Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

tlt 8 is a cave but such a cool boot. if only they made it fit like the old ones

Is there a boot in the 1kg class that fits like the Traverse with a lower volume heel?

I have a medium volume forefoot (C width), high instep, lower volume heel, and narrow calves. Atomic Hawx Prime XTD fit me perfectly in the beef boot category. Inbounds I ski a Tecnica Mach 1 MV with a spoiler.

I've been to a bootfitter, but options later in the season were limited. I've tried on:

Atomic Backland Carbon (too narrow in mid and forefoot, but maybe shell molding could solve?)
    Fischer Traverse (too roomy in heel, tons of heel lift)
    Scarpa F1 (felt too low volume all around)

Any others I should take a look at? Planning to try to find a bootfitter who caries other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by gman321 View Post
    Is there a boot in the 1kg class that fits like the Traverse with a lower volume heel?

I have a medium volume forefoot (C width), high instep, lower volume heel, and narrow calves. Atomic Hawx Prime XTD fit me perfectly in the beef boot category. Inbounds I ski a Tecnica Mach 1 MV with a spoiler.

I've been to a bootfitter, but options later in the season were limited. I've tried on:

Atomic Backland Carbon (too narrow in mid and forefoot, but maybe shell molding could solve?)
    Fischer Traverse (too roomy in heel, tons of heel lift)
    Scarpa F1 (felt too low volume all around)

Any others I should take a look at? Planning to try to find a bootfitter who caries other brands.
    It will be difficult to find a boot with a lower volume heel that can also accommodate a high instep. The Quantum Asolo might be worth a try, its pretty narrow but GregL was able to give it some big punches.

When you say the F1 felt too low volume, was that the regular F1 or the F1 LT?

Gman, your foot description sounds like mine, and the F1 is the best fitting AT boot I’ve tried over the years (incl an afternoon at skimo SLC trying on everything). It’s literally the only one I haven’t had to add pads to in the heel/ankle zone. Did you try the next larger size?

Our high insteps rule out a few models.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    What’s the biggest ski it’s reasonable to press with some Alien Rs boots? I just picked up a pair and I’m new to lightweight boots.

What about a 4frnt raven in a 177 (or even 184cm). I’m about 6’2” and 160lbs.

I might just skip the Raven and go with a 1200 gram ski but I’m curious what consensus is.
    I frequently ski 191 renegades with my aliens. All good, especially in the deep snow that warrants bringing out the 122’s in the first place. Zero g 105s/aliens is my daily driver setup and they have held up well for two seasons (150-200 days)

I'm very interested if anyone has info for gman321, although it seems like there is not much hope (sorry gman321).

I just got a used pair of 25.5 Fischer Travers Carbons (~20 days), and I have the following problems:
    - Toes squash the front of the boot in walk mode
    - Too much volume in the ankle - probably attributable in part to the liners being very worn in the ankle - holes developing
    - Noticeable pressure right below the boa buckle, on top of the arch, but no pain at the end of the day
    - Too much volume above toes and in front of arch
    - Minor, but the cuff digs into my calf. Definitely noticeable.

I measure as a 25.5 Mondo, although I know that doesn't mean much when going between brands. My other boot is a 26.5 TLT6 which is too big all around but also too narrow in the mid-foot.

I'm wondering if the toes squashing into the front of my boot may be due to the vast volume above the front half of my foot? In ski mode, they don't touch the front of the boot. I'm a bit torn on whether I should get a new liner for these boots, which I bought for $330, or if I should just go in and get an actual bootfit from the skimoco guys/gal. A $180 liner would get me decently close to the price of a new boot with no guarantees of fixing anything.

If I did get a liner, should I just get the Palau Tour Lite? That seems to get recommended as the substitute, or at least it is actually the substitute for the stock. But then I'm worried it won't fill in enough volume or I will still have toe problems.

I'm leaning towards getting an actual bootfit because that just seems like a good idea for a one-season-old skier, and probably looking for something beefy enough to ski my current powder ski, which is an unmounted Voile Hypercharger. Too bad the 1.3kg boot thread is already dead....

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I'm very interested if anyone has info for gman321, although it seems like there is not much hope (sorry gman321).

I just got a used pair of 25.5 Fischer Travers Carbons (~20 days), and I have the following problems:
    - Toes squash the front of the boot in walk mode
    - Too much volume in the ankle - probably attributable in part to the liners being very worn in the ankle - holes developing
    - Noticeable pressure right below the boa buckle, on top of the arch, but no pain at the end of the day
    - Too much volume above toes and in front of arch
    - Minor, but the cuff digs into my calf. Definitely noticeable.

I measure as a 25.5 Mondo, although I know that doesn't mean much when going between brands. My other boot is a 26.5 TLT6 which is too big all around but also too narrow in the mid-foot.

I'm wondering if the toes squashing into the front of my boot may be due to the vast volume above the front half of my foot? In ski mode, they don't touch the front of the boot. I'm a bit torn on whether I should get a new liner for these boots, which I bought for $330, or if I should just go in and get an actual bootfit from the skimoco guys/gal. A $180 liner would get me decently close to the price of a new boot with no guarantees of fixing anything.
    Hard to vote against going to SkiMo for a proper bootfit. Those guys are awesome.

That said, I hated the stock liner in my Travers. Just way too insubstantial and thin.

I’ve skied my Travers CS 27.5 with both a 27 Tour Wrap and a 27 Pro Tour HV. The Wrap skis a bit better and walks a bit worse. But both were significantly better for my foot than the stock liner. Especially for downhill heel/ankle hold. Are you using a footbed in the stock liner? Even green Superfeet helped improve my fit noticeably as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Hard to vote against going to SkiMo for a proper bootfit. Those guys are awesome.

That said, I hated the stock liner in my Travers. Just way too insubstantial and thin.

I’ve skied my Travers CS 27.5 with both a 27 Tour Wrap and a 27 Pro Tour HV. The Wrap skis a bit better and walks a bit worse. But both were significantly better for my foot than the stock liner. Especially for downhill heel/ankle hold. Are you using a footbed in the stock liner? Even green Superfeet helped improve my fit noticeably as well.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm using a footbed that I swapped over from my other boots.

The Intuitions would be the other obvious option. They do seem more substantial than the Palau liners. Although as I look again, maybe the Tour Lite Pro Evo (???) liner would give me the fill-in that I'm looking for.

I also just got a pair in my normal boot size. I think they run a bit short, so may end up punching the toe a bit.

^or i should say my toes are also hitting the front of the boot, but it's a less than 1 finger shell fit so not unsurprising.

What is the beefiest ski y'all are skiing on light boots?

got some tlt7's that i'm skiing ($200 ebay score) on lowdowns, and i'm pretty sure they'll drive pow skis w/ light bindings just fine (186 bmt 122 w/ alpinists)... less sure they'll get along with the deathwish tours and voyagers for nuking through less than perfect snow

I had originally bought them thinking I'd use them for big days and get a zero g or something for everyday touring, but honestly they ski way better than I thought they would

I’m happy on a 117 waist in my alien RS’s, especially if the snow is good- not as good for skiing really fast/chargy but plenty fun.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    I’m happy on a 117 waist in my alien RS’s, especially if the snow is good- not as good for skiing really fast/chargy but plenty fun.
    I suspect you are a highly skilled and balanced skier - that combination isn't going to work for everyone.

Fair enough; and it definitely gets less fun quick when the snow isn’t good. Certainly not a robust combo with a big sweet spot. Didn’t mean to come across as a humble brag. If lupos were lighter I’d prefer them for those skis!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Well, I found the limit on my Fischer Travers 27s with Tour Wraps and Pulse Lab straps added recently.

It’s a great boot for mellow/moderate touring. But I tried some 10-15 ft cliff drops during a BC hut trip last week on them, and it was really hard to maintain fore/aft balance. Once I got in the backseat on the landings, I rarely could correct my mistake.

Guess I’m in the market for a 1100-1500gm boot that fits my foot and has a bit more stability downhill but still walks well for next year.

Insta clip with some hut trip shenanigans added for good measure . But Travers CS cliff huck at the end.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcHYBJqr...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    Last edited by DGamms; 04-09-2022 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Link added

Just got back from trying on a bunch of the new 1 kg-ish boots. I have a pretty wide foot with big toe bunions, somewhat skinny calfs, but not an enormous instep and so have had a hard time with the previous boots in this category. F1LT was way too narrow and difficult to punch. Travers would have still needed some punching, but I had terrible heel lift just leaning forward. Skorpius instep too low and too narrow.

I have been waiting all year for these new boots to drop because everyone was complaining about the high volume . I wanted something that had a super good ROM for chill skimo racing, but that didn't feel like an absolute noodle on the way down. Previous boots I was using for this were non carbon backland and I often had to check that they were in ski mode because sometimes I wasn't sure...

Tried on dynafit tlt x, Salomon summit, and technica zero g peak. Decided to go with the technica.

Dynafit put the most pressure on my bunion area, but could have certainly been punched for room. The bigger problem is that my heel felt pretty loose. Also while the ski/walk lever is very slick there's kind of a lot of play before it engages. Maybe somewhat softer flex than the other two but I didn't get to try this one side by side with the other two. The blacklight version of this boot might be a little stiffer in theory but the heel hold made me less excited about this one.

Salomon had good heel hold and would have also required a punch for width.

Technica also had good heel hold but surprisingly I didn't feel squeezed for width. The Salomon looks like it has a much wider and more square toe box, but for whatever reason the technica felt better here. I'm going to ski it a few times before deciding if it needs a punch, I might be able to get by without one. Both of these boots flexed pretty similarly in the shop for whatever that's worth. ROM was a bit better for technica in side by side comparison and that was really what I was after. Salomon would have also worked fine I'm sure.

I haven't gotten to ski them yet but they'll mostly be used with some dynafit blacklight pros and sometimes 0g 95s, and I think they will drive either if those just fine.

Edit: also the technica liner seems pretty OK for a light boot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Anyone feel like the 1,145g F1-XT (155g more than F1-LT) is getting too close to the 1,320g ZGTP to justify presumably lower skiing performance? That's a 175g difference.

