Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post

With all the modern businesses that have made shitty business models obsolete, why is airline travel still so awful and keeps getting worse? I want a company to change the airline industry much like Uber changed the shittiness of using taxis.
    Why? Two major reasons; money and geography.

Airlines require a lot of capital expenditure between new planes, upgrades, repairs, hangers, etc. which means the barrier to entry is REALLY high just due to cash alone. For Uber most people already owned a car. I don't think more than a handful own a personal plane.

Secondly, the airlines in the US know they're really the ONLY fast option for inter-continental travel. Europe has trains, cars, buses, etc. while in the US you're really limited in how far you can take public transportation or drive in a reasonable amount of time (with an equivalent cost). Therefore, they can treat you like shit and get away with it because without them, you're kinda screwed.

I've flown to Taiwan with Air Cathay Pacific, to Europe with Air France and British Airways, and all were infinitely better than anything I've ever experienced in the US.

That being said, Virgin and Jetblue are definitely two of the better options in the US for flying.

I'd say the modern business model is the shitty nickel and diming business model. Or the fuck you over on privacy model, or just the fuck you over model. It succeeds because if you aren't the one being fucked (or if you don't care about being fucked on privacy) it leads to lower cash expenditure.

Uber plowed billions of investor money - and individual drivers in the depths of the recession did too - into subsidizing better taxi rides. For obvious reasons, this isn't sustainable long term. Much like how air travel was nicer when the airlines were losing tons of money.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    So you don't takes domestic flights in Canada? Slim pickings.
    Rarely, and if so, my destination is served by a small regional carrier (Pacific Coastal/CMA) Air North, West Jet or one of the welfare discount airlines that depart from suburbs in aircraft that still have ashtrays.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Everyone "boycotts" xyz airline until the price is $1 less than the other guys. Everyone says this airline is better than that one, but the big three are all exactly the same.

skirat gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Why? Two major reasons; money and geography.

Airlines require a lot of capital expenditure between new planes, upgrades, repairs, hangers, etc. which means the barrier to entry is REALLY high just due to cash alone. For Uber most people already owned a car. I don't think more than a handful own a personal plane.

Secondly, the airlines in the US know they're really the ONLY fast option for inter-continental travel. Europe has trains, cars, buses, etc. while in the US you're really limited in how far you can take public transportation or drive in a reasonable amount of time (with an equivalent cost). Therefore, they can treat you like shit and get away with it because without them, you're kinda screwed.
    But to address the second point, there are many people onboard who are traveling for less than the actual cost of the trip. They're being subsidized by the higher fare passengers. And yet they still complain.

And really, it was deregulation that set the American industry on the path to low-service nickel and diming.

I've flown to Taiwan with Air Cathay Pacific, to Europe with Air France and British Airways, and all were infinitely better than anything I've ever experienced in the US.
    Without question. But you generally pay for it. If you didn't, someone else did.

Plus, each of those companies is the only game in town.

That being said, Virgin and Jetblue are definitely two of the better options in the US for flying.
    Ain't no such thing as Virgin America anymore. Redwood has gone Seahawks Blue.

Name:  AlaskaN927VA.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  96.9 KB

...another deregulation reality.

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    Bank of America, Wells Fargo - for openly fucking over people with minimal consequences, I won't even use they're ATMs let alone have any account with them.
    Why is BoA grouped in with Wells on this one? Never understood the bank hatred. Basically every company you like depends on banks to grow/sell product.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Because some banks stay out of your life and some fuck you over at every chance they can get.

TGR
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Rarely, and if so, my destination is served by a small regional carrier (Pacific Coastal/CMA) Air North, West Jet or one of the welfare discount airlines that depart from suburbs in aircraft that still have ashtrays.
    If you ever fly into Smithers with ski/fishing/hunting gear I suggest you plan in a day of hanging out in town while your gear shows up, cuz its Air Canada's business plan to fly an airplane that isn't big enough to carry all the gear their passengers bring
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
    TGR
    is that you, beatlejizz?

333 Skis.

AMG
    Hyundai
    Glass plates
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I'd say the modern business model is the shitty nickel and diming business model. Or the fuck you over on privacy model, or just the fuck you over model. It succeeds because if you aren't the one being fucked (or if you don't care about being fucked on privacy) it leads to lower cash expenditure.
    End of Net Neutrality...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Farmed Salmon and Imported Shrimp
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post

Uber plowed billions of investor money - and individual drivers in the depths of the recession did too - into subsidizing better taxi rides. For obvious reasons, this isn't sustainable long term. Much like how air travel was nicer when the airlines were losing tons of money.
    Uber also ignored all licensing fees and regulations that all local taxi companies had to pay. They do not compete fairly and get way with it for some reason. I'm not arguing they don't provide a better service, but that's easier to do when your not paying the full costs of being in business that you competitors do.

Quote Originally Posted by Leavenworth Skier View Post
    333 Skis.
    Ditto.

Fuck Uber too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Fuck BIRD scooters

Folks boycotting Uber also down to boycott AirBnB? Same unfair advantages over licensed hotel/motels in play there.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Folks boycotting Uber also down to boycott AirBnB? Same unfair advantages over licensed hotel/motels in play there.
    Fuck AirBnB. Was a host for a long time until this winter. It was pretty neat in the beginning, lots of skiers coming thru and there was a big social vibe to it, I met a lot of cool people. Now it's just a 'you're cheaper than the Motel 6, where's the key?' crowd.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    Fuck AirBnB. Was a host for a long time until this winter. It was pretty neat in the beginning, lots of skiers coming thru and there was a big social vibe to it, I met a lot of cool people. Now it's just a 'you're cheaper than the Motel 6, where's the key?' crowd.
    raise your prices

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Uber also ignored all licensing fees and regulations that all local taxi companies had to pay. They do not compete fairly and get way with it for some reason. I'm not arguing they don't provide a better service, but that's easier to do when your not paying the full costs of being in business that you competitors do.
    Can't stand Uber and I don't use it. I also can't stand how taxi regulations are mostly set up to stiffle competition. I hope the taxi model implodes and we get something better out of the whole thing. Sensible regulation with the worker and consumer protected, and the ability to use an app to summon a ride. Fuck Uber and I have no pitty for the taxi company bosses.

Folks boycotting Uber also down to boycotting Lyft?

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Folks boycotting Uber also down to boycotting Lyft?
    What's Lyft? And yes.

I refuse to pay for any movie starring Tom Cruise or any other rah-rah-Scumentology celebrity.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post
    I refuse to pay for any movie starring Tom Cruise or any other rah-rah-Scumentology celebrity.
    +1 and add Mel Gibson..

So many Chick Fil A haters missing out . Omg a devoutly Christian owner is going to donate to Christian charities that are going to focus on supporting traditional marriages/ values ... Gays can get married and are championed throughout mainstream media / culture for their years of hardship... that victim ship has sailed ... let’s move on

Chick Fil A regardless of ones gender , appearance, sexual orientation , ideology treats everyone with respect and they’ve built an amazing corporate culture. Why else do you think double majors from schools like Vanderbilt elect to work at a Chick Fil A post grad for the distant reward of owning a store? It’s an incredible company that treats everyone with dignity.

I do boycott Gillette

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums