Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do Want: My Next Truck?

This might be my next purchase...but only if I can get to Moab on a single charge.
    I know, fat chance with the first generation...

https://electrek.co/2019/01/16/ford-...-pickup-truck/

(bonus if I can rig up a solar charger while camping)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

unless public charging spots increase, seems like increase in EVs will start to clog up...

You got a bed to carry a gas genset!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    (bonus if I can rig up a solar charger while camping)
    It would probably take a RV-sized panel a week to charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It would probably take a RV-sized panel a week to charge it.
    Not a problem. Sorry, honey. Can't come back from Moab. The truck isn't charged yet.

300 mile range seems optimistic
    Does that including running the A/C and 4 adults each tipping the scales at 250 lbs each ?
    Nevermind trying carry a 1/2 ton of material.

Regardless

If you live in the right place with the infrastructure to charge it I think Ford is going to sell a lot of them.

I've been looking at them for the farm. Charge over night, and short distances during the day.

Gas stuff has so much electronic crap on them now, that nobody can work on them. Might as well just be electric.

Company in Upstate NY is trying to bring one to market that is actually more function than form. Proto looks like an old Land Rover.

All the others are building the same useless looking grocery getter POS's that we have now.

Somewhere sombody needs to built a pickup that will stand up to work again.

Quote Originally Posted by capulin overdrive View Post
    Company in Upstate NY is trying to bring one to market that is actually more function than form. Proto looks like an old Land Rover.
    found them: https://www.bollingermotors.com looks pretty cool

Yikes:

"614 Horsepower
    668 ft-lb Torque "

Yeah, this is actually pretty effin cool. I love how so many mainstream manufacturers are embracing electric drive trains now. Thanks Elon.

Now all we need is an AWD electric van like a Sprinter, Transit, etc. RV conversion FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    Yeah, this is actually pretty effin cool. I love how so many mainstream manufacturers are embracing electric drive trains now. Thanks Elon.

Now all we need is an AWD electric van like a Sprinter, Transit, etc. RV conversion FTW!
    #electricvanlife

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

Yup, that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    #electricvanlife

Is the Utah guys doing retro fits?

Their pickup is literally the only vehicle that excites my wife. She thinks it's the perfect mix of what we both like.

I love the looks, but in some ways I don't really buy the function over form argument. Seem like it's a group with limited ability to manufacture complex curves, but which will use that as a "style" to charge premium prices. They also don't seem to have the expertise to include airbags, so they're going without them and registering it as a commercial truck to avoid needing them.

So we shall see. I would love it if it was a function over form practical truck, but I suspect it's going to be a retro style toy for the rich.

They stay far away from talking about prices on their site , so we'll see. Not so sure about your other points though. Metal stamping isn't rocket science and there's a lot of companies that can do it so I see the look as more style than anything else, although eliminating that cost should help prices some. And you buy airbags, they could buy them too, but that adds money too. It seems like they're trying to build a no-frill, tough e-truck for a reasonable cost but time will tell on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Satch View Post
    300 mile range seems optimistic
    Does that including running the A/C and 4 adults each tipping the scales at 250 lbs each ?
    lol

I hope you're right. One early article I read put the B1 starting at 60k. But delivery was also supposed to be starting next month (this was 2017 I think). I haven't seen too many price points get lower as arrival gets pushed back.

I hope you're right though as I really like the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I hope you're right though as I really like the thing.
    Yeah I mean it's just my quick take on it, I could be dead wrong, we'll see what happens. I do like it too, I hope it works.

But say it's $60K. Is that a dealbreaker?

I remember like 5 years ago I had the tree guy over because of a wind storm that wrecked a bunch of shit. I've known this guy since he was a kid and he's like 40 now. He was bitching that everything he needs costs $75 grand. New truck, 75 grand. New stumpgrinder, 75 grand. New chipper, 75 grand. Is 60 grand too much to pay for a vehicle you like that you'll never have to put gas in and on which maintenance should be minimal? It's a question.

I remember like 5 years ago I had the tree guy over because of a wind storm that wrecked a bunch of shit. I've known this guy since he was a kid and he's like 40 now. He was bitching that everything he needs costs $75 grand. New truck, 75 grand. New stumpgrinder, 75 grand. New chipper, 75 grand. Is 60 grand too much to pay for a vehicle you like that you'll never have to put gas in and on which maintenance should be minimal? It's a question.
    Lariat gasser f150 is over 60k retail...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post

In that linked article they mention the Transit going electric.

And there is the $7500 tax credit.

The first generation may be overpriced because of the novelty of it though. It all comes down to the range, 200 is plenty for most people. 300 is more than enough. 400 would be awesome, and it's certainly would be big enough battery-wise (really I'm spitballing here) to have a decent range. It should sell well with 400 range and using the new chargers that are better than Tesla Superchargers...I forgot what they are called...

Dealers helped kill the Bolt by not stocking it or steering customers to other choices to buy. Dealers biz model will be kinda destroyed by cars that don't need maintenance. So I wonder if they will be eager to sell this thing. I'm sure many mens manliness will be questioned by salesmen in the future who try to buy an electric truck, ha.

For me, $60k for a new car is too much, though plenty of people drop that much these days.

VW claims that their ID platform cars will start at the same price as their diesels. They will print money if they can bring their ID Buzz minibus to market with a starting MSRP of $30k, optioned out fully with AWD for, say, $45k. #electricvanlife all day long.

The Ford F-series would be totally intriguing, though.

Plain Jane 4X4 extended cab Taco is 31 to 33k, so yeah 60k would be too much for a bunch of people.

No doubt 60K is way too rich for a lot of people. But the question is, is 60K too much for this vehicle? Can they sell them?

No doubt 60K is way too rich for a lot of people. But the question is, is 60K too much for this vehicle? Can they sell them?
    Considering the cult like following I bet they lease a ton of them.
    Buyers might take some time but I'm sure they will.