Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    How will childcare work if you need to get a job? You won't have school to occupy 7 hours a day. Will one parent always be not working? Obviously at 13, a kid can watch himself for a bit, but it's not as easy when you're not at home.
    So can a kid at 10.

Another issue is that motorhomes are largely built pretty poorly.
    This - I'd wager quite a bit less than a boat, but FUCK - more than a properly built house. Fuck those RV things.

I'm too damn lazy to read the thread see if it's been mentioned, but the documentry on the surfing family should be required viewing.
    "Can't you see..."

Sell the kids, buy a 4WD van, profit.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Seems like it'd make a lot more sense to buy (or rent) a cheap place in a good location, and base out of there. It doesn't sound as sexy, but an RV that 4 people can comfortably live in full time is pretty fucking expensive. Take the money you'll save by not buying that and get something cheap that you can do 1-2 week excursions in, then spend the rest of the money on several years worth of rent. Then the kids can go to a normal school, and you can get part time work as needed until you figure out what you want to do.

There's a thread somewhere on here about how much money people think they'd need to just retire early and do whatever for the rest of their life. The number is different for different people, but I don't think anyone was saying $250k at age 40.

Not saying you're necessarily checking out for the rest of your working life, but bumming around for a few years and running your cash reserves down to nothing-ish seems like a pretty big setback for long term planning. If I missed something in here about you having retirement taken care of, then obviously disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seems like it'd make a lot more sense to buy (or rent) a cheap place in a good location, and base out of there.
    This is what I'm tentatively planning for my "soft" early-retirement. Rent some place in a "base" area and explore. Work when/if we want to... move when we want to.

Yeah, but if they end up in the Tammy Wynette thread - which is entirely possible with a family of four living full time in an RV - it'll be a piece of cake.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Seems like it'd make a lot more sense to buy (or rent) a cheap place in a good location, and base out of there. It doesn't sound as sexy, but an RV that 4 people can comfortably live in full time is pretty fucking expensive. Take the money you'll save by not buying that and get something cheap that you can do 1-2 week excursions in, then spend the rest of the money on several years worth of rent. Then the kids can go to a normal school, and you can get part time work as needed until you figure out what you want to do.

There's a thread somewhere on here about how much money people think they'd need to just retire early and do whatever for the rest of their life. The number is different for different people, but I don't think anyone was saying $250k at age 40.

Not saying you're necessarily checking out for the rest of your working life, but bumming around for a few years and running your cash reserves down to nothing-ish seems like a pretty big setback for long term planning. If I missed something in here about you having retirement taken care of, then obviously disregard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Rent a small 2b/2b in the Aspen school district.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Fuck it man. Just do it.
    There's a million ways to get lost in the debate so if you think it's a good idea I agree with scramblename's post I quoted. Sometimes it's good to figure every angle, I do it all the time. But sometimes it's good to just fucking do shit. If it seems like a great idea, and you've thought about it enough, stop thinking and go.

Good thoughts guys. Dig it. We really liked Targhee and thought of moving up Driggs way and basing out of there to have a normal life. We could almost pay cash for a house up there from our equity. I will not rent a house. That is throwing money away. With my skills we can buy something that needs work, fix it up, flip for profit. Even if we break even its still money saved. Fuck rent. I just watched our neighbors throw away over $50k renting for 3 years and then moving. They coulda bought the house for $250k three years ago and sold in todays market for $350k by 5pm this afternoon. With that said you have to buy in a popularish area.

Whoever said to buckle down 8 more years and let the kids finish school makes A LOT of sense. Probably the wisest idea really. Im sure our house will still be worth half mill or maybe more. We will owe less money of course on it as well. 8 years isnt that long away. We have been in Colorado for over 3 years already but seems like we just got here.....shit we still have some packed boxes in the basement. Ehh, lots of thinking to do. Keep yalls shit coming.

You’re thinking too much about money. Life is quick.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    You’re thinking too much about money. Life is quick.
    Unfortunately its a neccesary evil to an extent. This will kinda set the scene for the rest of my life. But I do 100% agree....life is quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I'm too damn lazy to read the thread see if it's been mentioned, but the documentry on the surfing family should be required viewing.
    Surfwise. Do not make any major life decisions immediately after watching Doc Paskowitz dominate life, give it time

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    my oldest takes AP calc and english. I don't think I could home school that

reading riting and rithmitic isn't enough. given your kids ages I am not sure that is an issue, but my kids are always slotted in high achiever activities and break outs, etc
    "Those who can't DO, teach" A lot of pro educators tell me that there is some truth to that. Some of the best teachers learn the DO by teaching it. Done right, homeschooling will be a job.

and that's all I have to say about that
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen1978 View Post
    Good thoughts guys. Dig it. We really liked Targhee and thought of moving up Driggs way and basing out of there to have a normal life. We could almost pay cash for a house up there from our equity. I will not rent a house. That is throwing money away. With my skills we can buy something that needs work, fix it up, flip for profit. Even if we break even its still money saved. Fuck rent. I just watched our neighbors throw away over $50k renting for 3 years and then moving. They coulda bought the house for $250k three years ago and sold in todays market for $350k by 5pm this afternoon. With that said you have to buy in a popularish area.

Whoever said to buckle down 8 more years and let the kids finish school makes A LOT of sense. Probably the wisest idea really. Im sure our house will still be worth half mill or maybe more. We will owe less money of course on it as well. 8 years isnt that long away. We have been in Colorado for over 3 years already but seems like we just got here.....shit we still have some packed boxes in the basement. Ehh, lots of thinking to do. Keep yalls shit coming.
    You will throw more money away on the RV and fuel than on renting....

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    "Those who can't DO, teach" A lot of pro educators tell me that there is some truth to that. Some of the best teachers learn the DO by teaching it. Done right, homeschooling will be a job.

and that's all I have to say about that
    When it comes to sports, those with the most amazing natural abilities aren't able to teach that NATURAL ability to others successfully. Those that had average natural abilities or even sub par natural abilities who put in a lot of extra hours and hard work doing drills and extra training to compete against the best of the best natural athletes are the ones who make the best coaches.. Look at Micheal Jordan vs Mike Krzyzewski.

Back on topic, home schooling requires solid and consistent internet access. That's not always going to work traveling around in an RV.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

This with maybe a 911 and a wagon in the back should do it.

"I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

I forgot that all of our progeny had to be the top of their class in a pass/fail test. Anyway, we early retired, ran away to a mountain ski town and downsized living quarters by 75%. Lately the wife has been talking the RV life sans kids. I think we should try living in the hall way for a month to try it out first.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    I forgot that all of our progeny had to be the top of their class in a pass/fail test.
    It's really hard to rank people with a binary indicator, wooley.

Not a lot of houses in Driggs for $250k.

Pros of your plan: Not all value in life comes from money. You and your family will see some stuff and have to problem solve and learn lessons. Might even have a better family bond at the end of it.

Cons: RV's depreciate a lot, no state retirement, health insurance is expensive. I'm going to sound like a dick...your kids are from TX and you want to hang in some cool western places. Even if you spent some time in CO, they'll still be the people from Texas your kids' potential new friends' parents bitch about at the dinner table. With the influx of Texans and Californians everywhere, this could happen. This seems like it could be an awesome adventure or your kids will have trouble socializing with lifetime impacts. Homeschooling might be hard. Social skills, sports, arts-that's all on you the parents. Rolling a big class A to the cool places might be tough. Probably going to spend a lot of time in RV parks. Not cheap.

I don't have kids so just conjecture. I'd say go for it but maybe don't sell your house just yet. Rent it out to cover mortgage and do your trip for a year or two. If it works, sell. If it doesn't, go back home. The problem with using your great equity is if you want to buy back in down the road, it's now someone else's equity.

Well I guess if their parents are the jabronis with Native stickers on their Subaru's that would happen, otherwise most people aren't assholes. Colorado has about 150 years of history, pretty much everyone moved their at some point.
    Live Free or Die