Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 276
  1. #201
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    322
    Well, I did a test mount of my Xenics last night and discovered that BD only sent me one brake. Sigh. Still did a test mount on a 2x4 and played around with them a bit (super straight forward mount...4 in the toe, 4 in the heel plate. Done) and they have some positives. Super easy to click into the toe! Hit that red bumper, step down and BAM, you're in. The heel piece is pretty challenging to rotate though...it was easy with the release set to 4, but took quite a bit of effort with it set to 9. Has anyone tried to get a pole in the heel somewhere to rotate the heel piece?

    On the subject of leashes, is there a good spot on the toe to attach one? Their marketing lingo says yes, but I took a quick look last night and didn't really see one.

  2. #202
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by billyhoyle View Post
    On the subject of leashes, is there a good spot on the toe to attach one? Their marketing lingo says yes, but I took a quick look last night and didn't really see one.
    Iím pretty sure thereís a small metal bracket that you mount under the toe for leash attachment.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,416
    There's a little channel on the underside of the toe piece around each front screw hole, which is where you place a loop of wire (that comes with the Fritschi leashes) when screwing the toe piece to the ski. The leash attached to the loop of wire.

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    There's a little channel on the underside of the toe piece around each front screw hole, which is where you place a loop of wire (that comes with the Fritschi leashes) when screwing the toe piece to the ski. The leash attached to the loop of wire.
    Ahhh I see it now, thanks. That's pretty clever!

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,295
    I called skimo this week, asking about the cable in question. The weren't familiar with it (it's not on their binding parts page). I see where it is indeed sold through various Euro sellers, but only with their leash (as @1000-oaks said) which I have no use for.

    I guess it's time to buy some stainless cable and a swaging kit.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I called skimo this week, asking about the cable in question. The weren't familiar with it (it's not on their binding parts page). I see where it is indeed sold through various Euro sellers, but only with their leash (as @1000-oaks said) which I have no use for.

    I guess it's time to buy some stainless cable and a swaging kit.

    ... Thom
    Itís like a $3 arts and crafts project at Home Depot. I crimped the ferrules with a wire crimper I think, it only needs to be stronger than the fuse in your leash.

    I have enough leftover for another pair, happy to send it to you if you want.

    Fritschi really should be shipping cables with Xenics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Itís like a $3 arts and crafts project at Home Depot. I crimped the ferrules with a wire crimper I think, it only needs to be stronger than the fuse in your leash.

    I have enough leftover for another pair, happy to send it to you if you want.

    Fritschi really should be shipping cables with Xenics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Yeah, I have two wire crimpers (don't ask). I found some stainless cable with 50 crimping sleeves on Amazon for about $10.00. What the heck! I'll do all of my friends' binders ;-)

    I'm thinking 1/16" cable is the way to go. Yes? As you said, it only needs to be stronger than the fuse in my leash.

    Hot tip that escaped me for some reason ...

    I was on the B & D site yesterday, and caught a comment about attaching the leash to the rear of the boot (there's a good spot on the rear of my Zero Gs for this). Since I don't like to clip into a buckle, I've been doing the "wrap" around the boot. Having the extra free length by clipping to the rear is brilliant!

    That's two more cable loops to make ;-)

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 11-23-2019 at 11:50 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post

    I'm thinking 1/16" cable is the way to go. Yes?

    ... Thom
    Yes, fritschi cable is 1/16" or the metric equivalent. Turns out I have the official loops also, they came with the vipec brakeless kit. So I can send 2 pairs to anyone in need of leash loops.

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Yes, fritschi cable is 1/16" or the metric equivalent. Turns out I have the official loops also, they came with the vipec brakeless kit. So I can send 2 pairs to anyone in need of leash loops.
    I could use some leash loops, but priority goes to more established mags. Happy to pay shipping and beer money.

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,416
    ^ I'll buy a pair Caulfield, PM'ing.

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    It’s like a $3 arts and crafts project at Home Depot. I crimped the ferrules with a wire crimper I think, it only needs to be stronger than the fuse in your leash.

    I have enough leftover for another pair, happy to send it to you if you want.

    Fritschi really should be shipping cables with Xenics.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I ghetto fabbed leash loops up yesterday...crimped with a pair of cheapo wire crimps (not the right tool, obviously) but they feel sturdy enough. Cost about three fiddy. 1/16" wire rope was a perfect fit.

    Name:  xenic leash.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  133.2 KB

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,031
    If they only need to be as strong as the fuse, why the wire? Parachord or webbing won't snag wire on clothes, weighs less and only needs a good knot and a little melt on the end. Cable have some magic property I'm missing?

  13. #213
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    If they only need to be as strong as the fuse, why the wire? Parachord or webbing won't snag wire on clothes, weighs less and only needs a good knot and a little melt on the end. Cable have some magic property I'm missing?
    I think you're right. Perhaps icing cord would be the only minor inconvenience.

    ... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  14. #214
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    322
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    If they only need to be as strong as the fuse, why the wire? Parachord or webbing won't snag wire on clothes, weighs less and only needs a good knot and a little melt on the end. Cable have some magic property I'm missing?
    That would totally work, but I don't think there's anywhere to loop paracord...the channel under the toe just fits a 1/16" wire. Is webbing smaller diameter than paracord? Sorry, not familiar with it. If so that would work.

  15. #215
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,416
    Mammut makes some tiny high-quality accessory cord. High-test braided salt water fishing line would probably also work.

  16. #216
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    114
    Long shot here, but I thought I'd throw it out there:

    If any mag ends up making toepiece adapter plates to use Xenics with quiver killed Vipec/Tecton toes, I would pay for an extra set - whatever your asking price is. No seriously. Name your price and I'll still throw in extra beer money on top of it.

  17. #217
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,416
    ^ I'll keep that in mind when I make mine, assuming I can make it work.

  18. #218
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Colorado Front Range
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Mammut makes some tiny high-quality accessory cord. High-test braided salt water fishing line would probably also work.
    Yup, 2mm cord oughta do. 1 /16" is about 1.6mm.

    The only problem with this is if you needed to replace it at some point, and you're not running with inserts, is that you'd have to pull the toes off and re-mount/re-seal the holes.

    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-27-2019 at 06:54 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

  19. #219
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    48
    I'm also in progress of making a vipec to xenic adapter, just waiting on a shipment from McMaster Carr. However its gonna be hacky as hell out due to my lack of cutting tools . Will definitely post pics and results when done if people want to copy/improve.

  20. #220
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ I'll keep that in mind when I make mine, assuming I can make it work.
    Dude please do. I'm just not mechanically very inclined, and I wouldn't trust my own work. But I am good at paying for things.

  21. #221
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    44
    So I have access to a water jet. If a few people want some of these plates cut out (of virtually any material) I could make a handful. You'd have to countersink and tap yourself but the water jet will do the shape and holes accurately. Would just need some material.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  22. #222
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,416
    Interdasting, how accurately does it cut holes? They need to be really accurate for an adapter, so the boot heel lines up with the heel piece pins.

  23. #223
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Interdasting, how accurately does it cut holes? They need to be really accurate for an adapter, so the boot heel lines up with the heel piece pins.
    Company claims accuracy of 0.001" and I don't have any reason to doubt that. I usually cut holes on it before machining parts and it's nearly as good as doing the whole thing on a mill.

    Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

  24. #224
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    5,416
    ^ That would definitely be good enough, the holes in skis from binding jigs are probably ~0.010" out of position in random directions.

  25. #225
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,031
    If concerned just cut them on the small side and chase when adding CS's.

    My biggest beef with water jets is the taper when cutting thick material, but the above would kill two birds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •