Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Yup, I drilled the toe holes in the UHMW (passed the screws through the assembly) before tracing the outline, and finally, cutting.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

.Your best bet is to hook up with a local maggot who has the few necessary tools - bring beer and a sacrificial sanding belt of the right size, and get mentored. You'll be put to work. Trimming them to look tidy is thankless work. UHMW clogs up sanding belts.

I use a jig saw with a fairly fine tooth blade, and a belt sander to clean things up l. Use a cleaning stick frequently, as the plastic quickly clogs the belt.

For those who live in a decent size town, look up a plastic fabrication shop. Odds are that they'll let you rummage through their scrap bin for some free UHMW.
    Rad, thanks for the advice Thom.

If there's anyone in SLC who has the skills/tools necessary, I'd love to learn. I can supply all necessary tools, plastic, and libations.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Rad, thanks for the advice Thom.

If there's anyone in SLC who has the skills/tools necessary, I'd love to learn. I can supply all necessary tools, plastic, and libations.
    U-bet! Here's a plastic shop in SLC:
    https://www.polymershapes.com/group/...-polyethylene/

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    I did the 4mm cutting board shim. 20g a piece. If you find a 3D printer or a skilled shim maker, I’d cover materials for us.
    Catching up on this thread... Xenic coming to me form my Mythics. Is the ramp bad, and is that why people are shimming the binding?

Oh, also... I am getting those for some Dynastar Mythic 97. Can I get away with 95 mm brakes/crampons? I called a French shop and they say I should go 105 mm with the brakes. Those don't bend well? What about the crampons? Those numbers typically have some room built in.

It’s not bad, just not flat

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I picked up a pair, seem nice. Still need brakes, this is going on a 95mm ski so what size brake should I get? Will 85 work given the comically-wrong historic sizing of Fritschi brakes?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Leashes.

Always seems silly to me people want lightweight bindings but still put the dead weight of brakes on them
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    Leashes.

Always seems silly to me people want lightweight bindings but still put the dead weight of brakes on them
    Personal preference thing - some people don't like fiddling with leashes. Light bindings with brakes are lighter than heavier bindings with brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    Personal preference thing - some people don't like fiddling with leashes.
    I totally get that, but if you know what you're doing on transitions it only adds about 10 seconds to a transition at the bottom of a skin.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

I've used both and brakes are just more convenient ...YMMV
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I totally get that, but if you know what you're doing on transitions it only adds about 10 seconds to a transition at the bottom of a skin.
    Or less time if you're running B&D leashes - time saved, not having to park/release the brake, combined with not having to disconnect your leashes all day.

Either way, it's not a big deal.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Or less time if you're running B&D leashes - time saved, not having to park/release the brake, combined with not having to disconnect your leashes all day.

Either way, it's not a big deal.

... Thom
    Plus B&D leashes have the breakaway plastic bits, which IMO is a real safety benefit. After using B&D, I never want to go back to either brakes or traditional leashes.

Leashes.

I have skis with and without brakes, I want brakes for this setup but thanks for the opinion. That said, what size brakes should I get for some ZG95s? Do I need 95s or are the 85s as oversized as everything else Fritschi makes?
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

No brakes, no leashes, pre release. Runaway ski starting with glide ending with a few tomahawks into a crevasse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-09-28-21h38m24s352.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	779.6 KB 
ID:	303275
    Master of mediocrity.

Fuck! Did you get it back?

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

The brakes for the Xenic are the same ( over) sized as Tecton and Evo. They're also.the same as some generation Diarmir.

Buy narrower and bend if necessary

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Fuck! Did you get it back?

Sure did. Two poles attached end to end and extended to max. Hooked handle strap around binding heel piece and baby'd it out. Another good reason to replace floppy, limp fabric straps...the rubber ski straps hold their open form factor a bit better for rescuing skis from crevasses.

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-09-28-21h39m26s451.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	303301
    Master of mediocrity.

Ha tech tip of the day. Realed in a good catch. Wouldve sucked to lose the new gear

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Sure did. Two poles attached end to end and extended to max. Hooked handle strap around binding heel piece and baby'd it out. Another good reason to replace floppy, limp fabric straps...the rubber ski straps hold their open form factor a bit better for rescuing skis from crevasses.

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-09-28-21h39m26s451.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	277.5 KB 
ID:	303301
    Good one! And if you have wimpy straps, y'all carry a few Voile straps with ya ... right?

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Good one! And if you have wimpy straps, y'all carry a few Voile straps with ya ... right?

... Thom
    I keep using those voile straps more and more. Still carry my cmh straps out of habit as well. 2 voile's and 2 cmh's(longer and shorter of each) give a lot of fix it options. Voiles are great for strapping tubes/tools onto the bike as well. Good value

I'll use leashes in the backcountry but want brakes when I travel and the ski may end up being used in resort. Speaking of leashes, do you need to do your own rigging so your skis will not stay as anchors to your feet in an avalanche? (Anti-jinx inserted here.)

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    The brakes for the Xenic are the same ( over) sized as Tecton and Evo. They're also.the same as some generation Diarmir.

Buy narrower and bend if necessary
    Would an 85 fit a Mythic 97 or should I do 95? A retailer told me to do 105... What about the crampons?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I keep using those voile straps more and more. Still carry my cmh straps out of habit as well. 2 voile's and 2 cmh's(longer and shorter of each) give a lot of fix it options. Voiles are great for strapping tubes/tools onto the bike as well. Good value

Was just thinkin'; wonder if there's a thread about the king of ski straps. Yup, there is. Bumped the "many uses for a voile strap" thread. Now i'm wondrin'...will the number of different uses get to four digits?
    Master of mediocrity.

Regarding talk of leashes vs. brakes...liabilities for both. IMO, the biggest elephant in the room issue with brakes on skis used for real backcountry conditions is that they generally don't do diddly shit to stop a runaway ski in a lot of snow conditions. They're great for stabilizing a ski on hard snow to make it easier to step into 'em at a ski touring transition or heli drop but that's about it. My latest runaway ski debacle got me thinkin' about a brake system that might actually do real work attached to fatties slayin' pow...got some ideas. Teaser; think Canada Arm on the space shuttle.
    Master of mediocrity.