Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

1kg Boot thread

We’ve got a 300g binding discussion, let’s do light boots.
    I’m on the verge of replacing my old green TLT6’s, the pin sockets are so worn that locked Radical toes can barely hold on. I’ve been running them with power wraps, black and green tongues t-nutted together, and xl voile power straps. So far the Fischer Travers Carbon looks like a contender; backland carbon light with orange tongues was too soft. What’s out there that competes? Maybe I should just look for another pair of 6’s? Wait for 8’s? Preach!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Alien RS?

I went from TLT6P to Fischer Travers Cabon and never looked back. I have thought multiple times about buying a backup pair, and still might, although with now 100+ days and 250k'+ vertical, they're still in good-as-new shape. They are ever so slightly softer than the 6P with the tongue in, but it's pretty close. And the walk mode absolutely destroys the TLT6P, I didn't think it could improve that much. And they're quite warm, transition easy, fit those hybrid bindings like Kingpin/Tecton if that's your thing (not mine but hey whatever), take crampons well, etc etc etc. Best boot I've ever used.

The TLT7P fits super weird in the forefoot/toebox compared to the 6P fwiw (and I hated how they walked), if you are sticking with Dynafit maybe the Speedfit is a nice option? I think that one is basically a cheaper TLT6.

The TLT Speedfit got a non removable tongue and it’s way softer than a TLT6 Performance.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I went from TLT6P to Fischer Travers Cabon and never looked back. I have thought multiple times about buying a backup pair, and still might, although with now 100+ days and 250k'+ vertical, they're still in good-as-new shape. They are ever so slightly softer than the 6P with the tongue in, but it's pretty close. And the walk mode absolutely destroys the TLT6P, I didn't think it could improve that much. And they're quite warm, transition easy, fit those hybrid bindings like Kingpin/Tecton if that's your thing (not mine but hey whatever), take crampons well, etc etc etc. Best boot I've ever used.

The TLT7P fits super weird in the forefoot/toebox compared to the 6P fwiw (and I hated how they walked), if you are sticking with Dynafit maybe the Speedfit is a nice option? I think that one is basically a cheaper TLT6.
    I was drooling over the Travers Carbon this morning while dreaming of a lighter setup. Do you have any frame of reference of what the flex would be compared to other boots out there? Skimo puts them in the same category as an F1. Also, is the flex progressive or brick wallish? Thanks!

If you're talking about PW liners and t-nutting tongues together on the TLT6, maybe what you really want is a 13XX g boot like the ZeroG Tour Pro? (And that would fit better with the 300g binders analogy.)

Otherwise, carbon travers or Alien RS would be my picks. Hopefully Scarpa updates the F1 to have some of the new tech in the Alien lines. But no (stock) boot around 1 kg will be anywhere near as stiff your modded TLT6, but they'll walk much better and transition much quicker.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I was drooling over the Travers Carbon this morning while dreaming of a lighter setup. Do you have any frame of reference of what the flex would be compared to other boots out there? Skimo puts them in the same category as an F1. Also, is the flex progressive or brick wallish? Thanks!
    I'd guess like a 95 flex, at least the way that term is used in this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...odel-(updated)

It is pretty progressive imo, all the carbon in the boot is in the sole to add torsional rigidity or something I guess, the cuff is just plastic (though the ski mode mechanism is a piece of metal that clips on a metal bar). Not brick wallish, certainly nowhere near like the TLT6P was. I can only really compare it to the TLT6P / TLT7P in terms of modern boot flex, and it was a hair less stiff but pretty damn comparable to the 6P, and a bit stiffer than the 7P (imo, but I hated that boot and only skied like 4500' on it so take that with a grain of salt)

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    If you're talking about PW liners and t-nutting tongues together on the TLT6, maybe what you really want is a 13XX g boot like the ZeroG Tour Pro? (And that would fit better with the 300g binders analogy.)

Otherwise, carbon travers or Alien RS would be my picks. Hopefully Scarpa updates the F1 to have some of the new tech in the Alien lines. But no (stock) boot around 1 kg will be anywhere near as stiff your modded TLT6, but they'll walk much better and transition much quicker.
    While all of this is true, his modded TLT6 is also probably a good bit over 1kg

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    The TLT Speedfit got a non removable tongue and it’s way softer than a TLT6 Performance.
    ah bummer. well scrap that then.
    Last edited by mall walker; 01-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Surprisingly, with the tongues and power straps off, just under a kg. Lots of sole rubber missing too. I’m really bummed they are worn out, I really dig em. Anyone else wear out pin sockets?
    Good comparisons getting thrown out, thanks folks. I’m still listening....

Gravity always wins...

Ebay saved search should turn up TLT 6.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Surprisingly, with the tongues and power straps off, just under a kg.
    Doesn't surprise me, but like I said above, it seems like newer 1kg boots employ the logic that moving fast = transitioning fast = no tongue fiddling. Not saying I agree, just that removable tongues seem like they've gone out of style.

Anyone else wear out pin sockets?
    My wife wore hers out on the Zzeros when we first started dating. Dynafit warrantied the boots since they were only 2-3 years old.

Random anecdote: we figured out they were too worn out when she had a ski pop off unexpectedly in a not-quite no fall zone. Fortunately, she kept it together on one ski and we never found out if it's possible to self-arrest with a whippet on ~40-45 deg windboard. It was too firm to really stomp out a platform, so I had to hold her ski so she could get the pins engaged and then we voile strapped her boot to the binder -- it felt like a real bonding moment for me given my experience level at the time but I probably felt a lot scarier to me than it really was.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 01-15-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I’ve been doing the voile strap thing. It does seem like a troubling situation.

Gravity always wins...

And here I thought I was clever using Voile straps as power straps. Light, easy to release, slightly elastic. And you have spares should anything really go to shit.

1kg Boot thread

What are peoples thoughts about the backland carbon vs the travers carbon and alien rs
    Seems the newer fischer and scarpa boots highly regarded in this weight category but the atomic is close. How about ski feel though?

FWIW: looking to replace old beat TLT5p skied both with and without tongues depending on the ski and terrain.

I've skied the backland carbon and fondled alien RS. IMO alien is much better constructed boot. I did not care for the backland.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    What are peoples thoughts about the backland carbon vs the travers carbon and alien rs
    Seems the newer fischer and scarpa boots highly regarded in this weight category but the atomic is close. How about ski feel though?

FWIW: looking to replace old beat TLT5p skied both with and without tongues depending on the ski and terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    What are peoples thoughts about the backland carbon vs the travers carbon and alien rs.
    I considered all three. I really wanted the Alien RS but it was way too low volume and narrow for me. A sweet boot if it fits.

The Backland is time tested but really nothing special.

I went will with Travers and I really like it. It skis slightly above it's weight, the the BOA below and Velcro power strap like "buckle" on the cuff are fast and perfect. And, the lean lock mechanism is basic and no BS.

Alien RS if you have a low volume foot, Travers if you don't

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    I considered all three. I really wanted the Alien RS but it was way too low volume and narrow for me. A sweet boot if it fits.

Alien RS if you have a low volume foot, Travers if you don't
    Haven't bought anything yet, but that's basically the conclusion I came to as well. Really wanted the Alien RS to fit, but doubtful it will even with a good boot fitter trying to punch it. Too narrow in the forefoot and surprisingly loose in the heel (IMHO). Guess I have duck feet. Will be even harder to resist a revamped F1 with the same tech.

photos

Also, based on a few minutes of carpet testing, the Alien felt way stiffer/more powerful than the other two. It felt equivalent to an F1.

Will be even harder to resist a revamped F1 with the same tech.
    The F1 is the best fitting boot I have tried.

The Maestrale are a tad too high volume, Aliens way too low volume and weird, F1 = just right.

Haven't bought anything yet, but that's basically the conclusion I came to as well. Really wanted the Alien RS to fit, but doubtful it will even with a good boot fitter trying to punch it. Too narrow in the forefoot and surprisingly loose in the heel (IMHO). Guess I have duck feet. Will be even harder to resist a revamped F1 with the same tech.
    I had the same experience, my first choice was the Alien RS but the heel hold was woefully poor for me anyway. even cranking the BOA down didn't seem to help much.

1kg Boot thread

The Backland Carbon is the stiffer boot. If you put in a real liner (Intuition ProTour LV), its kind of in between those boots and the new Maestrale RS2. Different class of boot imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The Backland Carbon is the stiffer boot. If you put in a real liner (Intuition ProTour LV), its kind of in between those boots and the new Maestrale RS2. Different class of boot imo.
    The new Blackland doesn’t seem to have a tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    Also, based on a few minutes of carpet testing, the Alien felt way stiffer/more powerful than the other two. It felt equivalent to an F1.
    Teague certainly makes it look like they ski well (scroll through for all the videos): https://www.instagram.com/p/Bszf8CQlhnC/

photos

Sorry for an old bump but related question:

Getting light boots and guess it's between the travers and the alien RS. Love other scarpa boots, although they my maestrale rs 2.0s are too high volume and require a bontex board and a tour wrap to lock my feet in. Skiing 28 maestrales and Cochise 27,5s otherwise without modifications but have required extensive metatarsal punches on other boots in the past. Prefer a tight heel pocket and a wider forefoot.

I have limited accessibility to shops, but have been able to try on the alien in a 27 and 29 and would need the 28. In the 29 the heel pocket was way too big and felt a little tight across the metatarsals. I haven't been able to try the Travers's but am curious if people have found them to have better heel hold? I am fairly sure I can get the aliens to be fine with slight metatarsal punches if I would need them at all, but before I go that route am curious if the Travers might be a better fit?

I've got Alien RS, and pretty much every review I've seen rates it higher than the Travers. With the right bootfitter, you can get some good punches on the RS. If you can get into it, definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by thecazdog View Post
    With the right bootfitter, you can get some good punches on the RS.
    That means one who is willing to ignore Scarpa's specific instructions not to heat or punch the carbon-reinforced scaffo at all . . . they punch OK, but still not anywhere near as well as an F1 or Maestrale.