Page 53 of 132 FirstFirst ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ...or you could just buy a Scarpa boot
    Or a Hoji one.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

cool episode! You try that storm chaser yet?
    27° 18°

You failed to mention that Mount McGowan is the tallest peak in idaho.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    That's because it's not. Borah Peak is the highest.

That would be Borah Peak at 12,667’, and Thompson is tallest in the Sawtooths at 10,751’ (according to the internets)

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    That's because it's not. Borah Peak is the highest.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    That would be Borah Peak at 12,667’, and Thompson is tallest in the Sawtooths at 10,751’ (according to the internets)
    Try to keep up guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post
    Just watched the Mt Timpanogos episode again.
    Not to pick at nits....

Mt. Nebo is the highest peak in the Wasatch not Timp
    Nebo is almost 200 ft taller.

https://www.peakbagger.com/range.aspx?rid=1452

/I will show myself out
    Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    good video but mount mitchell in north carolina is the highest peak on the east coast.

And as subtitled in the movie, it's also not Mount McGowan.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    If it's simple, straightforward and we don't see any reason for shots that are far away, then we just resort to yelling and save the headache of radios. If they're big, complex and may take tactics like we used on Shuksan...then yeah we bring them. Essentially, for such a short easy line like McGown, there is no need...oh and the Bjarne in front thing is because we stop, let him go ahead and then get the shot. That's just kind of the way shooting works.
    Might of missed this during the gear talk epi but what radios do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Or a Hoji one.
    Scarpa's placement of the ankle strap I use for the mod is horrid. They built the best talus strap in the business yet completely fuck it up by attaching it to the upper cuff thereby diminishing any of the positive gains I'm looking to get out of the mod (ankle hold and lower cuff deformation). I've tested the Maestrale multiple times and it just sort of doesn't perform well on the downhill.

Hoji's boot is by far the best walk mechanism ever created but the fit is just disgustingly bad and the placement of plastic and the plastic they use just leaves something to be desired in it's performance. It's edge to edge precision is quite good, it's flex pattern is quite dead. It's a huge step forward in design but has flaws.

Fuck, every touring boot I've skied in has big flaws. Boots have the longest way to go in design right now in my opinion. We're getting there but there feels like a long way off still.

Ah shit! I knew I left something out of that How To video. You always gotta saw what you're skiing is the highest peak around. Doh!

Scarpa's placement of the ankle strap I use for the mod is horrid. They built the best talus strap in the business yet completely fuck it up by attaching it to the upper cuff thereby diminishing any of the positive gains I'm looking to get out of the mod (ankle hold and lower cuff deformation). I've tested the Maestrale multiple times and it just sort of doesn't perform well on the downhill.

Hoji's boot is by far the best walk mechanism ever created but the fit is just disgustingly bad and the placement of plastic and the plastic they use just leaves something to be desired in it's performance. It's edge to edge precision is quite good, it's flex pattern is quite dead. It's a huge step forward in design but has flaws.

Fuck, every touring boot I've skied in has big flaws. Boots have the longest way to go in design right now in my opinion. We're getting there but there feels like a long way off still.
    Couldn’t agree with you more on the scarpa and hoji boots. I was so excited for the hoji boot but the fit sucks. I’m actually in a Salomon mtn boot and it’s been pretty good. Lots of mods to the liner to get them tight enough. I had been contemplating a buckle over the toe area to prevent the lower boot from deforming. Think I’ll go for it. I was planning on leaving the current lower buckle but drilling out the riviera closest to the toe box. Then using that spot to mount a buckle ladder. Drill holes for buckle and hope for the best. Only worry is how the screw/bolts for the buckle will affect fit. On your mtn boots did you notice that adding the toe buckle greatly improved ski function?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

You skied tecnica yet? It's what I've wanted for years.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app

Cody, since you might have some spare time... and you did mention yer open to episode idea suggestions...any chance you can fab a carbon fiber, dynafit tech binder compatible, touring boot version of Dave McPhail's dh boot design over the summer? An episode dedicated to filming the development of the product and eventual direct a/b/c/d, etc... on slope ski performance comparisons with other boots in yer quiver would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	birdcage.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	835.3 KB 
ID:	324615
    Last edited by swissiphic; 04-09-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

I know a guy deep inside Salomon's research lab, I'll ask him to send you a pair of these top-secret protos.

Name:  salomon-zero-g-tour.jpg
Views: 1309
Size:  271.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I know a guy deep inside Salomon's research lab, I'll ask him to send you a pair of these top-secret protos.

heh, nice

Everyone I know who hated their Salomon touring boots love the Hoji fit.

I’m doing about 50% (lighter, longer, moderate) of my ski touring in S-Lab X/Alp (who comes up with these names?) boots and am fascinated by your mods. As I was skiing (moderate angled perfect corn) them yesterday, I was visualizing how much better they’d ski with more direct ankle hold and resistance to deformation when flexing. I’d previously been day dreaming of a more substantial aftermarket front buckle assembly, which seems would bolt on easily, but your mod seems exactly what’s required.
    I love the fit (especially the low instep and anatomical toe box) of these boots, but found they needed and were significantly improved by using an Intuition Pro-Tour liner, as they take up more critical volume and don’t compress as easily. Are you still using and are you satisfied with the stock liners?
    Finally, I’ve been considering (replacing my well used Dynafit Mercury boots) the Hoji Free boot for the more aggressive end of my touring needs, but I’ve only had the chance to try them on in the shop. I didn’t like the liners, and would swap them out, but otherwise they seemed to fit and flex better than other comparable boots I’ve tried. You’re clearly critical of their fit and performance, and presumably have actually skied them, so could you elaborate?
    FWIW I’m an every day, all season, lifelong skier, and experience my version of perfection in comfort and performance skiing (in bounds only) the original Raichle/Full Tilt boots.

Cody, looked like one pair had some intuitions in them, another stock liners? What liners are you digging for different applications?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    You skied tecnica yet? It's what I've wanted for years.

Sent from my VS996 using TGR Forums mobile app
    This! I am a BIG fan of the technicas, pretty sure I will never stick my foot into another Scarpa.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    This! I am a BIG fan of the technicas, pretty sure I will never stick my foot into another Scarpa.
    Seems like almost everyone who has the Tecnicas loves them. Especially those of us with high insteps.

^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post

Haha. I did get to test Zero G this year and was pretty impressed by it's performance. That being said, it's touring efficiency wasn't the greatest, it's buckles awful and it still feels like there is a lot more to do in terms of innovation. I actually skied it for a few days thinking it was pretty good, went back to my MTN Labs and felt a bit more drive and power out of the MTN Labs. So yeah, I can see why they're popular but I do still think there are innovations but ultimately most touring boots in this class are really similar and it comes down to individual preference and individual fit. What I want is a whole new class of boots that can ski like what we've got now but lighter and more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    Cody, looked like one pair had some intuitions in them, another stock liners? What liners are you digging for different applications?
    Yeah I've been running so many different liners in my boots and I still don't have a preference. Currently I have a Intuition WC tongue that I cut and modded to have a touring bellow and am liking those decently enough. I've run the Intuition Pro Tour on expeditions and love it for that but they lose their power and fit in like a month. I've fun the Palau's and liked them for certain things but they have a lot of flaws. I've probably gone through most after market liners at some point in my years and still haven't found one I love.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I’m doing about 50% (lighter, longer, moderate) of my ski touring in S-Lab X/Alp (who comes up with these names?) boots and am fascinated by your mods. As I was skiing (moderate angled perfect corn) them yesterday, I was visualizing how much better they’d ski with more direct ankle hold and resistance to deformation when flexing. I’d previously been day dreaming of a more substantial aftermarket front buckle assembly, which seems would bolt on easily, but your mod seems exactly what’s required.
    I love the fit (especially the low instep and anatomical toe box) of these boots, but found they needed and were significantly improved by using an Intuition Pro-Tour liner, as they take up more critical volume and don’t compress as easily. Are you still using and are you satisfied with the stock liners?

Finally, I’ve been considering (replacing my well used Dynafit Mercury boots) the Hoji Free boot for the more aggressive end of my touring needs, but I’ve only had the chance to try them on in the shop. I didn’t like the liners, and would swap them out, but otherwise they seemed to fit and flex better than other comparable boots I’ve tried. You’re clearly critical of their fit and performance, and presumably have actually skied them, so could you elaborate?
    FWIW I’m an every day, all season, lifelong skier, and experience my version of perfection in comfort and performance skiing (in bounds only) the original Raichle/Full Tilt boots.
    In Re: X-Alp. Been using the Palua Touring liners and liking them decently enough. Similar fit and feel to the stock X-Alp liner but a little bit stiffer of a tongue.

For the Hoji: Well in our tests in Jan, 4 out of 5 of the testers couldn't wear them for more than 10 minutes without extreme malleolus bone pain. I tried them with a new liner and didn't have as much pain but still, it's so so so narrow around the lower ankle and that area is really hard to blow out without harming the touring efficiency. As far as performance, we all agreed it felt precise edge to edge, probably because of the low volume ankle but lacked any sort of progressively flexing performance. It just sort of flexes linearly without that need push back one gets from all PU boots and a lot of well built PA boots. But something with the displacement of their PA and maybe even the exact PA it is leaves it sort of feeling dead to not only me but the other testers.

As I mentioned before, I think there are flaws in every boot out there right now, so it just comes to individual fit and performance preference to truly make the best decision for yourself.

Haha. I did get to test Zero G this year and was pretty impressed by it's performance. That being said, it's touring efficiency wasn't the greatest, it's buckles awful and it still feels like there is a lot more to do in terms of innovation. I actually skied it for a few days thinking it was pretty good, went back to my MTN Labs and felt a bit more drive and power out of the MTN Labs. So yeah, I can see why they're popular but I do still think there are innovations but ultimately most touring boots in this class are really similar and it comes down to individual preference and individual fit. What I want is a whole new class of boots that can ski like what we've got now but lighter and more efficient.
    I read that and i think, "he's coming out with his own model soon".

The FIFTY

I read that and i think, "he's coming out with his own model soon".
    I also read between his lines that he wants the boots to be more fun, so they’ll be for tele skiing.... :P

As I mentioned before, I think there are flaws in every boot out there right now, so it just comes to individual fit and performance preference to truly make the best decision for yourself.
    What do you think would be the ideal boot design?

If you could design a boot using current market tech, ignoring the feasibility of it, what would it look like?

I'm curious as to what you think, despite how unrealistic it may be, the "ideal" design would resemble.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates