Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

Banana is going to denali?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

Wildsnow has some good info in their denali TR’s about sizing up for sure.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

RS is not warm, largely bc of the thin/light liners. If you size up the thick liner might make them ski like shit though. I also have F1s, and they are noticeably warmer, but still not enough for AK, at least in my "performance fit".

Denali in early May will be very cold. I was there in late May through mid June and it wasn't too bad, but I was wearing Spantiks, not ski boots.

Honestly, if you're going fast enough that RSs would be the right boot, you'll prob stay warm enough, but this would leave no room for error. If you aren't going to be charging (like from BC to the summit in 12h), take something a little warmer.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Yep, AK it is. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out Wildsnow.

Is it just the liner that makes the F1 warmer than the RS? Or the fact that there's more plastic in the construction. Basically trying to figure out if I should start with a heavier boot to put this setup together, or if it's all in the liner and they're gonna ski like shit anyway, should I start with something really light?

Quote Originally Posted by Backward_Banana View Post
    Yep, AK it is. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out Wildsnow.

Is it just the liner that makes the F1 warmer than the RS? Or the fact that there's more plastic in the construction. Basically trying to figure out if I should start with a heavier boot to put this setup together, or if it's all in the liner and they're gonna ski like shit anyway, should I start with something really light?
    I went at end of May/early June, wore my normal-sized TLT6 with intuitions and was fine. I normally get cold feed too. YMMV, I think I'd probably be ok to do it again in the RS though I would have a lot of concern over the cord failing on that long of a trip, and trying to re-thread/tie it in the cold.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    I'm looking to dip my toe in to the 1000g boot market. (see what I did there!).
    I tried on the Fischer Traverse and like the fit, but I'm not ready to throw down $900 bucks to see if I like driving skinny skis with a feather weight boot.
    I tried on the Traverse CS and understand the Carbon cuff model "CC" has been recalled or is not being made this season?
    I read on Blister that the 17-18-19 model was the same. Am I correct to assume the 19/20 was the year with the model change, with a CS and CC model, and then the CC was recalled, so for 20/21 there is only a CS?
    I can find a lightly used 2018 model to try these out. Is there anything I should look out for on the 2018 model, or any reason I shouldn't try the older used model for less than 1/3 of a new boot.
    I know the normal things to look for like worn inserts and buckles and worn rubber. How did the BOA hold up, or internal gators? anything specific like that to look for?
    Lots of questions, but trying to jump into a few unknowns, like 1000g class and a boot brand I have not dealt with before.
    I pulled the trigger on a pair of these lightly used boots. I made an appointment at a shop to try them on again, but when I got there they didn't have them in stock, and said oh, they are in stock at our other shop, 80 miles away...
    I tried on the Scarpa Alien RS and really liked the fit of them, but I am going to try the Fischers, I hope my memory of their fit is correct. If they dont work out I'll look for a pair of the Alien RS.

So, Hubbster, did you confirm that the CC is out for this season, and only the CS will be available? Kinda hard to know from the Fischer website. They have the recall up to open the site, but then the CC is still featured.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Ya I couldn't get a straight answer. I have a friend (acquaintance) who is a Fischer rep, I text him and his only response was a link to the CC recall. I guess this what you get for not texting him for 2+ years.
    I don't see the CC on the Fischer site only the CS.

I don't see the CC on the Fischer site only the CS
    I guess you're right. I see the CC on the recall opener, then only the CS. I saw a Mike Hattrup video showing the line-up, mostly featuring the CC, and I thought it was on their site.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any strong opinions on the Palau Pro Tour Lite Evo liner or the Intuition pro tour low volume? I've got a new pair of Backland Carbons for work and long traverses and my long skinny feet still have too much wiggle-room so I'm looking for something to take up a little more volume in the boot. I'm not that concerned with more warmth or increased downhill performance, although those will be nice benefits. It's mainly because my left foot is about a half a size larger than my right, so boots that fit my left foot leave my right foot with extra wiggle room. And that wiggle room is giving me a hot spot on my right arch in flatter, rolling terrain. Any suggestions are welcome
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Anyone have any comments RE fit of some of these 1 kg boots? Want to get a spring boot and ideally it would be something something that's narrow heel, wide-ish toes and not too low instep. Sounds like Travers is a good contender, especially since it can be punched more easily, but curious about f1 lt and the skorpius (I know that's not really a 1 kg boot but whatever). Anything else I should be looking at?

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Anyone have any comments RE fit of some of these 1 kg boots? Want to get a spring boot and ideally it would be something something that's narrow heel, wide-ish toes and not too low instep. Sounds like Travers is a good contender, especially since it can be punched more easily, but curious about f1 lt and the skorpius (I know that's not really a 1 kg boot but whatever). Anything else I should be looking at?

The F1 LT sort of fits that bill. Compared to my Alien RS, the toe box is noticeably wider - nearly classic F1 width. That could still be too narrow for some but I was surprised at the difference compared to the RS. In fact I measured the width of the outer toe box on both boots just to double check they’re the same (they are). The heel feels a bit tighter than the RS, although with so little plastic there in the shell I’m not sure it will ever qualify as “narrow” or “tight”. Both boots have a highish instep.

No experience with the other boots.

just spent two days in a tlt7 performance and quite enjoying it. got em for $200 with two days on em soooo hard to complain but my thoughts on fit are - i have a 110mm forefoot and sixth toe that extends pretty far toward my heel can 'wear' them without a punch. Heel is more than snug enough for me.

I had purchased scarpa aliens (the o.g. yellow ones) on cl to see if i could enjoy ultralight boots, and definitely enjoy them. toe box much wider than the scarpa, more room in the instep and a more snug heel fit.

They tour like aliens and ski like my solly mtn explores. before i got them i was thinking i'd always own a beefier 1300-1500g boot just because i like to ski big skis (190 deathwish tours are the everyday rig)... now I'm thinking about just using the tlt. Originally got it just for big spring days but hot damn those weight weeny boots are fun in powder, too

The skorpius has a wide ish forefoot and toebox although I did end up needing to punch across the metatarsals. It also runs short in length. Heel isn't super tight, but i prefer boots with an instep buckle due to a narrow heel and low instep. I tried alien RS s and felt like i wasn't going to get the wide ish heel and narrower forefoot to work. I do wish I'd had a chance to try the fischers though, seems like they may even have been a better fit than the skorpius.

Thanks all, interesting data points, especially the F1 LT. I keep hearing that it is wider than the alien despite supposedly having the same lower, so more confirmation there. Guess I should really find somewhere that carries some of these to try some of them on. Especially for the carbon boots I'd definitely prefer to get a good fit without punching.

Thanks all, interesting data points, especially the F1 LT. I keep hearing that it is wider than the alien despite supposedly having the same lower, so more confirmation there. Guess I should really find somewhere that carries some of these to try some of them on. Especially for the carbon boots I'd definitely prefer to get a good fit without punching.
    The boot board in the forefoot of the F1LT is dropped a few mm relative to the Alien RS, so there's a little more room there. I was happy with the fit of the RS so it took a little fiddling to get things right in the F1LT, but it's fine. Skis way way way better, I could never get the slop out of the system with the cords, and hated almost everything about the cord lock. I love them, even though fully fitted to my feet they're about 1300g for a 29.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Anybody running custom cork insoles in their F1 LTs? I assume it isn't a terrible idea.

FWIW, I'm happy so far with my F1 LTs. But my biggest complaint is that they are significantly shorter (more than a centimeter) than my Maestrale RSs in the same size, foiling my plan to use the two sets of boots interchangeably on the same skis.

I could not get into a 28 alien rs at all, bought a 29 f1lt that was wayyyy too big, returned for a 28 f1 lt that will work. 28 f1lt is significantly more voluminous in the mid and forefoot IME, while maintaining reasonably low volume cuff. Both the f1lt and alien rs have kinda big heel pockets, though...

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    FWIW, I'm happy so far with my F1 LTs. But my biggest complaint is that they are significantly shorter (more than a centimeter) than my Maestrale RSs in the same size, foiling my plan to use the two sets of boots interchangeably on the same skis.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver(1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	365761
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Driver(1).jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	158.1 KB 
ID:	365761
    I may lack the mechanical genius of your average TGR Tech Talk denizen , but I've tried adjusting the bindings. I'd have to remount the bindings on my powder skis. I can just barely pull this off on my skinnier skis, but the resulting gap is about 8 mm, which probably isn't super safe. The length difference between the two boots isn't slight.

Quote Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
    I could not get into a 28 alien rs at all, bought a 29 f1lt that was wayyyy too big, returned for a 28 f1 lt that will work. 28 f1lt is significantly more voluminous in the mid and forefoot IME, while maintaining reasonably low volume cuff. Both the f1lt and alien rs have kinda big heel pockets, though...
    Good info about the heel, anyone have thoughts on the Fischer heel?

I guess for comparison I have been skiing a mango vintage Maestrale for a while and find the toes about as narrow as I can go without a punch, instep more or less fine, and heel pretty roomy. Seems like Scarpa likes big heels.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    I may lack the mechanical genius of your average TGR Tech Talk denizen , but I've tried adjusting the bindings. I'd have to remount the bindings on my powder skis. I can just barely pull this off on my skinnier skis, but the resulting gap is about 8 mm, which probably isn't super safe. The length difference between the two boots isn't slight.
    Well that definitely won't work. I spent probably an hour and a half working around hole conflicts to put some ATKs on a pair of skis that had xenics on before to make sure I could use my little boots (310) and big boots (332) with them...was a huge pain but worth it to have the flexibility.
    Prove me wrong."

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Good info about the heel, anyone have thoughts on the Fischer heel?

I guess for comparison I have been skiing a mango vintage Maestrale for a while and find the toes about as narrow as I can go without a punch, instep more or less fine, and heel pretty roomy. Seems like Scarpa likes big heels.
    Yeah, for more info: the f1lt in 28 has a bigger heel than the zgtp in 27 by a fair bit. Might have to do with the cutaway in the back of the scaffo of the f1 lt, the zgtp has a traditional rear alpine boot design while the scaffo of the f1lt stops right around where a hightop sneaker would. Obviously pretty different designs for different use cases but hopefully useful.

I do 80% of my touring on the 2015-2019 Atomic Backland Carbons, and after about 150 days they're nearing end of life (might get another full season out of them if I'm lucky, or another ~50 days). Any recommendations on a worthy successor? Criteria:

- Must ski at least as well as the 2015-2019 Backland Carbons (w/ Booster strap and Intuition Pro Tour liner). I think this rules out the new '20-'21 Backland Carbons and maybe also the Scarpa F1 LT.
    - Must walk 80–90% as well as the '15-'19 Backland Carbons without tongues. Friction-free movement more important than total range of movement.
    - Less fiddle factor than the old Backlands would be nice
    - Available in a size 24.5, heat-moldable or punchable to accommodate wide 105mm feet. Ideally, a low-volume heel/ankle area (i.e. a little more snug around the achilles than the '15-'19 Backlands).
    - Doesn't need to be compatible with Shift/Kingpin/Tecton

What should be on my radar?

Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I do 80% of my touring on the 2015-2019 Atomic Backland Carbons, and after about 150 days they're nearing end of life (might get another full season out of them if I'm lucky, or another ~50 days). Any recommendations on a worthy successor? Criteria:

- Must ski at least as well as the 2015-2019 Backland Carbons (w/ Booster strap and Intuition Pro Tour liner). I think this rules out the new '20-'21 Backland Carbons and maybe also the Scarpa F1 LT.
    - Must walk 80–90% as well as the '15-'19 Backland Carbons without tongues. Friction-free movement more important than total range of movement.
    - Less fiddle factor than the old Backlands would be nice
    - Available in a size 24.5, heat-moldable or punchable to accommodate wide 105mm feet. Ideally, a low-volume heel/ankle area (i.e. a little more snug around the achilles than the '15-'19 Backlands).
    - Doesn't need to be compatible with Shift/Kingpin/Tecton

What should be on my radar?
    I’m loving my Dalbello Quantum Asolo Factory’s. Says non-punchable but gregL has done it.