Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wow!! Incredible. Fueling the fire for our trip next year. Thanks for the time you spent to type this up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

epic TR. a dream trip for sure.

This is why I want to go to Japan. Wonderful story and beautifully told. Thanks.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Epic

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Easiest transit system in the world to navigate?!? You boys must be members of Mensa ferchrissake!

Massive win of a TR!
    Its was crazy intimidating at first, but once you get past that its incredibly stress-free and easy!

You done good dunfee, done good!

Easiest transit system in the world to navigate?!? You boys must be members of Mensa ferchrissake!

Massive win of a TR!
    Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy IMO. Not as easy / straightforward as Paris, though. There are definitely some extended stations that could have benefited from a few more routing signs.

Dunfee - it was fun following along on instagram while there at the same time. You've inspired me to put together a TR.

Well done Dunfee

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    Nicely done!
    I really wish i had taken more food photos on my trips (on all my trips tbh) but it was generally down my throat before had time to pull the phone out.

Did you wish you skied the last 3 days or stoked to be in Tokyo???
    I mean, everything was so photogenic there, you just HAD to take pics... food, cars, signs, everything.

Maybe I could have done 2 days in Tokyo instead of three, I get pretty tired of being on my feet on pavement all day pretty quick, but honestly I got 13 incredible back-to-back days, and I was pretty grateful for that and ready for a break from snowboarding for a second. It was also nice to have an extra day in Tokyo so I could sleep in one of the days and still have plenty of time to explore at a casual pace.

Glad everyone's enjoyed this, it was a hell of a trip!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Massive win of a TR!
    I think its pretty easy. everything is very well signed in English and all the staff are very helpful

Damn that was good! Time to get to work on my 20 page google docs set of notes!

Just finally stumbled upon this. Word. I want to go there and Kaiju my way around. Sick TR sir.

Well done report Dunfee, brought back great memories from a few years ago and some memories of events you were fortunate to avoid, specifically the evil spirits of Asahidake.

Broke my leg near the top of Asahidake. Returned to Hokkaido the following season with the same guides. On the drive up to Asahidake, the guide asked me to recount my Asahidake experience to the others in our group. On the first ropeway lap, a skier in my group crashed and blew his ACL. Lucky for us, the guides knew the way to the closest hospital with an MRI.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantManta View Post
    Damn that was good! Time to get to work on my 20 page google docs set of notes!
    Share that one.too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    Well done report Dunfee, brought back great memories from a few years ago and some memories of events you were fortunate to avoid, specifically the evil spirits of Asahidake.

Broke my leg near the top of Asahidake. Returned to Hokkaido the following season with the same guides. On the drive up to Asahidake, the guide asked me to recount my Asahidake experience to the others in our group. On the first ropeway lap, a skier in my group crashed and blew his ACL. Lucky for us, the guides knew the way to the closest hospital with an MRI.
    Damn I'm sorry to hear that! Did y'all have to self-evac? I know that was a concern riding up there...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Quote Originally Posted by WaistDeepGroomers View Post
    Damn I'm sorry to hear that! Did y'all have to self-evac? I know that was a concern riding up there...
    My group got me to the cat track and I was able to ski down putting most of my weight on one leg. Didn't learn my leg was broken until the next day at the second hospital we visited that showed a tibial plateau fracture on an MRI scan. No MRI machine at the first hospital we visited in the middle of nowhere and their x-ray did not show any fractures. Kudos to my guides who insisted we go to a second hospital with an MRI even though it was a big inconvenience for the rest of the group.

Wow! I should visit the TR forum more often.

Awesome trip WDG! Thanks for sharing. Did you bring two boards? Split and resort ride?

And...calling yourself an "intermediate"! I think you were around pro's too much at the village man. You most certainly are not an intermediate rider! The vids or faceshot after faceshot...damn!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Wow! I should visit the TR forum more often.

Awesome trip WDG! Thanks for sharing. Did you bring two boards? Split and resort ride?

And...calling yourself an "intermediate"! I think you were around pro's too much at the village man. You most certainly are not an intermediate rider! The vids or faceshot after faceshot...damn!
    Yeah, I brought my 157 Weston Backwoods splitboard, which i rode a slight majority of the time since it was a little damper for riding chop at speed, and my 147 Elevated Goldfish swallowtail board, which was a blast to ride at Teine. I think many Japanese ride bigger boards than 'Muricans typically would to carry speed over some of the benchy and/or flatter terrain.

Thanks for the props, though . Although I cut all the footage of me falling over at the bottom of almost every run or ski track out of the woods. Spent a lot of times on my hands and knees crawling out of waist-deep flats cuz I still suck at coming to a stop/planning for flat sections. Just give me an open fall line and I'm Jeremy Jones, though

Quote Originally Posted by Goniff View Post
    My group got me to the cat track and I was able to ski down putting most of my weight on one leg. Didn't learn my leg was broken until the next day at the second hospital we visited that showed a tibial plateau fracture on an MRI scan. No MRI machine at the first hospital we visited in the middle of nowhere and their x-ray did not show any fractures. Kudos to my guides who insisted we go to a second hospital with an MRI even though it was a big inconvenience for the rest of the group.
    Damn! Awesome case for having a guide. Glad you got it properly diagnosed!

fuckyeah!
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Wow, my desire to ski Japan just went up several factors.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Damn just saw this! If you're talking to a stranger from the internet over the phone one night and he asks if he can crash in your van for a few days in Japan, do it!

I was in that van for 3 months and those first few days with Dunfee were some of the best days all winter. cheers hombre!

Good post! Thanks!

Good post! Thanks!

Bump because Japan season is nigh, this TR is awesome and I missed it the first time.