Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
    I´ve found a good offer for a Xenic, but the shop also offers a newer version to a significantly higher price and I´m wondering whether the cheaper one is still affected by the toe lever issue since they look a bit different in that area. Could someone please comment on that?
    Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I just bought the GF a pair of the new version xenics for $235 with free shipping. https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-to...tschi-xenic-10

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    I just bought the GF a pair of the new version xenics for $235 with free shipping. https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-to...tschi-xenic-10
    The picture looks like the older of the two version I meant which is sold for 199 Euros w/o brakes. Meanwhile I got a reply from the shop, that the more expensive one is the latest iteration which was (somehow) improved in the toe piece, but nothing more concrete.

I just got a reply from Fritschi´s CS.
    Accordingly to what they wrote, the (now) white button was redesigned to avoid the ski/walk lever to be locked by snow/ice.
    They also sent a video showing the locked lever issue and how to solve it removing the snow and moving the (here still black) button a couple of times.
    Further, some other parts seem to have been made somehow stronger.

de-icing toe

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    They also sent a video showing the locked lever issue and how to solve it removing the snow and moving the (here still black) button a couple of times.
    Can you post the video please? Ta.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    These things are down to $159
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by geoffski View Post
    Can you post the video please? Ta.
    Hope it works:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm7dhcn47m...t%202.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for the video link; that worked. Hope the technique works too! .

(aside - I'm pretty fed up with Fritschi icing problems - I still struggle from time to time with the heel of my Vipec/Evos - I've been known to take them off the ski and put them under my clothes for 20 minutes to de-ice - hardly a fast transition!)

FWIW, it took Black Diamond 3 weeks to respond to my warranty claim for fixing the toe levers. It has been 3 weeks since I sent my toe pieces in and they still haven’t confirmed what they will do or when I will get the toe pieces back.

Assuming I do eventually get the toe pieces back, anyone want to recommend a Xenic compatible crampon that will provide a close fit on a 100mm wide ski?

It looks like Skimo made a rather detailed crampon compatibility table. It looks like there are a lot of compatible options.

https://skimo.co/ski-crampon-compatibility
    Last edited by Karl_H; 02-23-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_H View Post
    FWIW, it took Black Diamond 3 weeks to respond to my warranty claim for fixing the toe levers. It has been 3 weeks since I sent my toe pieces in and they still haven’t confirmed what they will do or when I will get the toe pieces back.

Assuming I do eventually get the toe pieces back, anyone want to recommend a Xenic compatible crampon that will provide a close fit on a 100mm wide ski?

It looks like Skimo made a rather detailed crampon compatibility table. It looks like there are a lot of compatible options.

https://skimo.co/ski-crampon-compatibility

Skimo also publishes their own measured widths for each crampon they sell so it would be a matter of measuring your ski to check its actual width and then picking a crampon a hair wider (like the ATK 102mm)

For anyone out there running Xenic & Tecton toe inserts and swapping heels on and off fixed heel plate, are the plates identical or is the Xenic plate smaller?

Seems like a pretty ideal setup for a daily driver bc rig with some flexibility as a travel / side country ski.

Quote Originally Posted by shank View Post
    For anyone out there running Xenic & Tecton toe inserts and swapping heels on and off fixed heel plate, are the plates identical or is the Xenic plate smaller?

Seems like a pretty ideal setup for a daily driver bc rig with some flexibility as a travel / side country ski.
    At least on my setup (purchased a few years ago), the heel plate is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    At least on my setup (purchased a few years ago), the heel plate is the same.
    Same for older Xenics (3 yrs) and newer (1 yr)

Awesome - extra pair of plates means an excuse to set up an extra pair of skis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fritschi Xenic - 280g claimed weight tech binding

Quote Originally Posted by Ørion View Post
    Skimo also publishes their own measured widths for each crampon they sell so it would be a matter of measuring your ski to check its actual width and then picking a crampon a hair wider (like the ATK 102mm)
    I was in a shop the other day looking at this and we found that the ATK, Xenic, and Dynafit crampons all fit well. Happy that I don’t have to buy new crampons just for these. Now I can afford brakes. Was considering just going with leashes but I’ll take the weight penalty.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 04-05-2023 at 08:55 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    I was in a shop the other day looking at this and we found that the ATK, Tecton, and Dynafit crampons all fit well. Happy that I don’t have to buy new crampons just for these. Now I can afford brakes. Was considering just going with leashes but I’ll take the weight penalty.
    Tectons use a different crampon attachment so I assume you mean the Xenic ones? I'm in a crampons conundrum myself as ON3P really does mean exactly 110mm when they say 110mm width, might just have to jump to a 120mm ATK.

As for brakes, I'm pretty happy with my B&D leashes after seeing a friend's ski (with brakes) rocket down a hill several hundred yards before taking a jump and burying itself to toe piece like a lawn dart.

Of course, might be singing a different tune if I had instead watched her get domed by a leashed ski on the rebound instead...

yeah my mistake

and yeah this is meant for a spring setup so leashes might be more appropriate - I’ve seen skis with brakes go a loooong way down the hill (and over a waterfall &#129315

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    yeah my mistake

and yeah this is meant for a spring setup so leashes might be more appropriate - I’ve seen skis with brakes go a loooong way down the hill (and over a waterfall )
    Yeah, if you haven't had a chance to try the B&D leashes, the length is clutch and the breakable fuse is a nice touch. Fixes the issues I have with standard leashes.

Some wrap it around their ankles but you'll get a lot more usability if you can clip it somewhere on the back of the boot.

I've been tempted to figure out a way to hotswap them between skis so I can run them as powder leashes inbounds too.

where are you attaching the leash to the binding?

I might just make my own with stuff I have at home - I was thinking of using a zip tie to attach to the toe piece since it would give me some break ability like the B&D

If the toe piece is off, you can look underneath it and there'll be channel underneath around the front screws to hold a loop of wire. The official Fritschi leashes comes with a premade loop but assuming you don't have that, Home Depot sells 1/16" stainless steel wire by the foot which is the right diameter for it. In the same aisle they'll have the appropriate sized aluminum ferrules. No need for a special crimper, a pair of pliers or even a light tap with a hammer will get the job done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230412_113056.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	876.6 KB 
ID:	455428

You could add a ziptie fuse to that or kill two birds with one stone and add the fuse to the boot itself for an easier clipping target.

thanks

Name:	Image1681952109.688602.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	456362

I have some tele leashes around here somewhere…

well that didn’t work

randomly kicked a shoe on some hard snow and went down hard

my hand crimped cable came apart so I got to watch my ski rocket off down the hill while I was sliding away from my dropped pole - I watched it until I saw it hit a fence near a lodge

Name:	Image1682783179.958180.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	457392

I think I hit a chunk of chunder but I was surprised to come out - I had no problem in difficult wet spring glop last weekend - this was stiff but reasonably smooth snow and I’d already made a bunch of turns

anyway nursing some banged up ribs and shopping for proper leashes and turning my DIN up to 10

Were you on the Xenix?

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

I had a couple mtn leash loop cables fray, so I'm using real small dyneema cord (1.5mm?) now. It's sold as bowfishing line which is a fun fact to tell people when they ask about it. I'll mail you some if you want to try it.