The 330g difference between F1-LT and the ZGTP seems more worth it for long days.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Anyone feel like the 1,145g F1-XT (155g more than F1-LT) is getting too close to the 1,320g ZGTP to justify presumably lower skiing performance? That's a 175g difference.
    I haven’t skied the XT, but I’d guess its ROM and lack of friction in walk mode would contribute more to its uphill efficiency than its weight. The ZGTP may only be a bit heavier, but it’ll walk way worse, which makes a big difference on a long day.

I tried on the F1 GT which I believe is the same boot as the F1 XT apart from different materials? It walks very well, perhaps not quite as well as the F1 LT but much better than the ZGTP. It walks better than my Skorpius but it fits me worse and has a lower cuff height, and it even felt a bit lower than the F1 LT but maybe that is just because its softer and maybe the F1 XT would feel more powerful.

I just bought a pair of F1 GTs to replace two year old F1 LTs. I can confirm that the boot height is the same. Liners are the same. GT Gaiter is much burlier. Haven’t skied the GT but I thought it actually felt stiffer than the LT on the carpet. Perhaps my LTs are a bit worn out though… With a lowish instep, the buckle makes a big difference to me vs the Boa that I could never get quite tight enough. The tour mode felt nearly identical. The weight difference seemed less than advertised. Not at home right now, but will report back with actual weight comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I tried on the F1 GT which I believe is the same boot as the F1 XT apart from different materials? It walks very well, perhaps not quite as well as the F1 LT but much better than the ZGTP. It walks better than my Skorpius but it fits me worse and has a lower cuff height, and it even felt a bit lower than the F1 LT but maybe that is just because its softer and maybe the F1 XT would feel more powerful.
    My buddy just picked up some Skorpius' to do the Grand Traverse and had been eyeing the F1LT. They look really well made and seem to have addressed most of my qualms with prior La Sportiva boots. I think the pro-deal cost/full-warranty won out over full price/eBay deal on the F1LT in his mind. I am excited to see his thoughts. He will be training on Wildcat Tours and doing the GT on some ZeroGs.

Anyone had bad experiences on the F1LT other than lack of punchability? I was riding the butter soft Hoji Pro Tours for a couple years and gave away my Garmont Radicals (RIP) but needed something with more power transfer and ended up getting some Hoji Free 130s. They have been great but I recognize I am lugging extra weight at the foot with them. At this point, long tours or 7k vert days I use the Pro Tours and a Dynafit Superlight 150. Always curious if I could get the power of the Free 130 in a lighter boot than the Pro Tour without a big time sink in modifications.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    My buddy just picked up some Skorpius' to do the Grand Traverse and had been eyeing the F1LT. They look really well made and seem to have addressed most of my qualms with prior La Sportiva boots. I think the pro-deal cost/full-warranty won out over full price/eBay deal on the F1LT in his mind. I am excited to see his thoughts. He will be training on Wildcat Tours and doing the GT on some ZeroGs.

Anyone had bad experiences on the F1LT other than lack of punchability? I was riding the butter soft Hoji Pro Tours for a couple years and gave away my Garmont Radicals (RIP) but needed something with more power transfer and ended up getting some Hoji Free 130s. They have been great but I recognize I am lugging extra weight at the foot with them. At this point, long tours or 7k vert days I use the Pro Tours and a Dynafit Superlight 150. Always curious if I could get the power of the Free 130 in a lighter boot than the Pro Tour without a big time sink in modifications.
    I have not tried on the Hoji Pro Tour, and I am surprised to hear you found it so soft. I would consider a 1400g boot like the ZeroG Pro Tour, Dynafit Radical Pro, or Fischer Transalp Pro. But recognize that you're talking about 1485g (Hoji pro tour) vs 1655g (Hoji Free 130), so not sure if you want to go lighter than 1400g for your "light" boot. I would suggest the Skorpius if it fits your foot, but you may find it too soft. That said, I think it will walk substantially better than the ZGPT.

As others have said, the 1200-1400g category is filling out. On one side of the spectrum is the ZGPT which is light and stiff but walks fairly poorly. On the other side, is something like the Skorpius, which walks very well but doesn't ski as well. We all dream of the 1400g boot that walks like a Skorpius and skis like a Hoji Free 130, but AFAIK that's not a reality (yet). I am hoping this recent competition in the 1 kg boot category will translate into a new category of 1400g boots that walk much better without losing skiability, but who knows.

FWIW, the GT has so little actual skiing, I would probably pick something closer to a real skimo race boot than the Skorpius.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    FWIW, the GT has so little actual skiing, I would probably pick something closer to a real skimo race boot than the Skorpius.
    Agreed. If you're going thru all the trouble of the GT event its worthwhile to get a proper skimo race boot and perhaps sell it afterwards. If the race can be done on nordic gear any competent skier can get by on skimo race gear.

Said person also wanted a spring skiing/big day boot. And is allergic to hyper-lightweight gear despite having read Benneke's saga.

If I was spending $250 to compete in a uniquely flat skimo race I would try to acquire proper equipment but that's just me.