Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I need to start doing that with my helmet.
    I should just wear one all the time. For safety.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    He never advocated not using a helmet -- he was advocating skinning in one (and a visor w. sunglasses). Keep your head protected at all times and minimize the transition time. Nothing wrong with that. If you subscribe to the "never take off your pack" method, it makes sense to skin with a helmet on. Not my personal approach but I see it's merit. Plus, it's what the cool rando racers do.
    I wasn't responding to mall walker, I was responding to the people who think bringing a helmet into the backcountry is an inconvenience. In fact, I subscribe to the same technique as mall walker, sunglasses with hat/visor under a helmet, then I only have to take on/off my helmet at transitions. I ski with people who don't wear helmets, I don't really care if you do or don't but using weight and inconvenient transitions as an excuse is kind of lame.

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    I ski with people who don't wear helmets, I don't really care if you do or don't but using weight and inconvenient transitions as an excuse is kind of lame.
    Show me where I used weight as the excuse. Also, can you please give me a list of excuses for not using a helmet that's not lame (in your eyes, of course), this has become super important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Contrary opinion: I just wear a normal helmet and goggles on the down, and a hat and sunglasses on the up. It takes like 1 minute to switch between them. If that's too long for someone I'm touring with, fuck them, I don't want to tour with someone that's in that big of a hurry anyways.
    #metoo

I'm slow as fuck, period. So if my touring partners are ok with that, the extra minute won't really be noticed.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I always use a helmet at the hill but never in the BC, an incident last year now has me wearing a helmet in the BC after someone I was skiing with suffered a concussion in a seemingly nothing fall, like they literaly fell head first in the snow on a low speed turn and were disoriented BUT they had sustained a number of concussions way back in the day from falling off of horses ... suddenly she didn't know where or how to turn and its getting cold

I've decided helmets don't take up that much room
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I don't really care if you do or don't but using weight and inconvenient transitions as an excuse is kind of lame.
    It is pretty such a self call out. Nobody is arguing that you'd be safer without a helmet, save for some IFMGA guided in the Alps. We are having a chat about why we do what we do, not justification. Lame or not, the hassle factor is an impediment to helmet usage. Look at it this way, if you had to enter a PIN to use your seat belt, you should still use your seatbelt, but some people wouldn't.

I'm really going to try better and wear my helmet in the backcounty.

What happened on Quandry

The discontinued Giro Montane is my fave for midwinter. Also about 13oz like the MTN Lab, but with adjustable vents, a nice goggle retainer that doubles as a strap to clip onto your pack, and earpads that are designed to fit CHIP headphones when skiing inbounds.

I use the BD Vapor once it gets warm.

Not messing with a helmet saves time, but not as much time as you lose being foggy headed for years after a traumatic brain injury (or dead).

I want a Sweet Switcher to replace my Smith Vantage. To me, more adjustable venting means more wearing the helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not messing with a helmet saves time, but not as much time as you lose being foggy headed for years after a traumatic brain injury (or dead).

I want a Sweet Switcher to replace my Smith Vantage. To me, more adjustable venting means more wearing the helmet.
    Yep. Getting it perfect would lead to using it more. The reason I don't wear my Mammut El Cap is because I spend too much time sorting out the goggles on a non-ski helmet. If the googles would stay up on the visor, (or if I was less of a jong--not sure if it's me or the design), I'd wear it more.
    I think this thread has motivated me to keep searching for the perfect helmet. Light, vented, and will keep goggles on the brim or forehead. SkimoCo didn't seem to have anything except maybe the Movement?

I wore my helmet and sunglasses all weekend in the BC and it worked out just fine.

Hafjell, why do you need to put your goggles up? For me, the only time I take off my googles or glasses is to look at my beacon or during a rescue. Just a possible solution to a your challenge.

I also take out the ear pads and wear a buff/head band. This helps me with hearing and gives more temperature regulation options while keeping the helmet on. I also don't care for the boy in a bubble feeling of the ear pads in.

^ definitely also a fan of the headband + uninsulated helmet combo

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I wore my helmet and sunglasses all weekend in the BC and it worked out just fine.

Hafjell, why do you need to put your goggles up? For me, the only time I take off my googles or glasses is to look at my beacon or during a rescue. Just a possible solution to a your challenge.

I also take out the ear pads and wear a buff/head band. This helps me with hearing and gives more temperature regulation options while keeping the helmet on. I also don't care for the boy in a bubble feeling of the ear pads in.
    I can't give a reason except I just like lifting my goggles when I stop. A weird compulsion. Maybe I just need to get over it.
    Are you using a half buff for your head? I've got a full one and it's really long. Will try this system out. Also need to buy a pair of Julbos as my Brikos, while great on the down, fog as soon as I move.

#lookingfrenchproblems

I've got a few buff/yowie/headband depending on conditions. I also XC ski so I get a bit more practice with my game. With the OG buff you need to channel your inner Axel Rose and get your triple fold dialed in in the mirror before you go out it public. Or you can just go full do rag and run it out the back of the helmet.

What happened on Quandry

I can’t tour with goggles on during the ascent; they’ll fog on me. If I need goggles on the descent, I switch at the change over. It’s never been too much of a hassle. I also switch over to my helmet at change over. I once dropped my helmet at change over due to high winds and colds hands, it tumbled about 40’ feet downhill. Luckily, it was easy and safe to retrieved. I haven’t toured outside of California in over a decade, so maybe he goggle experience would be different in a drier or colder climate.

Mall walker, do you really tour with a two person shelter when you’re doing your pre-work morning tours? I have a sil beta mid. I’ve carried it in long outings, but never on short and quick jaunts. I always figured that I’d dig-in if there was a need.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I’ve already had a handful does that mean I shouldn’t bother with the helmet? I mean, I’m already a tard so how much worse could it get? that MTN lab looks pretty nice, can anyone comment on the fit? Curious about the fit of the Sweet Igniter Alpiniste too of anyone has it.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Mall walker, do you really tour with a two person shelter when you’re doing your pre-work morning tours? I have a sil beta mid. I’ve carried it in long outings, but never on short and quick jaunts. I always figured that I’d dig-in if there was a need.
    yeah, I started cuz it’s a requirement for a race I’m doing and figured I’d get used to the weight, but I actually kinda like having it when I’m solo, where if I get seriously hurt I might really have to hunker down and wait for a while. it’s very light and takes up a small enough amount of space, I have one of the Rab ones.