Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Anything Disney. Insidious mutherfuckers. But the princesses in the house just ignore me.

Quote Originally Posted by HHTELE View Post
    I disagree.
    Most big companies have politics of one sort or another. And, when you buy from that company, your money finances their politics. I really appreciate it when a company is public about where my money goes.
    Whilst I applaud organizations devoted to preserving the "sanctity" of nature, I absolutely detest anyone, whether at the level of the individual or the corporation, attempting to tell me how I ought to think or act. Patagonia has done that repeatedly over the past decade, or so, including resent presidential elections. Fuck 'em. And I used to buy a butt-load of their gear, too.

Maybe you used to buy Gillette products. Now that you know that you are supporting causes you disagree with, you can buy elsewhere.
    While I don't eat a lot of fast food, I happen to know where money from Chikafil and dominoes goes. Not a place I want my money going.
    So, why do you disagree with my earlier post? It would appear, prima facia, that we're in agreement with respect to our preferred shopping habit. Oui?

Just curious- why do you want to fuck those fucking fucks up the ass with a broken bottle?
    First, I like writing, and saying, "fuck those fucking fucks".

Second, circa 1995, or so, Subaru began airing commercials that, essentially, portrayed Subaru owners / drivers as better, more exalted life forms than drivers of certain other automobiles. Classic example- Young, hip couple in their Outback, or whatever the fuck it was, driving along through the forest and they come across a deer feeding. They stop and are all, "Awwww, how fucking sweet. We're one with nature in our fucking Subaru". Then suddenly, loud music blares and some hudge SUV comes rampaging into the formerly idyllic, peaceful, oh, I have such a hard-on for nature scene. Bambi takes off running in abject terror, and the young, beautiful couple, probably Decemberist fans, frown in disapproval.

Yeah, I know, a goofy fucking commercial.

But what I hated, and still hate, was Subaru's willingness to broadcast such a divisive message- drive a fucking Subaru because you're some sort of elite life form. Drive something else because you're a fucking deplorable. That was the gist of that commercial. I'm fairly certain that that wasn't the first time a corporation aired television commercials ridiculing segments of American society, but it was the first time I recall being cognizant of such a blatantly revolting message. I fucking hate that kind of shit.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Any local store that doesn’t have what I’m looking for and then tells me they can order and cops an attitude when I say I can too. If they chuckle and say they appreciate the business, I order through them and keep shopping there.

It’s an idiosyncrasy of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Any local store that doesn’t have what I’m looking for and then tells me they can order and cops an attitude when I say I can too. If they chuckle and say they appreciate the business, I order through them and keep shopping there.

It’s an idiosyncrasy of mine.
    Well ain’t this place a geographical oddity? Two weeks from everywhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I mean, yeah, sort of.

But... (See other thread linked above. Also, skiing just once a year would be a bummer. Sorry about that.)

Also I wonder how many of their say K2 Athletes or Line ones give a shit about the Chinese works building their skis... I'm not one for boycotting brands like Apple as everything is made in China and they don't make out like its not, theres a bit of a CSR failing there but it won't change any time soon. My point is the POW lot are just out right daft (to use the Scottish). Its not like Apple are a human rights organisation running factories. Same for Amazon, I have no problem with their tax structures as all they are doing is using a system to their advantage.

Thats living in the UK I ski in Scotland when we have snow though, if like my sister in law I lived in a resort it would be different. However I'm not a fan of flying for holidays unless its the only way to do it, hence why its limited to skiing as my partner and I holiday within the UK to save us from flying for the sake of flying.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

NIKE, but it's personal.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Whilst I applaud organizations devoted to preserving the "sanctity" of nature, I absolutely detest anyone, whether at the level of the individual or the corporation, attempting to tell me how I ought to think or act. Patagonia has done that repeatedly over the past decade, or so, including resent presidential elections. Fuck 'em. And I used to buy a butt-load of their gear, too.

So, why do you disagree with my earlier post? It would appear, prima facia, that we're in agreement with respect to our preferred shopping habit. Oui?

First, I like writing, and saying, "fuck those fucking fucks".

Second, circa 1995, or so, Subaru began airing commercials that, essentially, portrayed Subaru owners / drivers as better, more exalted life forms than drivers of certain other automobiles. Classic example- Young, hip couple in their Outback, or whatever the fuck it was, driving along through the forest and they come across a deer feeding. They stop and are all, "Awwww, how fucking sweet. We're one with nature in our fucking Subaru". Then suddenly, loud music blares and some hudge SUV comes rampaging into the formerly idyllic, peaceful, oh, I have such a hard-on for nature scene. Bambi takes off running in abject terror, and the young, beautiful couple, probably Decemberist fans, frown in disapproval.

Yeah, I know, a goofy fucking commercial.

But what I hated, and still hate, was Subaru's willingness to broadcast such a divisive message- drive a fucking Subaru because you're some sort of elite life form. Drive something else because you're a fucking deplorable. That was the gist of that commercial. I'm fairly certain that that wasn't the first time a corporation aired television commercials ridiculing segments of American society, but it was the first time I recall being cognizant of such a blatantly revolting message. I fucking hate that kind of shit.
    Well, the entire, and only, point of advertising is to shape how we think and act. For the most part, companies would us to think there products are great, and act like somebody who buys them.

As far as Subaru goes, I can entirely relate to wanting to say fuck those fucking fucks. I don't mean Subaru in particular- I love Subarus. Just, in general, saying fuck those fucking fucks can be pretty satisfying. I just thought that assfucking them with a broken bottle seemed a bit strong, and is generally reserved for pretty strong offenses. Regarding the folks in the SUV who barreled through, scaring Bambi: well, fuck those fucking fucks.

Reading this thread did get me thinking about something- Companies that support causes generally seen as liberal (how conserving our resources is liberal I have no idea) seem to make that really public. While many brands that support causes viewed as conservative- limiting abortion access, diverting public funds to religious education...- tend to do it more privately.

I was thrown for a bit of a loop when I found out Linda Bean, a Major player for LL Bean puts money in places I really don't want it. I am not a big LL Bean consumer, but had thought of them as being supportive of preserving our environmental resources.

BTW- my feelings might be changing about Subaru- I looked for that Bambi commercial, but couldn't find it. What I did find was that those fucking fucks allow dogs to drive with no seat belts. What the fuck is wrong with them? I hope my dog doesn't see this.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    starbucks is the enemy of my people
    Some people consider Starbucks the enemy of good coffee.

It's really only advertisers "telling you how to think" when the message causes you dissonance. When the message doesn't make you uncomfortable, you are already thinking that way. It's just reinforcing the attitudes of the majority of individuals, that's the goal. The nation is so divided between the 70% progressive, pro diversity and 30% conservative, anti diversity populace that vendors have to pick a side at some point. Which side do most pick?? The side with the most money. Companies whose views fall on the unpopular side, Chik Fil A and Hobby Lobby for example, opt to keep those views on the DL because pushing them pisses off the majority instead of the minority. Those on the other side of ads feel shamed regardless. Get over it snowflakes!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Patagonia, and now Gillette.

I can't fucking stand "SJW" companies. I wish businesses would shut the fuck up with politics. Also actors, comedians, musicians, or anyone else relying on the consumer-public. Let your fucking product or service stand on it's own fucking merit.

Oh yeah, how could I forget Subaru? Fuck those fucking fucks up the ass with a broken bottle forever.
    Please post updates of how your boycott of P & G goes.

Also, you think that musicians and comedians need to refrain from political commentary? Even now, with an incompetent reality TV buffoon as President?

Have you been checked for dementia lately?

I boycott Inbev (Bud) products. Pretty easy to do actually. If I was going to drink shitty beer, there's plenty of other substitutions that don't belong to Inbev of Miller Coors or whatever they are calling themselves these days. Attending concerts or on the ski hill is the only time that it is very hard to do when they are the only beer on tap.

Patagonia, and now Gillette.

I can't fucking stand "SJW" companies. I wish businesses would shut the fuck up with politics. Also actors, comedians, musicians, or anyone else relying on the consumer-public. Let your fucking product or service stand on it's own fucking merit.

Oh yeah, how could I forget Subaru? Fuck those fucking fucks up the ass with a broken bottle forever.
    I am going to have end my boycott if your mom.

More recently Subaru adds are focusing more on safety, pretty effective, especially the one with the guy who walks into the junkyard to get the shift knob from his totally demolished Suby (but good luck finding a Subaru with a manual transmission these days.)
    I hate car adds that tell you all about the car's electronic gadgets and cupholders. I want to know how it drives, how's the MPG, how reliable it is, how safe it is. On second thought, the ads are just going to lie anyway, so tell me about the gadgets and I'll find the useful information elsewhere.
    Speaking of gadgets, why does my Forester have 2 different ways to turn on the defroster?

BTW- my feelings might be changing about Subaru- I looked for that Bambi commercial, but couldn't find it. What I did find was that those fucking fucks allow dogs to drive with no seat belts. What the fuck is wrong with them? I hope my dog doesn't see this.
    Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    More recently Subaru adds are focusing more on safety, pretty effective, especially the one with the guy who walks into the junkyard to get the shift knob from his totally demolished Suby (but good luck finding a Subaru with a manual transmission these days.)
    I hate car adds that tell you all about the car's electronic gadgets and cupholders. I want to know how it drives, how's the MPG, how reliable it is, how safe it is. On second thought, the ads are just going to lie anyway, so tell me about the gadgets and I'll find the useful information elsewhere.
    Speaking of gadgets, why does my Forester have 2 different ways to turn on the defroster?
    It is funny to hear about people boycotting things because of their ads. I really don't watch TV much and when I do I don't really watch ads. There is one local bank who's radio ads are incredibly annoying and I don't do business with them, but they seem to stay in business anyway.

Do you boycott any products?

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    It is funny to hear about people boycotting things because of their ads. I really don't watch TV much and when I do I don't really watch ads. There is one local bank who's radio ads are incredibly annoying and I don't do business with them, but they seem to stay in business anyway.
    All car and truck ads completely suck, so I boycott all vehicles.
    So vivasection, what car ad is A-OK for you, so you drive their rig?
    Of course, right on cue:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9673.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	596.0 KB 
ID:	265036
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    K A R S cars for kids....K A R S cars for kids.

Boycotting Facebook and Instagram because of the fucking ads and their data mining and sale. So stupid there is no pay system to turn them off.

Just paid tapatalk to get rid of the ads. Already like it. 0.99 is nothing

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Boycotting Facebook and Instagram because of the fucking ads and their data mining and sale. So stupid there is no pay system to turn them off.

Just paid tapatalk to get rid of the ads. Already like it. 0.99 is nothing
    Paying to turn off ads just increases the ads.

The model is working. Annoy people so much with ads that they will pay money to stop it.

Best thing would be to stop using the products that annoy you with ads.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    That one is a mystery to me. I've never, ever heard a man tell a woman to smile. It's such a weird thing to say, don't get how it's a thing. Apparently it must happen once in awhile though.

Am pretty annoyed by shameless use of the term "toxic masculinity" though. It's every bit as offensive as saying "toxic Jewish traits", "toxic Black culture", "toxic homosexuality" or any other racist or sexist stereotype. You can't fight racism or sexism by being openly racist or sexist; you'd think this would be common sense.
    Really?

I have a few times. Usually in jest among friends but that goes to show you that it can happen.

I guess I don't have an issue with that term because it differentiates between traditional things society identifies as "masculine" and the parts that have become damaging. There's no problem with men lifting weights together, competing against one another, playing tackle sports on the playground, etc. (go ahead and insert anything you consider "masculine") but there is a problem when someone is teased for being "weaker" than others, for being a loser, for crying when they get hurt, etc. because it isn't seen as masculine in the eyes of the majority.

I honestly have no problems with companies injecting their own politics into their ads. If I don't agree with it, I won't buy it if possible. I don't see Patagonia being hypocritical for their stance on public lands and mountain biking, their whole platform is about sustainability, not being active. I don't see an issue with POW's message and then flying on a jet. Their whole idea is that we can all cut back and we need to raise awareness about how we can do this.

The only company I do find hypocritical is PETA. Fuck PETA. I will never, ever support PETA in any shape or form. I'd donate my entire life savings to a shelter before giving PETA a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Paying to turn off ads just increases the ads.

The model is working. Annoy people so much with ads that they will pay money to stop it.

Best thing would be to stop using the products that annoy you with ads.
    You have no proof of this.

I would debate it. Tapatalk has increased the ads dramatically in 2019. You think the amount of people using tapatalk and buying the ad free increased? Show me the numbers. I would think the opposite. Forum users down and people expect their internet experience to be free. They accept ads because they are bombarded with them constantly.

Walmart is definitely on that list for me. Their labor practices turned me off a long time ago.

I will avoid flying Delta however I can. Like a fucking bus with wings, versus a carrier like Alaskan Air (in-flight economy beer ftw).

Walmart and Air Canada.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

All car ads follow one of two themes, depending on which gender is the target. For men it's about the car being better and/or cooler, so by logical extension the driver is better/cooler. For women, it's the car is safer, so they - and more importantly their children - are safer.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You have no proof of this.

I would debate it. Tapatalk has increased the ads dramatically in 2019. You think the amount of people using tapatalk and buying the ad free increased? Show me the numbers. I would think the opposite. Forum users down and people expect their internet experience to be free. They accept ads because they are bombarded with them constantly.
    I have no proof nor do I really care. My own made up thoughts and assumptions.

It worked on you. You just said Tapatalk increased ads dramatically in 2019 so you paid to get rid of them. Are you an anomaly?