Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    or like every ski resort as well as towns in the alps
    In Chamonix last January they cordoned off a Supermarket and a Renault dealership due to avalanche danger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

That probably put a crimp in new car sales.

This is a tough one. Vibes to the victims families and everyone touched by this.

I’ve never considered wearing a beacon inbounds, and I think probably 99+% of resort skiers are the same (except maybe at Bridger).
    Maybe that will have to change.

Still, seems like whenever there is an inbounds slide, somebody screwed up. Hope this leads to meaningful changes not just at TSV, but across the industry to make things safer.

I suspect also, there will be lawsuits as a result of this, and hope TSV has sufficient insurance to weather the coming storm.
    Dude, just stop already, ok. Especially deciding that "someone screwed up"

Buddy of mine made the call to open an area at the Canyons in Utah, the area slid and a man died. He was dragged through the fucking ringer for 3 years before a jury found that the area did everything according to industry standards and that avalanche mitigation is not an exact science. He was vindicated but still feels like shit about it.

The only thing I would like to see change across the industry is for ski areas to realize that Ski Patrolling is a profession and they need to treat it that way. That means pay the staff well enough that they can afford to do the job, pay for continuing education and keep people around.

There are some areas that get it and many that do not.

Any of the local mags know this guy?

Clearly not stable there. Assuming this is below the Wheeler ridge somewhere.

Were the Renault’s beeping?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Any of the local mags know this guy?

Clearly not stable there. Assuming this is below the Wheeler ridge somewhere.
    Yeah, I know him. The guy gets out in the Taos bc on a regular basis, knows the country well, and spends a lot of time on snowpack analysis. He’s a regular on this site with lots of good shit: http://www.nnmae.org/phpbb3/index.php

I think that shot is in Wildy Bowl, E side (OB) of Kachina.

To generalize, the northern NM snowpack is a lot like the SW CO one right now. October storms left a base that went to facets and warmer storms in November left some crusts on top of that. Sucks.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 01-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.

Seems relatively intelligent:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BszmG9mHSka/

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Seems relatively intelligent:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BszmG9mHSka/
    Dude’s all right in my book.

Good with a long focal length lens too.

Edit: I believe the_flying_v here rides with him fairly often.
    Last edited by Meadow Skipper; 01-23-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I think that it is actually more common than people realize in CO. I can think of quite a few incidents that have happened over the years.
    Reread my post. Wasn't talking about incidents, was talking about inbounds signs encouraging people to wear beacons. Have you seen those?

I'm aware of inbounds avalanches in open terrain, I know they happen, isn't that why we're in this thread?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Reread my post. Wasn't talking about incidents, was talking about inbounds signs encouraging people to wear beacons.
    I thought your post was sufficiently clear.

There are two levels of using a beacon. The basic mode switching could be taught to a Chimp. So not worried about that. Now actually being able to track down in search mode in an efficient way is a different story and honestly the best part of taking avy 1.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The NM ski safety act doesn’t mention avalanches specifically:
    https://recreation-law.com/2012/01/2...er-safety-act/

But there’s this:

And I came across this:
    https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/18/s...lawsuits-fail/
    I read those too. IMO, any lawsuit is dead in the water, as our laws with regards to ski area liability seem very closely modeled on Colorado's. DISCLAIMER: I am not an attorney. Nor a dentist. Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Vibes to the victims and their families. This sucks.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Dude’s all right in my book.

Good with a long focal length lens too.
    Right on. I've been following him for a bit. Good pics and I love to see anything Taos.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Right on. I've been following him for a bit. Good pics and I love to see anything Taos.
    I just edited my post to say that I believe the_flying_v here rides with him fairly often. Maybe NW_skier as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    There are two levels of using a beacon. The basic mode switching could be taught to a Chimp. So not worried about that. Now actually being able to track down in search mode in an efficient way is a different story and honestly the best part of taking avy 1.
    The “basic mode” can be easily botched. The avi death at benson hut is good example of rescuers having troubles operating their beacons in the heat of the situation.

Is beacon searching really the best part of an avy1 course?

In-bounds slide at Taos? Kachina Peak

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The “basic mode” can be easily botched. The avi death at benson hut is good example of rescuers having troubles operating their beacons in the heat of the situation.

Is beacon searching really the best part of an avy1 course?
    If you’ve already read both Snow Sense and Tremper multiple times, pretty much. Most of the course just repeats all of the same stuff IMO. And to be fair I should include field pits since I was lucky enough to have an interesting snowpack.

I took the fuac course when it was offered. Terrain decisions/travel/assessment and hazard mitigation were the best parts.

Sure, although I felt pretty good about that already due to traveling with more experienced friends long before I took the course.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Reread my post. Wasn't talking about incidents, was talking about inbounds signs encouraging people to wear beacons. Have you seen those?
    I've only seen them at access points similar to leaving the resort, even if in bounds - ie the start of the hike to Mirkwood at Monarch has a beacon check and warning.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeRidges View Post
    Under the “can’t hurt” category, I searched around to see if you can buy the RECCO transmitter stickers only == bunch of TGR threads from 06 07, and seem to be available in Europe, but not here?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Scroll up a bit. I found a belt on backcountry.com. Not a free sticker, but what's your life worth (assuming you don't have a beacon)?

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-23-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Minor thread drift. How far away are we from a fairly effective smart phone app beacon? One that runs at the same time as Ski Trax type stuff would be pretty popular if it actually worked.
    Do you really want to trust your life to an Android or iPhone app update?

And on a humorous note: https://www.wildsnow.com/1773/avi-th...on-for-iphone/

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Phone as beacon:

True life safety systems are not used for entertainment, allowed to run frivolous apps, or any other purpose that can kill the battery off.

This is why people were up in arms about advanced beacons that used accelerometers, compasses, and gyros in their advanced search interface also have the ability for the wearer to take out the beacon and use it as a slope meter or compass.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I never said that a smart phone app would be better or ever preferable to a dedicated beacon. I just think it would be better than nothing at all if such a feature was automatically enabled with the popular ski vert apps for normal, recreational skiers who accidentally find themselves under snow in terrain they didn't realize was unstable. There is a huge difference between betting your life on an obviously sub standard piece of equipment and having something that might help out just in case. It's kind of like the difference between a fix a flat can or actual spare tire, jack, and lug wrench on board... or even more apples to apples, relying on being able to use your phone to call for roadside assistance. It really depends on where you are driving on which is the best, safest option. I happen to know I'll be driving through quite a bit of zero cell phone coverage zones next week. Gotta go with real DIY roadside problem tools including the scenario we might have to walk a few miles if we break down out in BFE.. Like take a real beacon if you know you are going someplace where a slide is a distinct possibility, whether a lift took you there or what side of a fence/gate makes no difference in that equation.

But feel free to continue to lecture on the evils of something I wasn't proposing as an actual substitute for BC or high risk in bounds skiing.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

“High risk in bounds skiing.” What does that mean? Feels very subjective.

Sending all of Bad News?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Terrain where avy control and risk assessment is typical.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!