Page 105 of 132 FirstFirst ... 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3291

Thread: The FIFTY

Look at recent youtube descriptions... it's all there.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Thanks J, I looked at the “GEAR Used in Episode” write up on the latest YouTube about the traverse, but maybe since they didn’t seem to be using any glacier gear in the episode they didn’t list anything. I’m interested in any ropes used.

I may be looking in the wrong place, tooo.

And sorry but I’m reviving an old account and I’m not Steve K (not sure what that’s all about). I’m Darren Jakal.
    All conditions, all terrain.
    Expect nothing, don’t be disappointed.
    Too Old To Die Young (TOTDY)

From what I remember, Cody uses the Petzl Rad line for a rope. I have a 30m and they're great for ski mountaineering (glacier travel and rapping)

Thanks Bronco! That’s a great, if expensive, option. My old 8mm should be replaced soon and I would love to lighten it up a bit. Seems like Ti-Blocks could work with this rope, but I’ll look into that more.

I would be interested in what crevasse rescue system they use, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Jakal View Post
    Hey Cody, can you tell us what you took for glacier gear?
    Used a basic glacier kit. Though we mainly just lugged it around for 90 miles. Used it once though, so that felt nice it wasn't just extra weight.

Anyways, basic kit is either the Mammut 6.0mm Glacier Cord or Petzl Rad Line (they're essentially the same thing, though I have had less fraying with the Mammut Cord), 1 Tibloc, 1 Mini-Trax, 1 Double Length Sling, 1 13cm-17cm Ice Screw, 3 lockers and 1 non-locker. That's pretty much what I bring every time I'm on a glacier.

Thanks for the reply Cody. Taking the rope for a glacier walk is pretty common and why I’m always looking for lighter alternatives. Are you using the 30m version?

When you used it was it for roped travel or a rescue, or both? I’m always concerned about how much distance I can put between skiers, but still have enough left over for a rescue with a 30m rope.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Jakal View Post
    Thanks for the reply Cody. Taking the rope for a glacier walk is pretty common and why I’m always looking for lighter alternatives. Are you using the 30m version?

When you used it was it for roped travel or a rescue? I’m always concerned about how much distance I can put between skiers, but still have enough left over for a rescue with a 30m rope.

Cheers
    Yeah always use a 30m rope used for roped travel, rescue and rappels. Generally I use for 2-3 people and in a pinch, 4 for roped travel. The thing I've found, is if you practice good rope management on heavily crevassed terrain, you don't need to conduct a rescue ever. Keep that rope tight and usually a fall won't be beyond a couple feet...this is from experience too.

Yes, that is the key. Keep the rope taught. This is a skill that is often overlooked.

Thanks for the great content! You might appreciate this winter shelter I’ve been working on for some years. It’s more for making remote summits from the road, but it could be useful in a traverse.

https://timtinker.com/ftr-tent-stove-photos/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE0723C9-DF53-407F-8E2B-9432789A74A3.jpeg 
Views:	144 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	438219  

Cody, how did you decide where to leave your caches? Was any thought made about what you’d do if one of them wasn’t there for some reason? Like were they in spots you could easily exit, or somewhere easy to have someone meet you with food?

and why didn't you use home depot buckets with the lids to keep critters out of the cache?

If I get a time machine one of the things I'm going to do is make sure Art, Penn, and Dav don't put any traverses in the book.

We ran into an ornery pine martin on this trip a few years back: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ng-of-Katahdin

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    and why didn't you use home depot buckets with the lids to keep critters out of the cache?
    Because leaving an orange plastic bucket in the woods is pretty frowned upon and carrying them out or retrieving them would be a pain in the ass. Wood some glue and a couple screws to remove and carry out is far easier to burn and dispose of.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Cody, how did you decide where to leave your caches? Was any thought made about what you’d do if one of them wasn’t there for some reason? Like were they in spots you could easily exit, or somewhere easy to have someone meet you with food?
    There wasn’t much beta on cache placements for our direction so I based it on a guesstimate of distance traveled and the number of days to get there. It was just some educated guessing. I didn’t factor in ease of exit in case the cache was raided much…didn’t think it’d be an issue honestly. If we did lose a cache, it would’ve been a miserable but survivable exit. But not gonna lie, it was hard to decide where to put them and the first one I should’ve put up high near silent lake to avoid carrying a super full pack up 3k vert. Our second cache we nailed.

Oh, I was assuming you went back to pick it up post trip...

Maybe a cedar box would be the way to go for something like this, supposedly repellant for mice.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Oh, I was assuming you went back to pick it up post trip...

Maybe a cedar box would be the way to go for something like this, supposedly repellant for mice.
    Sounds expensive. We just went with scrap wood because we didn’t want to buy a bunch of lumber for a box we were gonna burn a few days later. We just didn’t get a chance to bury it well enough on a frozen morning and didn’t get to seal it up well enough. But it all worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    Sounds expensive. We just went with scrap wood because we didn’t want to buy a bunch of lumber for a box we were gonna burn a few days later. We just didn’t get a chance to bury it well enough on a frozen morning and didn’t get to seal it up well enough. But it all worked out.
    Maybe the local lumber yard will sponsor the next one...

#parkinglot
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The views / drone shots ( especially around the 8 minute mark) would take away some of the suck out of a traverse. Type 2 fun.

There are some that think it acceptable to use plastic buckets for caches (I’m not one). Find the cache, drink the booze, pig out, and incinerate the buckets in a mother fucking bonfire. You would be amazed what some will burn because “plastic is pretty much petroleum”.

Anyway, I hope there is an episode that goes into a little more detail on the logistics of the adventure. Like the cache decisions, stove and fuel amounts, and so on.

Funniest episode to date.

My first and only hut trip to BC involved the daily morning ritual of sheparding the pine martin out of the outhouse where he'd decided to take up residence.

You should take Elise on a fun traverse in Europe sometime. Where you ski, carry light packs and have sweet charcuterie boards and beers served to your at huts.

Lol, pine martins are such assholes.

Be glad it was not a farrier or a badger.
    watch out for snakes

Probably also had something to do with them camping at a summer trailhead that time too.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

So Cody, now that it’s been a while, do you feel that after you did that Death Valley bike ride and the bike ride up to the PNW to ski, do you think you did any irreparable harm to your body? Or do you think it was good that now you know how that pain feels and you can avoid it, or do you have flashbacks? Even now, I sometimes go to that pain zone and I kind of like the flashbacks.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda