Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Trial 1 of my vipec to xenic adapter is complete. It should be fairly obvious this is a rough go from the pics
    I used 3/16" aluminum. This will obviously raise the toe height but also gives enough purchase for the binding to screw into. I'm not sure I would use plastic. This weighs a bit (I don't have a scale) but maybe 1/8" aluminum with "speed holes" could be used. Here's the part numbers from McMaster Carr I used, minus the M5x10mm flathead screws used to mount the plate to the ski. I also used a 3/16" drill bit and 1/2" counter sink (not the right size but what I had on hand...) to drill the plate-ski holes. I'm happy to provide any measurements. On thing I would change is have the plate extend a little farther forward, part of the xenics are hanging of the plate right now. If I can get my hands on a real workbench and tools I will try and make a V2. Hopefully others with more skills can build some really cool adapters off of this.

8975K421 = metal
    94017A304 = Screws for binding into metal plate
    26475A38 = Tap for binding screws
    2958A74 = drill bit for binding screws.

Pics!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191127_154048.jpg 
Views:	426 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	304282

Name:	IMG_20191130_103044.jpg 
Views:	425 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	304283

Name:	IMG_20191130_103558.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	304284

Name:	IMG_20191130_103758.jpg 
Views:	433 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	304285

Name:	IMG_20191130_103902.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	304286

Name:	IMG_20191130_105533.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	983.0 KB 
ID:	304288

Nice work. So the Xenic housing doesn't overlap the front Vipec screws?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Nice work. So the Xenic housing doesn't overlap the front Vipec screws?
    Thanks! If mounted at 1.5cm back (so the pins/boot center remain the same) the xenic housing will clear the front screws depending on the size of the screw head. The back screws will interfere with the crampon mounts at that location so you will either have to countersink with flatheads like I did or pop off the metal crampon attachment point.

Anybody have a template for mounting these? Looked through the pages and couldn’t find anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SethSwallen View Post
    Anybody have a template for mounting these? Looked through the pages and couldn’t find anything.
    Wildsnow has one https://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry...ate-1-2019.pdf

Well I managed to break the 'frontal fall' piece on the toe this weekend. I think it broke when I did a lunge to adjust the tail clip of one of my skins on the way back to the car but I didn't notice until the end of the day. It also too a lot of force to get the toe to release - I was worried the lever was going to break, but eventually it released.

The lever was also pretty tough to flip into walk mode - way more than I'm used to on Dynafits. It was a pretty cold day (around -12C) so they might have been icing up. Has anyone noticed the lever is super stiff?

Time to see if they'll replace it under warranty...
    Last edited by billyhoyle; 12-05-2019 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Well I managed to break the 'frontal fall' piece on the toe this weekend.
    Sorry man, that sucks. Do you mean the little red insert piece, or the black piece that sits above it?

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Sorry man, that sucks. Do you mean the little red insert piece, or the black piece that sits above it?
    The black piece that's supposed to trigger a release in the event of a knee fall while skinning...I'll get a pic when I get home from work tonight.

That would totally work, but I don't think there's anywhere to loop paracord...the channel under the toe just fits a 1/16" wire. Is webbing smaller diameter than paracord? Sorry, not familiar with it. If so that would work.
    Using small diameter dyneema cord is a good way to go about it for max weight savings with no compromise in strength. I use a small diameter single braided loop that goes through the tongue latch on my Atomic Backlands for connection leashes. You can even save 50 grams on a pair of Backlands by replacing the forefoot steel cable & bail with just 5/64's braided dyneema. Fiddle factor is way higher though...

There are two options I've used 1/16's "spider line" and the single braid 5/64's would probably still fit in that channel. If you're swapping it from ski to ski putting some duct tape to hold the loop to the binding erases any headaches. The dynemma cord is also great for repair kits since it weights next to nothing and is going to be able to lash anything down/ together.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

The black piece that's supposed to trigger a release in the event of a knee fall while skinning...I'll get a pic when I get home from work tonight.
    Name:  20191202_205537.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  20191202_205537.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  77.0 KB
    Jeez man, I'm sorry. Here's hoping that Fritschi comes thru with their warranty.

Jeez man, I'm sorry. Here's hoping that Fritschi comes thru with their warranty.
    I've started the process...I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit: Black Diamond got back to me super quickly - they'll ship me a new set of bindings after I send my current Xenics to them.
    Last edited by billyhoyle; 12-06-2019 at 02:28 PM.

I've started the process...I'll let you know how it goes!

Edit: Black Diamond got back to me super quickly - they'll ship me a new set of bindings after I send my current Xenics to them.
    Glad they got you taken care of - they're usually pretty good about stuff like that. Really makes me lose confidence in the binding, though.

On another note, has anyone figured out Vipec/Xenic adaptor plates? I'm still interested and willing to pay a premium to get them - solves a very meaningful problem in my quiver in an elegant way.

Glad they got you taken care of - they're usually pretty good about stuff like that. Really makes me lose confidence in the binding, though.

On another note, has anyone figured out Vipec/Xenic adaptor plates? I'm still interested and willing to pay a premium to get them - solves a very meaningful problem in my quiver in an elegant way.
    I could make you one for cost of shipping if I can find some scraps. PM me

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app