Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Durable Touring Poles

Looking for some help on finding a pair of adjustable poles that are durable. Not too concerned with the weight of them just looking for ones that aren't subject to bending.

Black Diamond Traverse comes to mind.

If you really want durability, just go non-adjustable. Get some regular ski poles. Wrap some rubber mastic tape like Scotch 2228 or a Voile strap around the pole a foot or so below the grips to give you a bootpack grip option. Works better than any adjustable pole out there.

This is all assuming you're skiing, if you're split-boarding and need poles to collapse while you ride, then hopefully someone else will chime in with advice.
    It sucks to suck.

Bending > fracturing to me, at least minor instances are reversible, so I've avoided carbon. I have some older model BD trekking poles that have suffered through a lot of abuse so I'll second the BD rec. Traverse is probably good, but I prefer the 3-piece because the upper flicklock is a good secondary grip and they get small for stashing in favor of axe or bicycle or whatever. Non ski models don't come with powder baskets, but those are like $4 and freeride baskets are the good touring size anyway.

The BD aluminum ones (Traverse, Expedition 2) are nice, Expedition 2 has the lower grip built in which I think is sweet. Also BD sells the lowers, which seems to be the bit that breaks more, so you can replace them. I think the lowers are like $11 or something, and even if they're the "wrong year" they basically still fit. I got a newish Traverse lower for my old blue whippet, the markings are ~5cm off but it works fine.

The older BD flick locks were more durable, but less stiff. Buy some used ones with the AL tops and C bottoms. Or not. I like adjustable poles for the ski outs, maybe it's my skate-ski background?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Been using the Armada Carbon TL Adjustable for 3 seasons now, no issues to report. Better than the BD Traverses, lost two bottom sections in a month when the FlickLock opened by itself.

Can not recommend BD telescopic poles anymore. Two years old Expedition 3 poles (all black with yellow accents and long foam grips) are just keep breaking every other trip in a pretty unpredictable way (5 breakes per pair already, all at Flicklock slot). Easily fixable but ... Old (blue+silver) Expedition 3s are ~9 years old and cracked only once after heavy ski edge impact, all scratched, tungsten tips trashed, but still stands strong.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    The older BD flick locks were more durable, but less stiff. Buy some used ones with the AL tops and C bottoms. Or not. I like adjustable poles for the ski outs, maybe it's my skate-ski background?
    this ^^ with the aluminum upper/carbon lower, the aluminium is short doesnt seem to bend or break while the carbon lower is longer and flexes instead of breaking

I've seen more Flicklocks in the BC than any other adjustable pole

I always thot they flexed a little but gave some energy back

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5048-4...r-Carbon-Poles

they used to be called Flicklocks now they are called the Razor
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

yup done that, just rip them^^ out of the snow fence in the P-lot

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinSki View Post
    If you really want durability, just go non-adjustable. Get some regular ski poles. Wrap some rubber mastic tape like Scotch 2228 or a Voile strap around the pole a foot or so below the grips to give you a bootpack grip option. Works better than any adjustable pole out there.

This is all assuming you're skiing, if you're split-boarding and need poles to collapse while you ride, then hopefully someone else will chime in with advice.
    Thanks, yes I’m skiing. Sometimes I like to change length depending on the conditions or terrain I’m skiing.

The current metal BD Flicklocks from the last few years seem pretty damn stout, as least compared to the prior plastic clamps.

Just get a lurk!

(or BD traverse....)

Black Diamond Traverse or Leki Haute Route . . .

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I also have done well with the aluminum top, carbon lower. I used to go through at least one aluminum lower a year. I avoided the carbon, because, as mentioned earlier, they either work, or snap- as opposed to aluminum which can be unbent and used for a while.
    I am tough on poles. I often use them to help get up after falling- a regular occurrence. And, I really depend on them for jump turns. But, I a m pretty sure I have 3 seasons or so on my carbon lowers- still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by djenns13@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks, yes I’m skiing. Sometimes I like to change length depending on the conditions or terrain I’m skiing.
    Not to dissuade you, but the point of adding grip as in Dolphinski's approach is that choking up/down on the long grip allows (lighter) poles to change length with less fiddling so you can do it multiple times in a run or even between turns.

G3 Via - great locking mechanism and very durable. Going on 2.5 seasons now and I haven't broken them yet... just a little bent.

My mileage only, but have had great success with BD carbon poles. The fliplock is mediocre, but if I remember to glove it shut before skiing down it holds. Just broke a tip, my fault, really dumb mistake, and the replacement part was $8.95. I think they're six years old. Lots of vert and trips and abuse.

Another vote for the Black Diamond Razor carbon poles. Work at a heliski company and we use em in the rental fleet. Can't have a better test of strength and durability. Over the course of the last four seasons or so, only a few breakages of the lowers due to extreme user error in a fleet of +/- 80 pairs of poles. Flicklock system proved effective and durable as well...just have to periodically double check tension and adjust appropriately. IME,imo; they seem to require just a hair bit more tension than what is set at the factory. Only issue has been the occasional lost lower due to flicklock flicking open if not fully closed...suspect due to the edge catching the helibasket/other skis during ski bundle loading/unloading procedure. Preventative solution is to add an external elastic fabric sleeve.

We did have a few adjustable full alu models in the fleet but they didn't prove as durable as the carbon lowered Razors. Bottoms bent occasionally. With careful technique, they could generally be bent back 'close to straight' to resume functionality but of course this is not optimal.
    Master of mediocrity.

You folks talking about the carbon BD poles -- are these the ones you're referring to ("Razor Carbon")? http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...g.html#start=8

I have some older BD compactor poles. They are slightly bent, and I think I want a fully-adjustable 3-piece pole for a big hut-to-hut trip.

Some people break poles, some people don't. I've got a pair on BD alu whatevers with probably 250 days and a pair of G3s with about 50. Both are durable and functional. I'm a no strap guy on all but the longest tours so I like the G3 grip. The BCAs look pretty sweet.

Side note: The G3s are fairly obviously designed around the ION. The grip works perfectly for both the toe lock an the Van Halen.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    You folks talking about the carbon BD poles -- are these the ones you're referring to ("Razor Carbon")? http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...g.html#start=8

I have some older BD compactor poles. They are slightly bent, and I think I want a fully-adjustable 3-piece pole for a big hut-to-hut trip.
    Yup, Razor Carbon or Razor Carbon Pro.
    Master of mediocrity.

yes those ^^ are the aluminium/carbon 2 piece that BC skiers have been using for years

if you got bent BD Compacters they could be the 3 piece aluminium Z poles

or 3 piece CF Z poles (don't know anything about these )

Carbon fibre flexes in situations where aluminium will bend and stay bent

I really love my DPS Nori poles and I've put them through the wringer.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

1 vote for the Black Diamond "Boundary Probe" pole: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...11538_cfg.html

Price $120 (same as Razor) but if you separate the poles, the lowers screw together into a probe. I've tested it and it works ok. no replacement for a real probe tho

Both have aluminum upper, carbon lower, but:

I like the grips better than the Razor
    I like that the upper is 16mm + lower 14mm vs. 14mm + 12mm of Razor
    I like that it is only 20g (1oz) heavier
    Both have tacky texture on aluminum upper
    I like the Flick Lock Pro over the regular Flick Lock on the Razor (flick lock pro only on Razor Pro)
    Last edited by margotron; 01-17-2019 at 01:53 PM.