Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Well the brakes work!

Finally did some measuring, if you mount the Xenic using the front two inserts for a Vipec mount, the Xenic pin line is 16mm ahead of the Vipec.

A Vipec pattern to Xenic adapter is doable, but you'd have to countersink the top of a 3/16" aluminum plate and use flathead screws to attach the plate to the ski if you want to use the crampon mount. You'd also have to countersink the underside of the plate for flathead screws to attach the Xenic, and use 5mm washers and nuts on top of the Xenic. You could gamble with threading the plate to attach the Xenic to the plate, but 3/16" (4.75mm) of thread isn't much - no thanks. (As I recall, Binding Freedom plates were 7mm.) You'd also have to drop the front two ski attachment screws through the plate prior to installing the Xenic on the plate, prior to installing the whole assembly on the ski. There's not enough clearance on either side of the lever stem to drop in screws after the Xenic is attached to the plate, and grinding off any plastic looks like a bad idea.

If you want less ramp than the Tecton, you could use 1/4" plate. If you used a plastic plate, you could use shortened ski screws to attach the Xenic to the plate and get more bite than M5 threads. The Vipec pattern isn't much bigger than the Xenic pattern, so plate flexing would probably be minimal. You'd still have to countersink the holes that attach the plate to the ski and use flathead screws, at least the front two holes. If you don't use the crampon adapter, you could use socket cap or button head screws on the back of the plate without countersinking.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Finally did some measuring, if you mount the Xenic using the front two inserts for a Vipec mount, the Xenic pin line is 16mm ahead of the Vipec
    Are you saying that neither pair of Vipec/Tecton toe holes will position the Xenic pins in the same spot? I thought I read that using the rear pair will do so. Perhaps you're just referring to a sneaky way of resolving a hole conflict?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Are you saying that neither pair of Vipec/Tecton toe holes will position the Xenic pins in the same spot? I thought I read that using the rear pair will do so. Perhaps you're just referring to a sneaky way of resolving a hole conflict?

... Thom
    Yep. Can't use the rear inserts for Vipec toes, they're 40mm apart while the Xenic pattern is 44mm wide. You can reuse the front inserts for Vipec for the front Xenic screws (and add new inserts for the Xenic rear screws), if you don't mind your Xenic mount being 16mm forward compared to the Vipec mount.

Heard from a friend who broke two xenic toe pieces. I'm assuming it's the lever but I will get more details from him and his opinion on the what and why.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Yep. Can't use the rear inserts for Vipec toes, they're 40mm apart while the Xenic pattern is 44mm wide. You can reuse the front inserts for Vipec for the front Xenic screws (and add new inserts for the Xenic rear screws), if you don't mind your Xenic mount being 16mm forward compared to the Vipec mount.
    Thanks. I had been looking at this as only 2 extra holes for the conversion.

I'm pretty stubborn about mount points ;-)

It looks as if I do a combo shim/adapter plate if I decide to try Xenics on an existing Vipec mount.

If my machinist could deliver before mud season, I'd consider wrangling a collaborative build of a small batch, but he's been known to slip terribly on delivery dates (as in by months).

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-23-2020 at 09:53 PM.
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Thanks. I had been looking at this as only 2 extra holes for the conversion.

I'm pretty stubborn about mount points ;-)

It looks as if I do a combo shim/adapter plate if I decide to try Xenics on an existing Vipec mount.

If my machinist could deliver before mud season, I'd consider wrangling a collaborative build of a small batch, but he's been known to slip terribly on delivery dates (as in by months).

... Thom
    A group order would be very cool. I would be in for a pair or two if you go through with it.

so far i like mine. skis great. the toe lever is stiff and annoying.

Nothing earth-shattering in here but the review - 20+ days. I've asked BD/Fritschi about the toe lever and why it's so stiff https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...binding-review

Thanks for the great review, LeeLau. I'd be curious to see a shoot-out between these and other sub-300g binders.

Quote Originally Posted by steveski View Post
    Heard from a friend who broke two xenic toe pieces. I'm assuming it's the lever but I will get more details from him and his opinion on the what and why.
    He reported that the ski to tour engagement mechanism seemed to be the problem. Warranty replacements from BD were different/improved. Not sure how unless there was an actual production change?

Sorry this info is so second hand. I've been waiting to discuss and see this in person before I get a pair.

In case anyone was wondering, looks like 95mm Xenic crampons will just clear Mantra V-Werks. There are ribs on the inner sides of the crampon that hit the top of the sidewall before the middle of the crampon hits the topsheet, but I don't think your boot pushes the crampon down that far, so it should be fine. Haven't mounted the binding yet, so this is just playing with it.

Mine are ordered and should be here this week! My only concern is how they’ll stand up to “aggressive skiing”.. But I am just a little guy 5’7” 160lbs.. I think they should be ok.
    I’m not aggressive by some people’s standards, but I like to drop cliffs and pillow lines, and spin off lips and huck small (less than 15’) backcountry cliffs and inbounds cornices.

I’ll know soon enough.

I just got back in from a much-shorter-than-planned day thanks to a broken toepiece. It was my second day out on them. Hopefully the revised version doesn't require a breaker bar to lock out the toes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-02-29.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	599.2 KB 
ID:	318051

A guy skiing by when I was dealing with this told me to go get the Kingpin. I couldn't really say anything since he actually had two functioning bindings at the time.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

I picked up a pair from snowinn. Hoping i have a revised pair. They seem to lock the toes out without much force. Maybe its my boot(vulcan) but the boots are still in pretty good shape. Hopefully it means fritschi has dealt with the issue and everyone will just get a new proper toe. I first heard of the issue after i placed my order, go figure, and was and still am concerned/fingers crossed

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

How can you tell the difference between the 1st and 2nd gen toes?

I have no idea if its even a thing. Has it been confirmed there actually are new toes? Maybe the manufacturing tolerances are a little loose? Maybe mine just fine with vulcans(some boots seem to be a bit different spacing for the inserts)? I just had a , tentative, sigh of relief when mine locked out reasonably ez. What id consider a normal amount of tourque to lock the toe out

Mine function normally at room temp, just tried on the not-broken toe with both Alien RS and Atomic Hawx. Cold in the field they’re almost impossible to lock out.

Interesting. Im not sure ill get another cold day chance to test that. It was a cold smoke day when i used mine(just the one day on them so far). Low density pow and on the north facing pitch all day in the shadows. Not super cold . Id say -7 or -8C

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    Mine function normally at room temp, just tried on the not-broken toe with both Alien RS and Atomic Hawx. Cold in the field they’re almost impossible to lock out.
    Cold in the field I can't lock them out by using my fingers. I have to heave on them with the butt end of my pole

I found I have to completely clear the tech fittings on the boots of even the tiniest amount of snow or ice (I use a pointy knife). If I do I can switch to tour with a normal amount of force. If I don't clear them out I've had to lever it up with a ski pole.

Quote Originally Posted by slowk View Post
    I found I have to completely clear the tech fittings on the boots of even the tiniest amount of snow or ice (I use a pointy knife). If I do I can switch to tour with a normal amount of force. If I don't clear them out I've had to lever it up with a ski pole.
    Doesn't the normal technique of pivoting 7 or 8 times after clicking in clear the fittings?
    Galibier Design

I pivot the boot 3 times then in just out of habit. Iooking at the pins now i dont see any snow clearing ledge but maybe it still has a bit of clearing effect

I never looked at my Vipecs. The pins don't have a clearing "slot" in the either.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

You'd think they'd have it. Its a zero cost effective feature