Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 575 of 805

Thread: The FIFTY

  1. #551
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    the LCC
    Posts
    347
    Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Jimmy Chin has to be one of the biggest bad asses on the face of this planet.
    And so down to earth. Nice addition to the guest list.
    Cool to see hesitancy and respect given to the weather, snow conditions, and exposure.
    In all episodes.
    Cody and Bjarne, you have entered the realm of mentoring through social media.
    Whether you know it or not.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

  2. #552
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    8,853
    The grand and so casual about it. That's a new fave episode

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  3. #553
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    5,758
    So good. Jimmy Chin is so casual about it all. "If you fall I'll just jump over the other side of the ridge to create a belay for you." NBD. Lol.

  4. #554
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,432
    what a gorgeous mountain. great episode. that breakable crust did not make me envious

  5. #555
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    5,587
    I knew it obviously all worked out, but still on edge for every turn. Great filmmaking!

  6. #556
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    6,440
    Such a good episode. I happened to be up in Jackson when Cody was there. Conditions were awful everywhere and itís amazing to see them do this then.

  7. #557
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whistler
    Posts
    1,791
    Gear room life goals.....

  8. #558
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    246
    Thanks for the stoke, Cody! Loved seeing you and Jimmy Chin together up there.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  9. #559
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    2,879
    How is it that this just keeps getting better with each episode? Great work guys!

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  10. #560
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,502
    Did Bjarne just solo everything first?

  11. #561
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Imaginationland
    Posts
    3,701
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    How is it that this just keeps getting better with each episode? Great work guys!

    ... Thom
    I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for giving us super inspiring stoke week after week, Cody. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

  12. #562
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    cordova,AK
    Posts
    2,634
    this is enjoyable to follow. Solomon seems to have a good crew. Was curious if Cody is going for University now. Looks like his last instagram was Meteorite.
    off your knees Louie

  13. #563
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,364
    Staring out my window at the Grand Right now, nice work man. Company doesn't get much better.

    I noticed Noah Howell seems to be working on the same project? Would be cool if you guys linked up and ticked a line off together.

  14. #564
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    3,680
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    ...I noticed Noah Howell seems to be working on the same project? Would be cool if you guys linked up and ticked a line off together.
    I think they may already have? If you listen to the Totally Deep podcast with Cody he talks about hooking up with Noah soon.

  15. #565
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Behind the Potato Curtain
    Posts
    3,364
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think they may already have? If you listen to the Totally Deep podcast with Cody he talks about hooking up with Noah soon.
    Good stuff, thanks for cluing me in!

  16. #566
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bottom feeding
    Posts
    7,077
    So good. Jimmy canít even remember how many times heís skied The Grand? wow
    Heís kinda an alpha male, you think?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

  17. #567
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45
    Impressive effort and great video! This reminded me why I love the Tetons, so epic...

    Curious what the logic is behind crampons on when rapping? Does everyone do this can I be lazy and slide down?

  18. #568
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    465
    Love how the Oscar is just "hanging out" on the climbing ax gear shelf... You know, no big deal...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

  19. #569
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Curious what the logic is behind crampons on when rapping? Does everyone do this can I be lazy and slide down?
    this is only a guess, but my guess would be downclimbing to the actual rap station above the exposure feels sketchy in just ski boots

  20. #570
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    this is only a guess, but my guess would be downclimbing to the actual rap station above the exposure feels sketchy in just ski boots
    Having skied the Grand as well as performing several other rappels in winter conditions, you really need to wear crampons to help control your descent. There are some ice bulges in the Stettner and having crampons on to gain purchase on the bulges helps you control the rappel. If you just have ski boots or keep your skis on, you could easily lose control of your rappel if your foot or skis slip when dropping over one of the bulges.

  21. #571
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sonoma & Truckee
    Posts
    11,058
    Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Love how the Oscar is just "hanging out" on the climbing ax gear shelf... You know, no big deal...
    That's how you have to do it. A friend of mine from high school just won an Emmy a few days ago... and I told him it has to go in the bathroom for sure.

  22. #572
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Mostly the Elks, mostly.
    Posts
    310
    So sick! I'll 3rd or 4th or whatever on each episode getting better. Lucky you got to climb w Jimmy, so jealous!


    Quote Originally Posted by BoulderBreak View Post
    Curious what the logic is behind crampons on when rapping? Does everyone do this can I be lazy and slide down?
    Control. Safety.

    If boots slip and you bounce off the wall it's dangerous. Hit your head or lose grip on the brake hand is not ideal. Plus it keeps you in better rapp posture than if your feet have slipped down and you're squished flat against the wall. Sometimes you're rapping down at a bit of an angle and you need some positive grip on the wall for direction.
    I find easier to manage the descent and avoid excess force on the anchors as well.

    if you need to stand, rest, unload the line, or adjust pinching of the harness mid-rap you'll want/need crampons on to do that.

    just a couple ideas
    Last edited by MiddleOfNight; 05-08-2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: adding stoke

  23. #573
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    14,740
    Well played Cody and cru.
    watch out for snakes

  24. #574
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Brohemia
    Posts
    2,094
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    How is it that this just keeps getting better with each episode? Great work guys!

    ... Thom
    Probably because Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.

  25. #575
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Probably because Bjarne nor I, nor anyone I knew, had ever done anything like this before. We knew from the beginning that we'd be figuring it all out on the fly. How to capture the best story, the crucial moments and tie it all together to make a decent mini-film in one to at most three days of filming while at the same time not bogging down the mission at hand was hard to wrap our brains around at first. So we just went out there and started figuring it out, churning out the edits and figured out what wasn't working and what was working. We still feel like we have a lot of room to improve.
    Totally. Always more room for explosions and training montages...
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •