Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What happened on Quandry

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/backc...quandary-peak/

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/1...ed-identified/

Shouldn't we be MMQBing this?

Don't we care? Aren't backcountry skiers a community?

Just seems weird

Not enough info to properly qb this one yet

Doesn’t mention a slide. Did he fall? Skiing can be hazardous.

damn... thoughts to the victim's family and friends. really curious to hear what happened.

Yup, I've been unable to find any other details so far other than what those articles stated

According to some FB posts from people who were there, he fell and hit his head (no helmet). Assuming that's the case, my MMQB is that you might want to wear a helmet even on relatively tame routes (he was in the east bowl).

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    According to some FB posts from people who were there, he fell and hit his head (no helmet). Assuming that's the case, my MMQB is that you might want to wear a helmet even on relatively tame routes (he was in the east bowl).
    Fuck. That DP article said he fell, and I started to wonder about exactly this. Vibes to this guy's family and friends. sad.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    This is what I read as well.

I'm not the type to tell people that they should always wear a helmet, but I can tell you that I probably wouldn't be here right now if it wasn't for helmets. About 9 or 10 years ago, I skied Dave's Wave in the springtime. The bottom of the run empties out into some mellow, low angle, widely spaced old growth trees. Not in any way difficult skiing for me. I hit a patch of wet sticky snow and my skis fully STOPPED. The last thing I remember is flying headfirst, superman style, directly towards a large tree. The next thing I remember is waking up, skis off, head in my partner's lap, asking him what happened. I don't remember hitting the tree. Apparently I was knocked out for about 5 minutes and in convulsions, then I woke up and spent 20 minutes repeatedly asking my buddy what happened before I remember anything. I got out under my own power, went to the ER, and was diagnosed with a grade 3 concussion. I was fucking lucky. My helmet was split cleanly in two. I still have occasional side effects from it and never ski without a helmet on.

RIP to the skier on Quandary and vibes to anyone that knew him.

I try to wear a helmet when I am backcountry skiing, but I generally don't. It makes no sense. I am going to try harder to change.

What are some good options for lighter more climbing style options?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I try to wear a helmet when I am backcountry skiing, but I generally don't. It makes no sense. I am going to try harder to change.

There's a new lightweight helmet from Salomon, the MTN LAB, that is certified for both climb and ski. I want one but the sizes might be picked over for this year.

https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/mtn-lab.html

Do people find the lightweight helmets worth the $$? I've been carrying my inbounds helmet in the backcountry and was considering lightening things up; looks like I'd save about half a pound.

Yeah, that one doesn't fit my head. I have a Giro something with the pads taken out that I like. I'm just wondering about more climbing style lids like the Mammut Alpine Rider.

I have a Smith Maze that looks stupid on me but it's also stupid light and reasonably priced. I'm guilty of not wearing it 95% of the time but stuff like this makes me really think twice about it...

What happened on Quandry

I’m in the same boat. If I found a great bc helmet I would probably wear one more often. Anyone have experience with the dynafit helmets or the Sweet Igniter Alpinist?

I snagged a MTN Lab in the fall off Gear Swap and dig it. But if it doesn't fit, then obviously doesn't work.

Smith Maze was the go-to BC helmet a while back simply due to weight before the more-specialized dual-rated lids came out. No experience with the Camp, Dynafit, or Sweet, personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Here's a handy list of helmet weights. I hate heavy helmets and got myself a Smith Vantage - which I really like - that is one of the lighter MIPS options out there. Ever since my kid cut in front of me while we were zipping along when he was about 10 and I went superman try to avoid him (and bought myself and concussion and a split in half giro omen for my trouble) I'm a helmet convert so I don't go without. Mtn Lab is really light and pretty interesting to me, but I've been guilted into MIPS. Still not sure how I feel on that topic.

Ski Helmet Comparison Table

HELMET PRICE CONSTRUCTION WEIGHT VENTILATION MIPS
    Smith Vantage MIPS $260 Hybrid in-mold 17.5 oz. Adjustable (21 vents) Yes
    Oakley Mod 5 $210 Hybrid in-mold 20 oz. Adjustable (8 vents) No (available)
    Smith Holt $70 ABS 20 oz. Fixed (10 vents) No
    Salomon MTN Lab $200 Hybrid in-mold 13.3 oz. Fixed (12 vents) No
    Smith Variance $180 Hybrid in-mold 18.5 oz. Adjustable (18 vents) No (available)
    POC Auric Cut Backcountry $220 ABS 20 oz. Adjustable (10 vents) Yes
    Giro Ledge MIPS $80 ABS 18 oz. Fixed (8 vents) Yes
    Bern Watts EPS $100 ABS 20 oz. Fixed (11 vents) No
    Giro Range MIPS $250 Hybrid in-mold 19 oz. Adjustable (13 vents) Yes
    Smith Code MIPS $200 In-mold 15.9 oz. Fixed (6 vents) Yes
    Giro Union MIPS $150 In-mold Unavail. Adjustable (11 vents) Yes
    POC Receptor BUG $100 Hybrid double shell 19.4 oz. Adjustable (8 vents) No
    Smith Mission MIPS $130 In-mold 16 oz. Adjustable (14 vents) Yes
    K2 Diversion $160 Hybrid in-mold 15.2 oz. Adjustable No
    Sweet Protection Grimnir TE $350 Hybrid carbon shell 21.2 oz. Fixed (26 vents) Yes
    Pret Helmets Cynic $110 In-mold 15 oz. Fixed (12 vents) No (available)
    Anon Raider $70 ABS 21 oz. Fixed (11 vents) No

I used to never wear a helmet in the bc. Mostly because it was inconvenient and seemed unnecessary given how little skiing I was doing compared to resorts. But I finally realized that I ski a lot of trees in the bc, and given the consequences of an injury, my original "logic" was anything but. Never ski without it now.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Been happy with the Smith Maze mid-winter, then switching to the La Sportiva Mulaz for spring climbing missions. Happy with both of them

Another +1 for the Smith Maze (comes with MIPS even) - surprisingly light.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Another +1 for the Smith Maze (comes with MIPS even) - surprisingly light.
    The Maze is crazy light - like 11.5 or 12 oz.

I wear a BD Vapor. It's purely a climbing helmet, not rated for skiing, but it's light and ventilated enough (and holds my headlamp well enough) that I always wear it, up and down. Not having to take it on/off to transition means I actually wear it. Fucking with a helmet at transitions usually ends up with me skiing with it on my pack... it feels like a big hassle.

Not advocating going this route, but I still can't help but feel like my single-impact climbing helmet offers substantially more protection than the no-helmet that I know I would be wearing if I had to be fucking with it every time I rip skins. I wanted one of the Camp dual-certified ones but they're too small for my giant melon.

e: and very sad to hear about this accident; skied east bowl twice, that's not exactly the type of terrain that gets you all nerved up for something bad to happen. I feel for the guy's family.

Mall Walker. I'm about the same. I think even putting goggles on in a hassle.

Mall Walker. I'm about the same. I think even putting goggles on in a hassle.
    lol yup. julbo treks all day, with a visor under the vapor if it's snowing

Someone who was there posted on our 14erskiers FB page that he wasn't sure a helmet would have helped anyway, since it was a pointy rock. So maybe the moral of the story is that shit happens in the mountains?

What happened on Quandry

This is sad. Most of my buddies don’t wear helmets in bc. I really wish they would.

My old camp speed saved me this early season. Skinning resort pre opening. Hit rocks on way down, skis stopped, hit more rocks with head and face. Came out of it with scraped nose, chin and a smashed helmet. Would have been much worse without.

Seems picking a new one is all about tradeoffs:
    Climbing only helmets super light and vent well but perhaps sacrifice bit of protection. Tradeoffs possibly worth it cos leave on on the up.
    The new dual cert helmets are interesting but venting is not great (I think necessary to get dual cert) and really no lighter than a stripped ski helmet. Also the dual cert camps ive tried fit really weird.