Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    I got the new toes today, I think the little plastic piece that says “ski” on top seems to be lower, so the lever is already clear of it when you’re at ski mode, and doesn’t have to push past it going to walk. I wish I had the old ones to compare better but it looks like these will work better.

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    It took 2.5 weeks for BD to get back to me but once they did I had new toes coming my way in under 24 hours.
    About the same lag time, 2.5 weeks to process the warranty request.

Two pairs of new toes are in the mail at present. Fingers crossed they work better than the originals.

I got the new toes today, I think the little plastic piece that says “ski” on top seems to be lower, so the lever is already clear of it when you’re at ski mode, and doesn’t have to push past it going to walk. I wish I had the old ones to compare better but it looks like these will work better.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    About the same lag time, 2.5 weeks to process the warranty request.

Two pairs of new toes are in the mail at present. Fingers crossed they work better than the originals.
    What website did you use to start the warranty? I'm gonna do the same.

Follow-ups:

1/ Did you select "Fristchi" warranty (from the Pieps or Fristchi option?)
    2/ What "Item Category" did you select? I can't find bindings or anything

Thanks. Majorly.

Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    What website did you use to start the warranty? I'm gonna do the same.

Follow-ups:

1/ Did you select "Fristchi" warranty (from the Pieps or Fristchi option?)
    2/ What "Item Category" did you select? I can't find bindings or anything

Thanks. Majorly.
    Nevermind these. I submitted a claim, we'll see what they say...

did you send in the old toes first? I submitted my warranty claim, but with all the Pieps stuff, am wondering if they'll ever get to me...

did you send in the old toes first? I submitted my warranty claim, but with all the Pieps stuff, am wondering if they'll ever get to me...
    Yes I did the online BD warranty form. I mailed the old toes at the same time they sent the new ones.

I decided to sell the Xenics so didn’t/won’t get a chance to see how the new toes work. Got some Helio 200s, which have pretty challenging (but workable) hole conflicts with the Xenic.

Does everyone have the toe issue, or is it boot dependent? I've got two new pair of Xenics, wondering if the toes need to be replaced or just try them first and maybe they'll work okay.

Sept 22 edit: You can update older toes with revised levers: Fritschi Art.-Nr.: 003921, “Easy Switch Toe Set”
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-25-2022 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Does everyone have the toe issue, or is it boot dependent? I've got two new pair of Xenics, wondering if the toes need to be replaced or just try them first and maybe they'll work okay.
    I had the sticky toe issue with my pair , which was a test pair sent for media .. so among the first run.

They've loosened up somewhat over 30+ days of use so they're not bad. Ie they need force to engage but certainly not as much as others have described. What I did to improve them was to lube in silicon spray and cycle them multiple times.

They've had the tightness issue with Vulcans, Tecnica ZGTP, Atomic Hawx

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    I had the sticky toe issue with my pair , which was a test pair sent for media .. so among the first run.

They've loosened up somewhat over 30+ days of use so they're not bad. Ie they need force to engage but certainly not as much as others have described. What I did to improve them was to lube in silicon spray and cycle them multiple times.

They've had the tightness issue with Vulcans, Tecnica ZGTP, Atomic Hawx
    I have new toes arriving tomorrow. Will do a short review. Hoping this ends the toe issue and can make the Xenic a pretty compelling option. I like the tech it brings and I value the smooth ride it provides. Something rubs me the wrong way about alpinists/MTNs/Zeds. May change mind on alpinist, wife got those this year. ATKs look dope ofc

To whoever asked about shimming - I shimmed, and I think it is in this thread. Maybe in the 300g binding thread. Worked a trick. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    They've loosened up somewhat over 30+ days of use so they're not bad.
    LeeLau, you still testing them, or plain skiing them? Curious how you compare them to other bindings in the 300g class (MTN/Zed/Alpinist)

Oops. Last Q and the reason I opened this thread: Anyone know if the Vipec crampons are the same as the Xenic crampons?

Oops. Last Q and the reason I opened this thread: Anyone know if the Vipec crampons are the same as the Xenic crampons?
    They are not. However I think there's some cross compatibility between xenics and other brands. I can confirm the xenic crampons fit my ATKs.

Got my two pairs of Xenic replacement toes. Carpet testing makes it seem as if the ski/walk lever is much easier to actuate. We will see how they do on snow later in the season.

LeeLau, you still testing them, or plain skiing them? Curious how you compare them to other bindings in the 300g class (MTN/Zed/Alpinist)
    Just skiing. They work fine. I've seen too many Zed heels blow up to bother asking to test them

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    They are not. However I think there's some cross compatibility between xenics and other brands. I can confirm the xenic crampons fit my ATKs.
    Much as folks might not like the lack of compatibility with Vipec/Tecton crampons, those are heavy muthas. The fellow who buys Xenics would hate them.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Much as folks might not like the lack of compatibility with Vipec/Tecton crampons, those are heavy muthas. The fellow who buys Xenics would hate them.

... Thom
    I wish my Vipecs and Tectons had dynafit style crampons. The spring loaded arms, mounting point, and weight suck.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    I wish my Vipecs and Tectons had dynafit style crampons. The spring loaded arms, mounting point, and weight suck.
    No arguments from me. The only up side is that my Vipecs are no longer on skis where I'm likely to bring my crampons.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Seems like the Vipec/Tecton crampons could be lightened up with some strategic "speed holes". They'd still be heavy, but not quite as bad.

Seems like the Vipec/Tecton crampons could be lightened up with some strategic "speed holes". They'd still be heavy, but not quite as bad.
    Yeah you could definitely do that. I'm sure the lack of more cutouts has more to do with manufacturing cost rather than strength. Honestly my biggest gripe is the attachment method. The holes have to be pretty damn clean over any snow to work.

They also don't have a convenient way to loop a carabiner through
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    They also don't have a convenient way to loop a carabiner through
    The dynafit/ xenic or the Vipec? Cause this is how I hip carry my vipec crampons. 'Biner is Metolious FS Mini (not worth the effort to rotate that)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto_no_exif (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	948.2 KB 
ID:	353425
    Last edited by NorCalNomad; 12-17-2020 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalNomad View Post
    The dynafit/ xenic or the Vipec? Cause this is how I hip carry my vipec crampons. 'Biner is Metolious FS Mini (not worth the effort to rotate that)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foto_no_exif (1).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	948.2 KB 
ID:	353425
    Vipec/Tecton, they're not as convenient as dynafit.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

I have a 98mm and 104mm ski. Figured the 110mm crampon. That groovy for the 98mm ski?

I have a 98mm and 104mm ski. Figured the 110mm crampon. That groovy for the 98mm ski?
    @doebedoe to the white courtesy phone.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I used the 110mm crampon on 94 waist skis and survived.