Page 23 of 132 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

So good. Jimmy Chin is so casual about it all. "If you fall I'll just jump over the other side of the ridge to create a belay for you." NBD. Lol.

what a gorgeous mountain. great episode. that breakable crust did not make me envious

I knew it obviously all worked out, but still on edge for every turn. Great filmmaking!

Such a good episode. I happened to be up in Jackson when Cody was there. Conditions were awful everywhere and it’s amazing to see them do this then.

Gear room life goals.....

Thanks for the stoke, Cody! Loved seeing you and Jimmy Chin together up there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How is it that this just keeps getting better with each episode? Great work guys!

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Did Bjarne just solo everything first?

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    How is it that this just keeps getting better with each episode? Great work guys!

... Thom
    I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for giving us super inspiring stoke week after week, Cody. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

this is enjoyable to follow. Solomon seems to have a good crew. Was curious if Cody is going for University now. Looks like his last instagram was Meteorite.
    off your knees Louie

Staring out my window at the Grand Right now, nice work man. Company doesn't get much better.

I noticed Noah Howell seems to be working on the same project? Would be cool if you guys linked up and ticked a line off together.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    ...I noticed Noah Howell seems to be working on the same project? Would be cool if you guys linked up and ticked a line off together.
    I think they may already have? If you listen to the Totally Deep podcast with Cody he talks about hooking up with Noah soon.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think they may already have? If you listen to the Totally Deep podcast with Cody he talks about hooking up with Noah soon.
    Good stuff, thanks for cluing me in!

So good. Jimmy can’t even remember how many times he’s skied The Grand? wow
    He’s kinda an alpha male, you think?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Impressive effort and great video! This reminded me why I love the Tetons, so epic...

Curious what the logic is behind crampons on when rapping? Does everyone do this can I be lazy and slide down?

Love how the Oscar is just "hanging out" on the climbing ax gear shelf... You know, no big deal...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Curious what the logic is behind crampons on when rapping? Does everyone do this can I be lazy and slide down?
    this is only a guess, but my guess would be downclimbing to the actual rap station above the exposure feels sketchy in just ski boots

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    this is only a guess, but my guess would be downclimbing to the actual rap station above the exposure feels sketchy in just ski boots
    Having skied the Grand as well as performing several other rappels in winter conditions, you really need to wear crampons to help control your descent. There are some ice bulges in the Stettner and having crampons on to gain purchase on the bulges helps you control the rappel. If you just have ski boots or keep your skis on, you could easily lose control of your rappel if your foot or skis slip when dropping over one of the bulges.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Love how the Oscar is just "hanging out" on the climbing ax gear shelf... You know, no big deal...
    That's how you have to do it. A friend of mine from high school just won an Emmy a few days ago... and I told him it has to go in the bathroom for sure.

So sick! I'll 3rd or 4th or whatever on each episode getting better. Lucky you got to climb w Jimmy, so jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Control. Safety.

If boots slip and you bounce off the wall it's dangerous. Hit your head or lose grip on the brake hand is not ideal. Plus it keeps you in better rapp posture than if your feet have slipped down and you're squished flat against the wall. Sometimes you're rapping down at a bit of an angle and you need some positive grip on the wall for direction.
    I find easier to manage the descent and avoid excess force on the anchors as well.

if you need to stand, rest, unload the line, or adjust pinching of the harness mid-rap you'll want/need crampons on to do that.

just a couple ideas
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 05-08-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: adding stoke

Well played Cody and cru.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

... Thom
    Probably because Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Probably because Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.
    Totally. Always more room for explosions and training montages...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Folks can be their own worst critics. We see our flaws which are invisible to others.

I think you guys started at a very high level, and the fact that you're building on this is a testament to your professionalism.

Thanks!
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I just binge watched from episode 6 through 12. So, so good. Makes me want to go plan for some rad adventure that starts to0 early and ends after sundown.

This is great stuff Cody and Bjarne. Thanks for sharing.