Flylow Baker VS Firebird

Looking for bibs.
    I really like the look of the Flylow Baker, but can't find it for a reasonable price. There is also the Firebird.
    It seems like the key difference is the fabric- 20K vs 10k.
    Anybody have any real world experience with both fabrics?
    I know people love the Bakers- anybody rocking the Firebirds?

Trew has a sale on this weekend. 40% off with POWHOG code at checkout. Trewth bibs are sweet.
    Being grown-up sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Trew has a sale on this weekend. 40% off with POWHOG code at checkout. Trewth bibs are sweet.
    I want to love Trew bibs, but the lack of inner thigh vents kills them for me. The cross venting on Flylow is clutch.

Trew is garbage. Go with the Baker bibs. I have 100+ days on mine and they are good as new. You can usually find them for significant discount on ebay and Amazon. At the very least, one of the major online outdoor retailers is usually offering 20% off one 1 item.

Bakers. Love mine

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Trew is garbage.
    Why do you say so?

My wife has trew women's bib from this season start and it was good so far. I'm thinking about buying Roam bib. So I'm curious about your experience.

Trew doenst fit if you have huge thighs and hips...flylow does.

Trew is garbage. Go with the Baker bibs. I have 100+ days on mine and they are good as new. You can usually find them for significant discount on ebay and Amazon. At the very least, one of the major online outdoor retailers is usually offering 20% off one 1 item.
    while I agree the fabric is bomber (compound pants from a few years back), I think flylow lacks in finishing quality, I have snaps coming out, zippers falling apart and random things like that happening with both pants/jacket. Never had this happen with older stuff (patagucci, OR) I have that's been used and abused as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    Why do you say so?
    Based on numerous reports posted on this forum and also personal reports from people I know. They all say that Trew stuff falls apart in less than a season. Also, they look like garbage as well- if that matters to you.

Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    while I agree the fabric is bomber (compound pants from a few years back), I think flylow lacks in finishing quality, I have snaps coming out, zippers falling apart and random things like that happening with both pants/jacket. Never had this happen with older stuff (patagucci, OR) I have that's been used and abused as well.
    I have never seen another report of poor quality regarding any Flylow products. I only have personal experience with Baker bibs and Chemical pants and they are totally bomber and last forever. Oh, I have a Higgins jacket as well that I love and it is also like new after 75+ days. No issues.

I have never seen another report of poor quality regarding any Flylow products.
    Well the was the "Flylow jackets don't fit my boobs" review that mntgirl79 posted. I'd say there's a probably a lucky dude out there that appreciates that about her.

But I've only had great experiences with Flylow personally, and I've own and fucktonne of their stuff over the last decade or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Based on numerous reports posted on this forum and also personal reports from people I know. They all say that Trew stuff falls apart in less than a season. Also, they look like garbage as well- if that matters to you.
    The first gen Canadian made trewth bib is not garbage. It’s the most bomber piece of outerwear I’ve ever owned. But they don’t sell those currently. Pretty happy with the capow jacket for touring. But it only has 5 days or so on it. Haven’t needed a new bib in forever.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Ultimate deal: Buy my Virtika Bibs. 25k waterproof and inner thigh vents. Worn 5 times. $100 . If nothing else, this is a free bump

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    The first gen Canadian made trewth bib is not garbage. It’s the most bomber piece of outerwear I’ve ever owned.
    Seconded. I’m still rocking a pair of first gen Trewth bibs. Super bomber and waterproof AF. Perfect resort pants. That said, my OG flylow chemical pants are also still kicking. Both brands make quality gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of figured I would be hearing this. A lot of love for the Baker Bibs around here.
    Nobody using Firebirds?
    Also- OP should have mentioned- 80% touring, and I use softshells for warmer tours.

I've got some Trewth bibs that I have had for at 5 years and they were used before I got them and still going strong. Just put a slice in them last weekend. Bibs say made in Nepal!

I am tempted to pick up a new pair for about $240 with that sale unless the quality really has slipped that much in the last few years.

Two seasons touring the backcountry with Firebirds, aside from being a bit too baggy for my liking I’m really happy with them. No weird issues with design, zippers or fabric. Even with the occasional tree branch or ski edge when ripping skins the no sign of tearing. Flylow has someone in Boulder that works on alterations of customers gear, useful side note.

Flylow Baker VS Firebird

Bump this.

Looking for bibs as a gift to a ski coach. Need something to stand up to long days over multiple seasons. Is the answer still Flylow Baker? Im struggling with the price.

We have owned multiple pairs of Trew pants from 2013 vintage on and all have had seam delams of one type or another. Trew has been great with warranty but still frustrating enough that I wont go back.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    That Don't Make No Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Cabinfever View Post
    Bump this.

Looking for bibs as a gift to a ski coach. Need something to stand up to long days over multiple seasons. Is the answer still Flylow Baker? Im struggling with the price.

We have owned multiple pairs of Trew pants from 2013 vintage on and all have had seam delams of one type or another. Trew has been great with warranty but still frustrating enough that I wont go back.

Race coach or freeride coach?

If he's a race coach I'd recommend going for a real race-coach pant like the Spyder Coach's Bib Pant- https://www.spyder.com/products/mens-coachs-bib-pant or Helly Hansen Mule Coach Pant- http://www.skicatalogue.com/boutique...12&language=en, Descente Coach's Bib Pant (if you can find em anywhere)- https://www.skiracing.com/gear-guide...nte-coach-pant

Not only are they insulated (key for long days on the hill) but those knee pads are really useful when you spending a whole afternoon putting kids into their race skis or rolling B-Netting.

And you can never have too many pockets.

Mogul coach. Great feedback. Thanks.

That Don't Make No Sense

Baker input

I have owned the Bakers for two seasons, love them...only one complaint, the material used although durable, after long deep days out does tend to gather snow and eventually ice up. Just something you should know before purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by UTSled2ski View Post
    only one complaint, the material used although durable, after long deep days out does tend to gather snow and eventually ice up. Just something you should know before purchasing.
    this is my only complaint too
    doesn't even take a long day...just step into deeper snow - happens even the day after a fresh application of dwr
    its a coarse weave, so expect wet cuffs when you get into indoor temps (in the bar or driving home)
    that said, the inside stays as dry as any other high end product