Page 15 of 132 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The guy made one of the biggest mistakes of his life... I’m sure he’s champing at the bit to put himself out there and get a bunch of shit from people he doesn’t know.
    Well I don't know about that [the mistakes part]. Even a party of three died on that a few years back. I don't know if solo-or-not would have made a difference and sometimes solo is best. I doubt he wants or needs to get media attention but I'm not sure about the whole 'was he solo' train. Steve Romeo wasn't solo when he passed away. Neither are many others caught in backcountry misadventure. Fact: if he succeeded, there would have been "his balls are too big to fit in those pants' comments. I'm a little conflicted about my own comment too - maybe the 'solo' thing is relevant. But then, maybe it is not. I'm not judging. Maybe he did everything right and conditions were right and he just had a bad turn?? It's too extreme a situation and some people just dig going solo.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Well I don't know about that [the mistakes part]. Even a party of three died on that a few years back. I don't know if solo-or-not would have made a difference and sometimes solo is best. I doubt he wants or needs to get media attention but I'm not sure about the whole 'was he solo' train. Steve Romeo wasn't solo when he passed away. Neither are many others caught in backcountry misadventure. Fact: if he succeeded, there would have been "his balls are too big to fit in those pants' comments. I'm a little conflicted about my own comment too - maybe the 'solo' thing is relevant. But then, maybe it is not. I'm not judging. Maybe he did everything right and conditions were right and he just had a bad turn?? It's too extreme a situation and some people just dig going solo.
    Quality post.

I was drinking a beer with my guide at the end of a 5 day tour a few weeks ago. We watched a dude ski a very intense line. He was solo. As the guide pointed out, it didn't matter if you ski that line solo or with a partner. If he fell on any part of it or set off a slide it was game over. Obviously this line is slightly different, but solo can be an okay choice -- it's your choice.

30 minutes later the dude walked onto the same patio. He was late 60s and said he'd been waiting all year for his yearly lap of the line....

Well, we kind of know that conditions were not optimal. Someone else dying in an incident while not solo isn't really relevant to the question of whether or not it was a good idea. I'm not trying to be judgmental at all... just saying that I completely get why he wouldn't want to come forward.

FWIW, I travel in the BC solo quite frequently but I'm way more careful / conservative when I do. Some people would say going several miles out by yourself is stupid even if you're not getting rad, so we all have different scales of acceptable risk. I've taken small drops out solo that I realized in hindsight I should have just skied around... land on one rock and break your leg and you might just be screwed, and next thing you know a bunch of people are calling you an idiot on some ski forum, right? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Well, we kind of know that conditions were not optimal. Someone else dying in an incident while not solo isn't really relevant to the question of whether or not it was a good idea. I'm not trying to be judgmental at all... just saying that I completely get why he wouldn't want to come forward.

FWIW, I travel in the BC solo quite frequently but I'm way more careful / conservative when I do.
    BTW - I wasn't singling out your post in particular. You just summarized what a lot of people said.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

"30 minutes later the dude walked onto the same patio. He was late 60s and said he'd been waiting all year for his yearly lap of the line...."

Love to read about 60 something boys and girls getting after it, at 46 it helps clarify that making healthy decisions now might extend hi-quality ski days for a decade or so (i mean eating and exercise, of course a bad turn/step can always change the scenario quickly)
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

making healthy decisions now might extend hi-quality ski days
    Do everything you can to keep your cartilage.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

This is for Cody.

On joffre, you said the snow sucked.

Was it because you wanted to ski it fast?

Or you felt it wasn't safe?

Looking at your first three turns, it looked like a lot of the snow i find in the backcountry, not great, but doable.

Btw, i live in squaw and i remember, years ago, on a powder day, you add a few other guys were always in wildflour at lunch.
    And you were in a purple jacket.
    Susan introduced us once.

And at the time, mid week powder day, there were maybe ten people in there. Now, what, a hundred?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

If you read back Cody describes the range of snow conditions they found.

I'll just reply generally to why we're not commenting on the rescued's situation. The primary reason we're not commenting on it is there is not much to learn from it. The questions of being solo, do-ability in those conditions and risk taking can often be vastly different answers for different people. Did I think Central Couloir was skiable? For me, that was a definite no. Would Vivian Bruchez, Tof Henry or some other Chamonix badass think it was skiable? Probably be yes. Did he think it was skiable, obviously he did. I honestly didn't think there was many widely teachable lessons from what the skier did. The primary mistake he made is a mistake we all instinctively know, he fell where you don't fall, so why do we need to comment on that or talk about it? I think we all want to know what he was doing or thinking only out of personal gratification, not to learn something. So for us, it was about sharing what we think would be more generally teachable lessons by sharing the rescue story, not the mistakes of the victim.

Cody -- I realize longer form writing is not valued as much these days as perhaps it was in the past. But between your posts here (this one on solo-ness and mistakes as much as many others), and your article(s) in The Ski Journal -- I sure hope there is a way your writing can keep coming. Your writing voice is neigh as good as your skiing. It may take a while for the non-ski-obsessed to get that.I haven't placed it yet, but is a bit like if James Salter new as much about backcountry skiing as he knew about sex.

Thanks for this project, its fantastic to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    I'll just reply generally to why we're not commenting on the rescued's situation. The primary reason we're not commenting on it is there is not much to learn from it. The questions of being solo, do-ability in those conditions and risk taking can often be vastly different answers for different people. Did I think Central Couloir was skiable? For me, that was a definite no. Would Vivian Bruchez, Tof Henry or some other Chamonix badass think it was skiable? Probably be yes. Did he think it was skiable, obviously he did. I honestly didn't think there was many widely teachable lessons from what the skier did. The primary mistake he made is a mistake we all instinctively know, he fell where you don't fall, so why do we need to comment on that or talk about it? I think we all want to know what he was doing or thinking only out of personal gratification, not to learn something. So for us, it was about sharing what we think would be more generally teachable lessons by sharing the rescue story, not the mistakes of the victim.
    And major props to you for what you did in that situation and also with regard to not being critical for his getting into that situation in the first place. Not that I want to know who the guy is but I'm curious if you've followed up to see what his current condition is. Since this was, what, six weeks ago or so? Do you know how he's healing? Hoping he's going to be alright.

For the record, the dude did prove that the line went and was skiable in those conditions. And he got a heli ride to boot!

People condemn choices too much. IMHO the only bad bad choice is when others are engaged by that personal choice.

I can't believe no one is talking about the time Cody made. After a biggish day like the one they just did, 28 minutes from joffre apron to cell cervice is really quite incredible. The ski out feels almost uphill both ways, not to mention the need to then drive another ~10km once you actually get to your vehicle. I don't know too many people who could pull that off, life or death situation or not.

I thought Bjarne summed it up well in this comment on his IG feed:

we should never judge people without knowing exactly what he was doing and what happened and if we were not there in person. There are plenty of people skiing solo in the backcountry and people never say anything. Except if something happens. He is a great dude and a very good ski mountaineer. With some bad luck.
    I think that’s how it is in everyday life as well. That we should not judge others if we are not there in person and know every factors around the situation ��

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post

"we should never judge people without knowing exactly what he was doing and what happened and if we were not there in person. There are plenty of people skiing solo in the backcountry and people never say anything. Except if something happens. He is a great dude and a very good ski mountaineer. With some bad luck.
    I think that’s how it is in everyday life as well. That we should not judge others if we are not there in person and know every factors around the situation �

Agreed. Thanks for posting some words of wisdom regarding not just this incident but to be reminded of some sound fundamentals for maintaining or perhaps adjusting the trajectory of one's general life ethos in regards to being a good human being.
    Master of mediocrity.

Episode # 8

Again, my favorite part of this series is how "real" it is.

Feeling sick? Time for more TP.

Climbing steep stuff? Yeah I'm scared.

"How ya doing? Scared." DAMN RIGHT!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I can't believe no one is talking about the time Cody made. After a biggish day like the one they just did, 28 minutes from joffre apron to cell cervice is really quite incredible. The ski out feels almost uphill both ways, not to mention the need to then drive another ~10km once you actually get to your vehicle. I don't know too many people who could pull that off, life or death situation or not.
    Appreciate you sharing the details about that. Cody really played it down. It sounds incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Thanks for posting that.

Looking forward to watching the new episode now!

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Again, my favorite part of this series is how "real" it is.

Feeling sick? Time for more TP.

Climbing steep stuff? Yeah I'm scared.
    agreed. we've all watched enough ski movies of rad skiers ripping shit, this is a great glimpse behind the curtain.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don't ski you fall you die terrain much anymore. However seeing the YT and TGR reactions ( presumably from skiers) to the Central Couloir solo skier makes me appreciate and understand why he would have no interest in coming forward.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I don't ski you fall you die terrain much anymore. However seeing the YT and TGR reactions ( presumably from skiers) to the Central Couloir solo skier makes me appreciate and understand why he would have no interest in coming forward.
    Exactly, not to mention... he was skiing alone. Maybe he just likes to ski, and do shit on his own and not talk to people about it, (other than his close friends and family, possibly).
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

#raincheck

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Even by the time I drove to get cell service at the switchbacks I could barely talk on the phone because I was still out of breath. It was a full sprint. But what else would you do when you think someone might live or die based on your own actions...?