. No regrets.
    In my opinion the north face of Robson is the biggest cherry in the Rockies.
    And totally reasonable for a great skier / climber when its in condition.
    An uncontrolled fall on it does not necessitate death...when its in condition.
    Without flying in however, the approach is very real. If you don't cross Berg Lake in a boat, the thrash going around it with skis is a trying time in itself.

Cody I've skied some on the list, and many that aren't. Not a big believer of lists, but sure am of goals. (Not a bad list, btw)
    Always admired your skill set, philosophy, and humor. You are the first one to make fun of yourself. Love that part of you...
    This will be a goal in the digital age that many of us will be able to share; thanks for sharing it.
    Oh, and have fun.
    pm me if I can help you in this quest...
    btw you know my now 28 yr old baby well.
    That was a rad story and thanks for sharing it man. I dug it. Oh and who may I ask is it that I know?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    That was a rad story and thanks for sharing it man. I dug it. Oh and who may I ask is it that I know?
    Some of our offspring's kit come from gas stations. Slingshots, toothpicks, and sour candy.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

I was sitting in the GMD discussing who had put down the tracks on Superior two days ago when I noticed you and your crew in there drinking beers. Didn't take much to realize it was you guys who skied it. I'm new to the LCC, but the guys I was with are not. They knew you were going to catch some shit from the internet warriors based on that compass rose on Tuesday. Superior is such a different line than what I'm used to. It gets so much avalanche work because of it's location above the road, and gets skied constantly. I wouldn't have made the decision to ski Superior on Tuesday. But, I don't have the same level of experience, knowledge and dedication that is required to make the decision to ski a line like that, in that kind of condition. Honestly, I just wish I had been on top of Eddies watching you rip that face.

Congrats on skiing Superior in all time conditions and I can't wait to follow along on this adventure. Your attitude towards being a pro skier in this age of social media is refreshing to say the least.

P.S. I was super tempted to do a pro call out, but fortunately I had to catch last chair to make it home so I didn't make an ass of myself lol.

Are u using guides or friends to serve as guides to help with decisionmaking and sanity checks?

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    They knew you were going to catch some shit from the internet warriors based on that compass rose on Tuesday.
    That right there is the problem with touring in the Wasatch these days. Seems like 3/4 of the people look at the rose and the rose only. The text around it? Nope. Personal observations? Forget about it. Just the rose, the least informative part of the forecast, completely decoupled from anything else that might inform a decision. As a result there's nobody out on a considerable/high day but the second things drop back to yellow everything gets destroyed with no consideration of what was happening the day before. And if you have the audacity to ski something steeper than 30 degrees when there's red in the rose the armchair QBs come out of the woodwork and social media lights up with hot takes from snow science experts. Yet the same people who are hiding in Beartrap on a red day will be running up the Needle 3 days later because the rose is back to yellow.
    TL;DR: brains. Use them.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Wasn't questioning him at all. Just thought he might ski it super fast but he has good judgements and skied according to conditions dictated. Surprised more people weren't skiing up there yesterday. In my mind it was pretty good to go. We plugged over 15 howitzer rounds into the face in the 24 hours before he skied it. Only slide of any note was in 2 trees day of storm.
    Lived under this face for 30+ years and been skiing it for over 40. In the 70's and 80's usually alone lugging alpine gear there on Vert's predecessors the Ramer Assault snowshoes. AT gear was a joke, and nordic gear was truly nordic.
    No competition. The original dawn patrol; at work by 8:00.

I gotta agree with you, Altacoup, its the only one of the FIFTY that gets any control work done on it, let alone regularly.
    Can't ask for a better stability test than 4# of high explosive delivered to historical trigger points.
    And as you pointed out, in this cycle, with minimal results.
    Couple that with the safest aspect of the compass...I mean "rose", and that there was no old snow on it going into this season...
    Am also surprised there weren't more tracks on it that day.
    Well played, Cody!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That right there is the problem with touring in the Wasatch these days. Seems like 3/4 of the people look at the rose and the rose only. The text around it? Nope. Personal observations? Forget about it. Just the rose, the least informative part of the forecast, completely decoupled from anything else that might inform a decision. As a result there's nobody out on a considerable/high day but the second things drop back to yellow everything gets destroyed with no consideration of what was happening the day before. And if you have the audacity to ski something steeper than 30 degrees when there's red in the rose the armchair QBs come out of the woodwork and social media lights up with hot takes from snow science experts. Yet the same people who are hiding in Beartrap on a red day will be running up the Needle 3 days later because the rose is back to yellow.
    TL;DR: brains. Use them.
    While I wouldn't have put it so harshly, this is essentially what I was doing and trying to get across to some of the people questioning our decision. The rose is a great starting point, but honestly, I live in the observations, history sections and write-ups when online reading avy reports. Reading the avy report should be a 10-20 minute affair, not a quick glance at the rose and a send. Then I do as much personal observations and direct communication with local snow safety experts as I can to help make decisions for the day. The reason we got up there when no one else did was because of what I just wrote. To me, I saw all the signs pointing to yes for that face. Few others I think did and hence why we caused a bit of a shit storm since the rose was red and it seemed like we were being reckless.

Personally, I try to not live in the avi forecast... so cramped.

I’m guessing there’ll be internet shit questioning decision making for each of these descents.

Any thoughts about snowblades? Superior would not have been the first descent by snowblades, but I bet most of the other peaks would be...

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    While I wouldn't have put it so harshly, this is essentially what I was doing and trying to get across to some of the people questioning our decision. The rose is a great starting point, but honestly, I live in the observations, history sections and write-ups when online reading avy reports. Reading the avy report should be a 10-20 minute affair, not a quick glance at the rose and a send. Then I do as much personal observations and direct communication with local snow safety experts as I can to help make decisions for the day. The reason we got up there when no one else did was because of what I just wrote. To me, I saw all the signs pointing to yes for that face. Few others I think did and hence why we caused a bit of a shit storm since the rose was red and it seemed like we were being reckless.
    I was pissed I was working and not up there skiing. Personally I would’ve skied little superior, quick and dirty, but your goal is to ski off the peak. I was damn jealous of you guys. It’s not often you get to ski that face without competition these days. In fact most days that superior gets skied there’s zero consideration for others safety, it’s a total rat race for first tracks. Truth is you guys probably had it as safe as it could be. Manageable avi danger and no danger from the usual pack of Jerry’s up there. Despite being a great face to ski, superior is rarely even on my radar these days due to the rat race.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    That right there is the problem with touring in the Wasatch these days. Seems like 3/4 of the people look at the rose and the rose only. The text around it? Nope. Personal observations? Forget about it.
    While I agree with you, I’m not so sure it’s a bad thing that people are slaves to the rose since it tends to keep them away on higher risk days. At least statistically in terms of volume. Speaking generally and not just for Utah. Of course that’s also why so many people get swept on moderate days.

I learned to stop paying much attention to the rose and just focus on observations and specific problems after my group kicked off several slides on sub 33-34 degree slopes in a single day (the first caught us by surprise, the others were all ski cut) that was rated green / low on all elevations and aspects. Fucking Colorado, man.

On another note, if said pro skier was actually in the movie GNAR, the call out is mandatory, especially if outside of California. (Sorry Cody, you know I’m right here)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Main Superior got ripped, non stop and solo a half hour ago in great light and seemingly great condition.
    altacoup was that you?

Nope I was working. Actually had planned to go up there before work but partner backed out due to the high winds forecasted last night. I saw the guy descend as I was at bus stop for keyhole (working).

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Superior just dropped and absolutley kick ass... So stoked for this adventure and well done Cody... Pretty kick ass you got Pep to join...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fujas: "I'm just a sub"

Damn was that well delivered. This series is going to be all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

Superior just dropped and absolutley kick ass... So stoked for this adventure and well done Cody... Pretty kick ass you got Pep to join...

What a great line and in all time conditions....DAYUM......

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

"Put me in coach!"

Great vid.

Wow. You guys smoked that line. Well done.

Nice first, uh I mean second line of fifty. Staying tuned, go get em Cody! And I hear barbiturates are good. Try the red ones.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

So sick

That was rad. Nice line choice / slough management at the top.

excellent
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

looked really fun thanks. Is blue the new red?
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

That was great, can't wait for 48 more

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post

Looks like I was slow on the draw to post. Thanks Undertow. Yeah, was so fired up to ski with Pep, it'd been way too long.

congrats

great start