Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    636

    Flylow Baker VS Firebird

    Looking for bibs.
    I really like the look of the Flylow Baker, but can't find it for a reasonable price. There is also the Firebird.
    It seems like the key difference is the fabric- 20K vs 10k.
    Anybody have any real world experience with both fabrics?
    I know people love the Bakers- anybody rocking the Firebirds?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Killin' time
    Posts
    207
    Trew has a sale on this weekend. 40% off with POWHOG code at checkout. Trewth bibs are sweet.
    Being grown-up sucks!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Trew has a sale on this weekend. 40% off with POWHOG code at checkout. Trewth bibs are sweet.
    I want to love Trew bibs, but the lack of inner thigh vents kills them for me. The cross venting on Flylow is clutch.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,055
    1234

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mosier, OR
    Posts
    146
    Trew is garbage. Go with the Baker bibs. I have 100+ days on mine and they are good as new. You can usually find them for significant discount on ebay and Amazon. At the very least, one of the major online outdoor retailers is usually offering 20% off one 1 item.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Buena Vista, CO
    Posts
    118
    Bakers. Love mine

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Trew is garbage.
    Why do you say so?

    My wife has trew women's bib from this season start and it was good so far. I'm thinking about buying Roam bib. So I'm curious about your experience.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hyde Park, Vt
    Posts
    125
    Trew doenst fit if you have huge thighs and hips...flylow does.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Trew is garbage. Go with the Baker bibs. I have 100+ days on mine and they are good as new. You can usually find them for significant discount on ebay and Amazon. At the very least, one of the major online outdoor retailers is usually offering 20% off one 1 item.
    while I agree the fabric is bomber (compound pants from a few years back), I think flylow lacks in finishing quality, I have snaps coming out, zippers falling apart and random things like that happening with both pants/jacket. Never had this happen with older stuff (patagucci, OR) I have that's been used and abused as well.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mosier, OR
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Why do you say so?
    Based on numerous reports posted on this forum and also personal reports from people I know. They all say that Trew stuff falls apart in less than a season. Also, they look like garbage as well- if that matters to you.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Mosier, OR
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    while I agree the fabric is bomber (compound pants from a few years back), I think flylow lacks in finishing quality, I have snaps coming out, zippers falling apart and random things like that happening with both pants/jacket. Never had this happen with older stuff (patagucci, OR) I have that's been used and abused as well.
    I have never seen another report of poor quality regarding any Flylow products. I only have personal experience with Baker bibs and Chemical pants and they are totally bomber and last forever. Oh, I have a Higgins jacket as well that I love and it is also like new after 75+ days. No issues.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,938
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    I have never seen another report of poor quality regarding any Flylow products.
    Well the was the "Flylow jackets don't fit my boobs" review that mntgirl79 posted. I'd say there's a probably a lucky dude out there that appreciates that about her.

    But I've only had great experiences with Flylow personally, and I've own and fucktonne of their stuff over the last decade or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Chicken Coop, Seattle
    Posts
    2,534
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Based on numerous reports posted on this forum and also personal reports from people I know. They all say that Trew stuff falls apart in less than a season. Also, they look like garbage as well- if that matters to you.
    The first gen Canadian made trewth bib is not garbage. Itís the most bomber piece of outerwear Iíve ever owned. But they donít sell those currently. Pretty happy with the capow jacket for touring. But it only has 5 days or so on it. Havenít needed a new bib in forever.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    93
    Ultimate deal: Buy my Virtika Bibs. 25k waterproof and inner thigh vents. Worn 5 times. $100 . If nothing else, this is a free bump

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NWCT
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    The first gen Canadian made trewth bib is not garbage. Itís the most bomber piece of outerwear Iíve ever owned.
    Seconded. Iím still rocking a pair of first gen Trewth bibs. Super bomber and waterproof AF. Perfect resort pants. That said, my OG flylow chemical pants are also still kicking. Both brands make quality gear.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    636
    I kind of figured I would be hearing this. A lot of love for the Baker Bibs around here.
    Nobody using Firebirds?
    Also- OP should have mentioned- 80% touring, and I use softshells for warmer tours.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    217
    I've got some Trewth bibs that I have had for at 5 years and they were used before I got them and still going strong. Just put a slice in them last weekend. Bibs say made in Nepal!

    I am tempted to pick up a new pair for about $240 with that sale unless the quality really has slipped that much in the last few years.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26
    Two seasons touring the backcountry with Firebirds, aside from being a bit too baggy for my liking Iím really happy with them. No weird issues with design, zippers or fabric. Even with the occasional tree branch or ski edge when ripping skins the no sign of tearing. Flylow has someone in Boulder that works on alterations of customers gear, useful side note.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Trees
    Posts
    653

    Flylow Baker VS Firebird

    Bump this.

    Looking for bibs as a gift to a ski coach. Need something to stand up to long days over multiple seasons. Is the answer still Flylow Baker? Im struggling with the price.

    We have owned multiple pairs of Trew pants from 2013 vintage on and all have had seam delams of one type or another. Trew has been great with warranty but still frustrating enough that I wont go back.








    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Bump this.

    Looking for bibs as a gift to a ski coach. Need something to stand up to long days over multiple seasons. Is the answer still Flylow Baker? Im struggling with the price.

    We have owned multiple pairs of Trew pants from 2013 vintage on and all have had seam delams of one type or another. Trew has been great with warranty but still frustrating enough that I wont go back.








    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Race coach or freeride coach?

    If he's a race coach I'd recommend going for a real race-coach pant like the Spyder Coach's Bib Pant- https://www.spyder.com/products/mens-coachs-bib-pant or Helly Hansen Mule Coach Pant- http://www.skicatalogue.com/boutique...12&language=en, Descente Coach's Bib Pant (if you can find em anywhere)- https://www.skiracing.com/gear-guide...nte-coach-pant

    Not only are they insulated (key for long days on the hill) but those knee pads are really useful when you spending a whole afternoon putting kids into their race skis or rolling B-Netting.

    And you can never have too many pockets.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Trees
    Posts
    653
    Mogul coach. Great feedback. Thanks.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1

    Baker input

    I have owned the Bakers for two seasons, love them...only one complaint, the material used although durable, after long deep days out does tend to gather snow and eventually ice up. Just something you should know before purchasing.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    11,815
    Quote Originally Posted by UTSled2ski View Post
    only one complaint, the material used although durable, after long deep days out does tend to gather snow and eventually ice up. Just something you should know before purchasing.
    this is my only complaint too
    doesn't even take a long day...just step into deeper snow - happens even the day after a fresh application of dwr
    its a coarse weave, so expect wet cuffs when you get into indoor temps (in the bar or driving home)
    that said, the inside stays as dry as any other high end product

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •