Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    You're fine. Don't sweat it. Your party is done 30 minutes prior to kickoff.

Can my kids attend? I will take any free babysitting I can get.

It depends on who wins this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    It depends on who wins this weekend.
    I am certain that Denver will not win. Which is mostly all that matters around here.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Kick off isn't till 6:30. Parents are dicks if they can't give up some early drinking hours for a kiddo's party. You don't want your kid associating with people like that anyways.
    Danno is in Boulder, meaning a 4:30 kickoff.

Honestly, if you're offering to deliver the kids at 4:00 after the party, then I don't see it affecting turnout all that much. Boulder isn't exactly a hot spot for professional sports fandom. Sure, people like watching the SB but it's not going to ruin people's day.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You couldn't do it the Saturday before? I find it extremely hard to believe this is the only time you could not host this party some other time. She is 8 years old, your ski racing excuse sounds like a cop out too make yourself feel better.
    My thread is almost entirely tongue in cheek, but since you think the ski racing thing is a cop out: She has practice/training every Saturday. This is the first team she has ever been a part of, and we are working hard to instill in her the belief/knowledge that she has to be a good teammate (she quit skiing one day a few weeks ago because some kid cut in front of her and she got upset, and we had a long talk with her about this stuff). Part of that means that she has committed to being there every Saturday regardless of whether she feels like it one particular weekend (we made sure she understood that before we ever signed her up). That lesson would be diminished if we ignored her training for one particular weekend. And she has races scheduled the Sunday before and after. Moreover, we're paying a shitton of money that we can't really afford to have her on the ski team, money we won't get back if she doesn't go. If you think it's a cop out and stuff like that doesn't matter to how you raise your kids, more power to you, but I am sure some parents can relate to all of that.

And lastly (to you and others that suggested scheduling a different time/day), the party is not at our house (double digit 8 year olds in our house for 2 hours sounds like a special place in hell), so we're limited in what places are available that interest her, by the schedules of those places, and by what we can afford.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

As a parent who also loves football I would say you're in the clear considering it will done prior to the official kickoff and it's a drop-off (not to mention your generous return offer). As the Dad of 8yo and 5yo girls I make them go to any drop-off party these days, even if they do want to, just for the free time. I wouldn't expect a lot of other Dads to show up but I wouldn't hold it against you.

These people talking about scheduling to accommodate other adults and their preferred drinking schedules are idiots without kids who have no clue what a family schedule looks like with kids and 2 working parents. Like someone said, any parent who seriously thinks you're an asshole over this is probably not a parent worth being great friends with anyway.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I only have fur chillens but your childs BD is moar important than all the super bowls put together.

I'm boycotting the Superbowl this year if the Patriots are in it. I don't give a crap who plays in it, but for the love of god, don't let the Patriots be in it.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Make every Sunday Super Bowl Sunday. Why settle for a regular bowl? This is America mang. Super Bowls for all!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    My thread is almost entirely tongue in cheek, but since you think the ski racing thing is a cop out: She has practice/training every Saturday. This is the first team she has ever been a part of, and we are working hard to instill in her the belief/knowledge that she has to be a good teammate (she quit skiing one day a few weeks ago because some kid cut in front of her and she got upset, and we had a long talk with her about this stuff). Part of that means that she has committed to being there every Saturday regardless of whether she feels like it one particular weekend (we made sure she understood that before we ever signed her up). That lesson would be diminished if we ignored her training for one particular weekend. And she has races scheduled the Sunday before and after. Moreover, we're paying a shitton of money that we can't really afford to have her on the ski team, money we won't get back if she doesn't go. If you think it's a cop out and stuff like that doesn't matter to how you raise your kids, more power to you, but I am sure some parents can relate to all of that.

And lastly (to you and others that suggested scheduling a different time/day), the party is not at our house (double digit 8 year olds in our house for 2 hours sounds like a special place in hell), so we're limited in what places are available that interest her, by the schedules of those places, and by what we can afford.
    Look man, everybody gets parenting is hard and you have tradeoffs. You are placing ski racing as a higher priority than her birthday party, which is fine and well intentioned ultimately. But other parents don't give a shit about your ski racing priorities and you are forcing them into a situation that only benefits you personally.

One could say there is a lesson in here about courtesy and not scheduling events solely around what works for you, and you know, taking your friends and guests considerations into mind. Not just work everything around her schedule. But again, trade offs.

PS you really want to play the affordability card as a lawyer, in Boulder, who skis and whose kid is a ski racer. Get the fuck outta here.
    Live Free or Die

Have a gut feeling this is going to end up in the week in review thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    PS you really want to play the affordability card as a lawyer, in Boulder, who skis and whose kid is a ski racer. Get the fuck outta here.
    You know nothing about me or my life. Quit being an asshole.

And crazy me, I thought a birthday party WAS about my daughter and her schedule. It's utterly ridiculous that I would, you know, schedule her birthday party around her schedule, yeah.

There's one in every crowd, lol.

You started this thread asking if it was an asshole move to schedule the party then. You know damn well the answer but it was easiest for you to do it then so you are going with it. Carry on.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    <snip> Quit being an asshole.
    I lol'd.

At what age do the girl ski racers learn to start teasing out strands of hair on either side of their POC helmets?

I've noticed the pigtails under the goggle strap thing has passed... at least here in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I lol'd.
    Irony. I haz it.

Until about 3-4 years ago, I hadn’t missed a SB since forth grade. I saw every one. The skiing was good and I was thinking I’d rather pull out my own toe nails out than watch the Patriots again, so I skied the afternoon.

What happened? Nothing. Except I had a nice quiet day of excellent pow skiing.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Can we get a sub forum for questions adults should be able to figure out for themselves... and that no one else gives a shit about anyway.

Makes one wonder if adiron will get an invite.

"Some folks may have the luxury to hold out for “the perfect.” But a lot of Americans are hurting right now and they can’t wait for that." - Hillary Clinton

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Can we get a sub forum for questions adults should be able to figure out for themselves... and that no one else gives a shit about anyway.
    I think I posed a very valid question about what age the girl ski racers start pulling out strands of hair. So fuck you and the New England Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    One more post and you can have "the second most posts in this thread" trophy all to yourself. You can do it, man, I have faith in you. Let the world know loud and clear how much you don't give a shit about a tongue in cheek thread in a forum titled the padded room.

Sorry I mistook your tongue in cheek for deeply tedious and inept at life...

Carry on.

(If you could help T'ridge out with his interests in pre-teen hair styles I'm sure he'd be appreciative)

Brit's now behind me.

Still behind.

I knew you had it in you. Maybe a few more posts telling us how this thread bores you, how you wish it wasn't here so you could focus on more important things like kitty stoke and spanish learning apps and sugar daddys? Just so nobody can sneak up on you and take the title.