Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm guessing that the two that were recovered were from visible cues from bystanders before the slide like mentioned, and from clues on the surface.

Probing an entire debris field and hoping for a live recovery of someone fully buried without a beacon seems like an impossibility unless there was a very shallow burial and a very quick dog hit.
    not sure. the article said they were buried for 22 minutes.
    regarding the probes I'm guessing the writer translated 300cm to 30'
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Side question - do most patrols assume the possibility that someone is wearing a beacon in areas where it's not required (as opposed to Schlasmans @ Bridger). I'm wondering if wearing one on deep days is useful at all (other than for body recovery).

On a side note, Googling around, i ser that Matmot sells a Recco belt for $40.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-19-2019 at 01:09 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    <snip> I'm wondering if wearing one on deep days is useful at all (other than for body recovery).
    This is actually a pretty valuable feature of beacon inbounds.

Side question - do most patrols assume the possibility that someone is wearing a beacon in areas where it's not required (i.e. Schlasmans @ Bridger). I'm wondering if wearing one on deep days is useful at all (other than for body recovery).

On a side note, Googling around, i ser that Matmot sells a Recco belt for $40.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    I asked this at Loveland this past weekend when patrol hooked up skiing a line because I had a beacon on. They said that if they have an inbounds slide, a beacon search would happen right after visual scan / ensure no others were in danger.

Side question - do most patrols assume the possibility that someone is wearing a beacon in areas where it's not required (i.e. Schlasmans @ Bridger). I'm wondering if wearing one on deep days is useful at all (other than for body recovery).
    I asked a similar question in the NM thread, and at least one patroller responded that it's pretty standard practice for ski patrol to do a beacon search pretty much immediately when arriving at an inbounds avy. So yes, wearing a beacon is probably your best bet for being dug out alive in an inbounds avy.

anecdotally I know at least two ex-ski-patrol guys who go beeping inbounds on deep/sketchy days, it can't hurt right? batteries are cheap

I rarely wear a beacon inbounds, but this incident may have me rethinking. But then I feel like I should also have the whole kit, and I hate wearing a pack on the lifts.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Terrain trap situation or did it just run to flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I rarely wear a beacon inbounds, but this incident may have me rethinking. But then I feel like I should also have the whole kit, and I hate wearing a pack on the lifts.
    I've often thought about getting a vest for exactly this reason.

I've ridden for the past few years with a Pieps Freeride when I'm riding lifts. It's small enough to fit the pocket of the pants I use for inbounds so it's something I never forget. I follow the same on at the car/off at the bar that you would for BC.

I also own a Barryvox for out of bounds scenarios, carrying something like a Freeride is a potential danger for would be partners partners at a hill with a liberal gate policy. I don't have any experience with the new Pieps Micro but it does seem to be a worthwhile update over the single antenna and limited range of the Freeride.

I wear a beacon inbounds on deeper days. Why not, I imagine if I were in that slide a beacon could very well mean the difference between life and death. I carry beers anyways so what's a little extra weight. I don't care a shovel or probe though. It's a little selfish for sure.

Side question - do most patrols assume the possibility that someone is wearing a beacon in areas where it's not required (i.e. Schlasmans @ Bridger)
    You need a beacon to get on Slushmans

When I lived Arroyo Seco and skied Taos daily back in the early to late 90s I'd always wear a beacon during and immediately after big snow events. I would access all the lift-accessed hike to terrain pretty regularly. There were many a day when I'd be in a remote area and trigger small to medium sized sluffs that sometimes stepped down simply because no other skiers had been in that area and they were micro-terrain features that may have eluded a hand charge or ski cut.

Taos Patrol is a cutting edge, hard working group of individuals who know their skills. The Sangre de Cristo snow pack is on par with trickiness as the San Juans- lurking depth hoar, pockets of high danger, lots of inconsistencies, steep and cliffy...

Sending good vibes to all involved...tough situation.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I asked a similar question in the NM thread, and at least one patroller responded that it's pretty standard practice for ski patrol to do a beacon search pretty much immediately when arriving at an inbounds avy. So yes, wearing a beacon is probably your best bet for being dug out alive in an inbounds avy.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    You need a beacon to get on Slushmans
    Cue the angry guy yelling at ticket window for a refund after being denied access with no beacon..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I've often thought about getting a vest for exactly this reason.
    My daily inbounds setup is an airbag vest with shovel & probe etc. Beeping always, chit happens. Creeks, holes, tree wells, pocket releases... and big slopes, too.

Used to ski with a pack but the vest circumvents the local chairlift rule of pack-on-lap, which fucking irks me.

Maybe a good use for one of these - https://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-tx600

I've routinely skied with a transceiver inbounds on deeper days since pretty much right after I first bought one. The April 2006 Climax slide at MMSA spooked the hell out of me. Generally wear the Avalung too on days when I'm worried about NARSIDS.

Carrying a pack with the shovel and probe too is less common, but still do it sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Ever since the inbounds slide that killed Heather at the Bird I have been beeping both inbounds and outside resort boundaries. On in the car off at the bar is what I say.

Vibes to the 26 year old Mass skiier that passed. And to his friends & family ++++++++++

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Ever since the inbounds slide that killed Heather at the Bird I have been beeping both inbounds and outside resort boundaries. On in the car off at the bar is what I say.

Minor thread drift. How far away are we from a fairly effective smart phone app beacon? One that runs at the same time as Ski Trax type stuff would be pretty popular if it actually worked. Doesn't have to be super powerful, but better than a RECCO tag would be adequate for most in bounds steep terrain folks. I mean they can add frequencies to your smart phone that turn it in to a universal remote control or 2 way talkie and other non phone frequency things. A beacon frequency pulse seems possible, maybe need an antenna to connect to the headphone or usb jack?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Maybe a good use for one of these - https://www.pieps.com/en/product/pieps-tx600
    Wrong frequency, unless you have the special pieps that you can switch to 456

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Minor thread drift. How far away are we from a fairly effective smart phone app beacon? One that runs at the same time as Ski Trax type stuff would be pretty popular if it actually worked. Doesn't have to be super powerful, but better than a RECCO tag would be adequate for most in bounds steep terrain folks. I mean they can add frequencies to your smart phone that turn it in to a universal remote control or 2 way talkie and other non phone frequency things. A beacon frequency pulse seems possible, maybe need an antenna to connect to the headphone or usb jack?
    I almost never ski inbounds with my phone on me, it stays at home or in the car. And cold weather wreaks havoc on many phones. I'll pass on trusting my life to an app.

oh yeah, I don't foresee any problems with this at all. forgot your beacon? "it's ok I have my phone, hang on lemme just close snapchat cuz otherwise it'll drain my battery," phone frozen, plugging in a delicate your-life-depends-on-it piece of hardware to the same jack that collects lint on your pocket, needing reception somehow for the app to run because the developer insists on delivering ads mid-search (click the balloon to reveal how far away your victim is buried!), surely this can all be ironed out.

Too many fundamental misunderstandings of how cell phones, avalanche beacons, and recco actually work to count.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    pack-on-lap, which fucking irks me.
    Pack in lap policy seems to create more clusterfuckery than it cures. IMO.

There's a new lifty at Crystal who has taken to yelling at people about it... he'll be lucky to make it through the season in one piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I'm wondering if wearing one on deep days is useful at all (other than for body recovery).
    Are you skiing in avalanche terrain? Then your beacon should be on you and on.

It's a rare day between November and June that I'm not wearing a beacon.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Woof. Super sad.

I have taken to wearing my beacon inbounds at Mammoth on pow days. Especially after the huge inbounds slide that came down last year. Props to the ski team as they are enabling us to buy refurbished beacons for the kids for cheap. Just put in my order for 3 for the mIni comish team.
    He who has the most fun wins!