Page 3 of 132 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    Surprised to see the Silver on Buffalo on that list. It’s a cool line, but Too 50 seems a little high. Although I don’t know what his criteria is so maybe it fills some niche or something?
    From Lou/ Wildsnow: "Which brings me to how “Fifty Classics” is put together. Authors BDN give us introductions to each region, as well as the occasional intro style text for a given route. But they turn the actual blow-by-blow descriptions (for many but not all routes) over to sixteen contributors (and themselves, in the case of Davenport). " "Ergo, Andrew Mclean shares a beautiful line on Utah’s Mount Timpanogos, Lowell Skoog weighs in with a traverse of Mount Baker first done in 1939, and seeing that the book had potential of being a testosterone laced sausage party, I opted to share a mellow but beautiful Colorado line, Silver Couloir on Buffalo." https://www.wildsnow.com/3797/review...-ski-descents/

Kickass project, best of luck to Alka nailing the timing, which I suspect will be one of the cruxes of the whole thing. Wish I had the budget to give it a try.

Look forward to following and seeing which characters show up along the way. Be safe mang!

oughta hit up giffy-pops for an early april watson/shuksan weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Cody, curious as to why you say you got lucky on the Messner? Lucky with weather? Lucky with a near fall?

Looking forward to this project, definitely a hardman type of goal. Git sum.
    Because the Messner only fills in its ice with skiable snow one out of every 4 to 5 years. Plus, the weather was spectacular for us. So yeah, got lucky!

Quote Originally Posted by weibo View Post
    If you need anything in the Jasper area (Columbia/Robson) look me up.
    Might just do that. I need a network of people with local beta to rely on. So yeah, if you email me at codytownsend at the gmails I may hit ya up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gnarwhale View Post
    Be fun, have safe!

Heres some beta pics. Three of the cooler lines I've had the privilege of seeing in person
    Attachment 265100
    Attachment 265101
    Attachment 265102
    University and Combatant are on the list of attempts this spring...Robson, well I sure the fuck hell it never looks like that when I'm there. Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Great goal. I hope future episodes have more than 1:45 of ski adventure in them.
    They most definitely will. Episode 1 just had to have too long of me talking in it to justify a super long piece about Denali...plus I didn't have a cameraman and do now.

the humor was pretty good though and i wouldn’t want to watch fifty episodes of Meru fwiw
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Congrats on a great plan.

When you ski Tuckerman I recommend you recreate Toni Matt's historic run:

http://newenglandskimuseum.org/remem...-1939-inferno/

https://www.conwaydailysun.com/news/...7197482c0.html

I see Pontoon, Sphinx & Meteorite are all on the list. Climbing each of 'em could take you weeks if you get unlucky on weather. You could ski all 3 in a single day with a heli. Throw the Tusk in while you're there.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The Tusk. 2014. Gnarly. So out of my league along with most other mortals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2070.JPG 
Views:	341 
Size:	601.9 KB 
ID:	265627

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    I see Pontoon, Sphinx & Meteorite are all on the list. Climbing each of 'em could take you weeks if you get unlucky on weather. You could ski all 3 in a single day with a heli. Throw the Tusk in while you're there.
    It's all about timing. That'll be a mid-season, high pressure last minute mission.

Here's to hoping weather stays on your side.

Following... such a great idea.

Rogers and Swiss make for a great day! From last week...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3515.JPG 
Views:	305 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	265679

How often does the north face of Robson get skied?

Cool project, subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    How often does the north face of Robson get skied?

Cool project, subscribed.
    As of June 2017, sounds like its only been done 3 times.

http://biglines.com/featured/mt-robs...ham-interview/

[Size10]Unfuckingbelievable. I can’t believe you’re a pro. I’m so much better than you![/size]

ps - go get um, Cody. Take Dirksen along for something.
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Awesome project, I will eagerly consume all the social media about this, but damn,,, do you pay attention to the snow pack?? literally everywhere right now? You picked a seriously dangerous year for deep backcountry exploration!

Be safe. Be smart. It's better to back way from a peak to ride it another day, than get swept away in an avalanche, getting pummeled by debris on the way down, only to find yourself buried upside down, heavy weight pressing from all directions preventing a single breath deep enough to fill your lungs. Quietly hoping a friend will get to you in time for you to be able to see your family again, before slowing fading out of consciousnesses, and eventually, fading out of this world.
    Be safe.

(yes, this is meant to add a little fear to your decision making process... Come back alive.._)

The FIFTY

With unstable snowpacks all over, at the the very least this should be a good year to check off the Eastern Sierra lines when back home between other trips, especially a slog like Mt. Williamson.

Hoping you track your progress in this thread, as it would be a fun way to follow along.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by ExPowderSnob View Post
    Awesome project, I will eagerly consume all the social media about this, but damn,,, do you pay attention to the snow pack?? literally everywhere right now? You picked a seriously dangerous year for deep backcountry exploration!

Be safe. Be smart. It's better to back way from a peak to ride it another day, than get swept away in an avalanche, getting pummeled by debris on the way down, only to find yourself buried upside down, heavy weight pressing from all directions preventing a single breath deep enough to fill your lungs. Quietly hoping a friend will get to you in time for you to be able to see your family again, before slowing fading out of consciousnesses, and eventually, fading out of this world.
    Be safe.

(yes, this is meant to add a little fear to your decision making process... Come back alive.._)
    Trust me, I already got enough fear in me. Hence why I'm just sitting around, sleeping the back of my truck twiddling my thumbs...

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    With unstable snowpacks all over, at the the very least this should be a good year to check off the Eastern Sierra lines when back home between other trips, especially a slog like Mt. Williamson.

Hoping you track your progress in this thread, as it would be a fun way to follow along.
    Yeah, that's the way my mind has been going lately too. Although even Cali has been sketch. But there is snow to the valley on Williamson so that could help a lot. If we get a big high pressure and some stability, that'll be on the list for next month.

Dredged this up from the vault, I think the average age of our crew that day was 20.

Think you'll have better production value?

^^Cool video BC!

Watched again last night. Very funny. Laughed out loud at the baseball bit.
    As I get older, I have a harder time stomaching the incessant wisdom/sermonizing/I'm-not-religious-but-I-am-spiritual sententiousness of mountain athletes. For some reason, everyone with an IG account and a few stout lines to their resume projects themselves as Lao-tzu + Buddha + Yoda = Aksel Lund Svindal in a $100 head band with a walkie talkie. Bonus points if you make the hardships in your trip sound like the Siege of Leningrad which you were only able to conquer because of your indomitable will.
    We don't need more sermonizing 20 year olds with selfie sticks. We need more Glen Plake. Seems like this dude is part of the solution. Keep it up.
    (And I acknowledge that athletes in the mountains do encounter very real danger. I just would like honest reporting. Was it Beth Rhoden who said, style doesn't matter as long as you're honest about it? Paraphrasing.)

Quote Originally Posted by hafjell View Post
    We don't need more sermonizing 20 year olds with selfie sticks. We need more Glen Plake. Seems like this dude is part of the solution. Keep it up....)
    Four perfect sentences.