Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
Results 276 to 288 of 288
  1. #276
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    365
    Well the brakes work!

  2. #277
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,490
    Finally did some measuring, if you mount the Xenic using the front two inserts for a Vipec mount, the Xenic pin line is 16mm ahead of the Vipec.

    A Vipec pattern to Xenic adapter is doable, but you'd have to countersink the top of a 3/16" aluminum plate and use flathead screws to attach the plate to the ski if you want to use the crampon mount. You'd also have to countersink the underside of the plate for flathead screws to attach the Xenic, and use 5mm washers and nuts on top of the Xenic. You could gamble with threading the plate to attach the Xenic to the plate, but 3/16" (4.75mm) of thread isn't much - no thanks. (As I recall, Binding Freedom plates were 7mm.) You'd also have to drop the front two ski attachment screws through the plate prior to installing the Xenic on the plate, prior to installing the whole assembly on the ski. There's not enough clearance on either side of the lever stem to drop in screws after the Xenic is attached to the plate, and grinding off any plastic looks like a bad idea.

    If you want less ramp than the Tecton, you could use 1/4" plate. If you used a plastic plate, you could use shortened ski screws to attach the Xenic to the plate and get more bite than M5 threads. The Vipec pattern isn't much bigger than the Xenic pattern, so plate flexing would probably be minimal. You'd still have to countersink the holes that attach the plate to the ski and use flathead screws, at least the front two holes. If you don't use the crampon adapter, you could use socket cap or button head screws on the back of the plate without countersinking.

  3. #278
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Finally did some measuring, if you mount the Xenic using the front two inserts for a Vipec mount, the Xenic pin line is 16mm ahead of the Vipec
    Are you saying that neither pair of Vipec/Tecton toe holes will position the Xenic pins in the same spot? I thought I read that using the rear pair will do so. Perhaps you're just referring to a sneaky way of resolving a hole conflict?

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  4. #279
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,490
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Are you saying that neither pair of Vipec/Tecton toe holes will position the Xenic pins in the same spot? I thought I read that using the rear pair will do so. Perhaps you're just referring to a sneaky way of resolving a hole conflict?

    ... Thom
    Yep. Can't use the rear inserts for Vipec toes, they're 40mm apart while the Xenic pattern is 44mm wide. You can reuse the front inserts for Vipec for the front Xenic screws (and add new inserts for the Xenic rear screws), if you don't mind your Xenic mount being 16mm forward compared to the Vipec mount.

  5. #280
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    708
    Heard from a friend who broke two xenic toe pieces. I'm assuming it's the lever but I will get more details from him and his opinion on the what and why.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  6. #281
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,429
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Yep. Can't use the rear inserts for Vipec toes, they're 40mm apart while the Xenic pattern is 44mm wide. You can reuse the front inserts for Vipec for the front Xenic screws (and add new inserts for the Xenic rear screws), if you don't mind your Xenic mount being 16mm forward compared to the Vipec mount.
    Thanks. I had been looking at this as only 2 extra holes for the conversion.

    I'm pretty stubborn about mount points ;-)

    It looks as if I do a combo shim/adapter plate if I decide to try Xenics on an existing Vipec mount.

    If my machinist could deliver before mud season, I'd consider wrangling a collaborative build of a small batch, but he's been known to slip terribly on delivery dates (as in by months).

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-23-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  7. #282
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks. I had been looking at this as only 2 extra holes for the conversion.

    I'm pretty stubborn about mount points ;-)

    It looks as if I do a combo shim/adapter plate if I decide to try Xenics on an existing Vipec mount.

    If my machinist could deliver before mud season, I'd consider wrangling a collaborative build of a small batch, but he's been known to slip terribly on delivery dates (as in by months).

    ... Thom
    A group order would be very cool. I would be in for a pair or two if you go through with it.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  8. #283
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    1,296
    so far i like mine. skis great. the toe lever is stiff and annoying.
    The Charmed app lets you tinder for your friends

  9. #284
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,432
    Nothing earth-shattering in here but the review - 20+ days. I've asked BD/Fritschi about the toe lever and why it's so stiff https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...binding-review

  10. #285
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    175
    Thanks for the great review, LeeLau. I'd be curious to see a shoot-out between these and other sub-300g binders.

  11. #286
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Heard from a friend who broke two xenic toe pieces. I'm assuming it's the lever but I will get more details from him and his opinion on the what and why.
    He reported that the ski to tour engagement mechanism seemed to be the problem. Warranty replacements from BD were different/improved. Not sure how unless there was an actual production change?

    Sorry this info is so second hand. I've been waiting to discuss and see this in person before I get a pair.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

  12. #287
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,490
    In case anyone was wondering, looks like 95mm Xenic crampons will just clear Mantra V-Werks. There are ribs on the inner sides of the crampon that hit the top of the sidewall before the middle of the crampon hits the topsheet, but I don't think your boot pushes the crampon down that far, so it should be fine. Haven't mounted the binding yet, so this is just playing with it.

  13. #288
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    10,000'
    Posts
    324
    Mine are ordered and should be here this week! My only concern is how they’ll stand up to “aggressive skiing”.. But I am just a little guy 5’7” 160lbs.. I think they should be ok.
    I’m not aggressive by some people’s standards, but I like to drop cliffs and pillow lines, and spin off lips and huck small (less than 15’) backcountry cliffs and inbounds cornices.

    I’ll know soon enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •