Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Are you actually going to put quiverkillers in and swap between Tecton / Xenic?
    I think more...you can reuse existing mounts. Or mount now with no problem upgrading later.

maybe not but making it a possibility means if i decided to get in bed with a <300g binding, the choice would be easy. Whether it's QK or just reusing holes, this is something I'd like to see more companies foster.

Sent off questions. Will reply back when answers received

German websites say something about the front pins sliding. I can't figure out the exact mechanism but does look very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    German websites say something about the front pins sliding. I can't figure out the exact mechanism but does look very interesting.
    I looked at those with the same conclusion that it wasn't definitive about the operation. Ie is on an adjustable RV laterally releasing track as in Vipec/Tecton

when I first saw the toe piece on these, I immediately thought of Trab TR2. But no springs there for Fritschi for sure. Could be interesting if that whole metal side piece holding the pin could "lay" on side laterally releasing the boot. Release value could be fixed at high DIN with some simple mechanism, like a U-spring on heels, to avoid pre-releasing.

I think I want these more than a crest 280.

Questions:
    Mount pattern?

Tech Toe release? Is it as “safe” and “elastic” or better, does the toe have the same design qualities as the Vipec/Tecton toe that got me off Dynafits in the first place?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I think more...you can reuse existing mounts. Or mount now with no problem upgrading later.
    Eggzachary

Yes. Already have GPO and Protest with inserts from a trip to Japan.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Wonder what material at that weight.
    ditto

That toe graphic where the pin arms are colored green definitely seems to indicate that there is a small bit of elasticity. Also the toe mount pattern couldn’t be exactly the same tip to tail length. But it would be cool if the front two were spaced the same edge to edge so you could just pop two more holes in the ski and be good to go.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Here's some answers I got back

- toe mount pattern is different. Heel mount pattern is the same. Fritschi will make the template available for Dyi

- elasticity is like most other tech bindings with the lateral and vertical releases at heelpiece (weight considerations).

- elasticity is 10mm ( not sure if that's both lateral and vertical)

- lateral and vertical DIN set separately

- same vertical release as old and new Fritschi toes with a redesigned bump to allow for release when boot hits the bump. But no boot invagination downside

- materials used is carbon and plastics

Thanks Leelau!

With only Lee's info available, my intertubes yahoo assessment is once again Fritschi beats Marker with this incremental improvement to the affordable 300g class. Maybe ATK performance features (but not construction) at Marker prices? Nothing revolutionary here, but materials/manufacturing lessons learned might lead to lighter Tectons in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Another 300g option will only do more to help us get these bindings down to under $400 w/ brakes. Please. That’d be great. Thx.

As for mount pattern, I don’t really care. I’d rather not limit my engineers freedom to get the design right by requiring them to use a mount pattern developed for a different style of binding. This is an issue for the maybe 1% of sales to skiers who mount their own fucking skis. Everyone else will be happy to remount or get new skis. I’m in the camp of folks who don’t see myself using the same ski with both Tectons and this. That ski would likely be mounted with MTNs or speeds.

I’m also glad this apears to use standard crampon attachment, not something unique like a tecton, or G3.

So let me get this straight. No lateral release at the toe? How about ski flex compensation in the heel... or heel gap? Interchangeable brakes for those of us too cheap to buy one pair of clamps per ski?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    So let me get this straight. No lateral release at the toe? How about ski flex compensation in the heel... or heel gap? Interchangeable brakes for those of us too cheap to buy one pair of clamps per ski?
    Brakes on a binding this light, but why?
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

huh - if you do not want them, then just take them off no?

Name:  xenic10_0004.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  148.9 KB

i would imagine taking the binding off the rail enables easy removal of the brake. The brake arm assembly suggests as much if similarities with Vipec/Tectons are any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    How about ski flex compensation in the heel... or heel gap?
    Just looking at the longer pin length and shorter heel track, I"m guessing heel gap.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    huh - if you do not want them, then just take them off no?

Name:  xenic10_0004.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  148.9 KB

i would imagine taking the binding off the rail enables easy removal of the brake. The brake arm assembly suggests as much if similarities with Vipec/Tectons are any indication.
    Agree. Brakes look 100% removable and magically transform into everyone's favorite stomp pad.

@Thomas -- im guessing heel gap, no magic compensation, due to the pivoting heel tower :-\

from the link I posted in #9:

"Some small changes come with this attachment as the fact that the locking of the front stop will not be required. The Swiss manufacturer explains that the pin levers of the stopper move horizontally and absorb the vertical forces. Thus nuisance tripping due to shocks coming from below is avoided without having to lock the system during the descent."

The article also quotes one price without the brakes, and one for just the brakes -> logical deduction, brakes might not required for use.Also, with the binding using the same/similar rails as Vipecs and Tectons with a similar BSL adjustment, hopefully the binding also has fore/aft elasticity - unless they skipped that spring to save weight. I am not sure.

Name:  xenic10_0008.jpg
Views: 2402
Size:  63.7 KB

also " Another important point regarding the triggering of the heel. The binding provides a vertical trigger that is adjustable 4-10 (unlike the Salomon MTN and the Marker Alpinist which feature a "U" in the heel with a fixed value). As for the lateral release, it can also be set directly on the attachment (4-10 depending on the model)." seems to indicate that vertical and horizontal release might be independently adjustable in the heel - though if that is the case and how that is achieved is not readily apparant to me with only one adjustment screw on the heel - together with the second that adjusts the bsl. There might be some interaction between the vertical release and a fore-aft-release enabling it - I have no idea.from a spanish site: https://www.turiski.es/fritschi-pres...esqui-montana/
    "
    The progressive technologies integrated in its avant-garde and compact design provide a greater performance in the descents. One of the great novelties of the Xenic 10 is the prevention of accidental release for reasons other than a fall. The pins of its innovative tip move horizontally absorbing the forces of vertical action. Therefore, it is not necessary to block the fixation in case of compromised descent. The use of the lift as a lever allows you to easily change the position. With only half a turn of the heel, you go from the descent position to the ascent position, and the brake is automatically locked to the first step. Each Fritschi development is inspired by the needs of mountain skiers."

so in summery, lots of unknowns, but some indications that this binding will pack a lot of punch given its impressive weight.

why do they say "no skiing" on them?

probably a demo model, meant to show the functionality of the binding, but not built to ski with.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    why do they say "no skiing" on them?
    As mentioned below likely just a demo mock up for display purposes and not functionally strong enough for use. Or, Fritschi could only get a handful built in time for trade shows and they don’t want to risk their reps teaming up to build a pair for skiing on and potentially inadvertently loosing/braking one of a a handful of demo models prior to playing show and tell.

If successful, this binding will have brakes, adjustable vertical and lateral heel retention and be under 300g. That’s pretty impressive.
    Last edited by XavierD; 01-23-2019 at 12:58 PM.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thanks!!!

New toe redesign without kneefall boot invaginator

Separarate horizontal and vertical release of DIN 4-10

Some toe lateral elasticity; unclwar how much

Weight 250g without brakes. 280g with

Bsl adjustment 25mm Demo track of 60mm

Wonder if the brakes will be the stated width or somewhere random between 80 and 150 mm wide.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?