Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

1kg Boot thread

[mention]gregL[/mention]
    Wondering if you’ve been getting out on the dalbello quantum asolo factory boots and had any more comments on ski performance to share?
    Particularly vs the backland carbon that I know you’ve used?
    Thanks
    Last edited by dcpnz; 04-06-2020 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Fix my brain fart : skis —> boots

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Wondering if you’ve been getting out on the dalbello quantum asolo factory skis and had any more comments on ski performance to share?
    Particularly vs the backland carbon that I know you’ve used?
    Thanks
    Boots, right? I only have 3 days on them so far. The last week or two I've been skiing in my Zero G Tour Pros with wider skis, as we've had powder to ski if you know how to access it without using Forest Service land. I'll get back on them as soon as it is corn season and the volcanoes open up again.

Prelimary impressions are that the Quantum Asolo tours a fair amount better, especially as I leave the tongues in to skin with the Backland Carbons. Not sure about the skiing yet, I was pretty happy with the Atomics after adding a wider power strap from the Hawx Ultra XTD.

^^ yeah, boots

Thanks.
    I've been looking to pick up backland carbons for the lightweight slot in the boot quiver but now I'm quite intrigued by these boots for some reason.

So I ordered some size 27 Sportiva Skorpius, which I returned unused because I didn't want to deal with bootfitting during covid. I tried them for a while side by side with my well-used 26 Vulcans using the same broken-in 26 Intuition pro tour LV liners.

But a least on the carpet, they are DOPE. They flex as good or better than the Vulcan without the tongue, both in terms of progressiveness and stiffness in the forward direction. The front cuff is quite a bit higher than the Vulcan, which is awesome. Can't really test lateral or rearward stiffness without skiing them. Walk mode is FAR superior to the vulcan, and I assume what little friction there is will improve slightly after skinning a bit.

They are a fairly anatomic fit (at least for my foot) -- narrower midfoot than across the met heads, and relatively narrow heel. I had a little heel lift on the right foot, but that might be solved with some padding or it might not be an issue at all, hard to tell. I definitely need a fair amount of punching for width, but that's true for basically every boot that fits reasonably well.

I am definitely planning to purchase a pair.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    So I ordered some size 27 Sportiva Skorpius, which I returned unused because I didn't want to deal with bootfitting during covid. I tried them for a while side by side with my well-used 26 Vulcans using the same broken-in 26 Intuition pro tour LV liners.

But a least on the carpet, they are DOPE. They flex as good or better than the Vulcan without the tongue, both in terms of progressiveness and stiffness in the forward direction. The front cuff is quite a bit higher than the Vulcan, which is awesome. Can't really test lateral or rearward stiffness without skiing them. Walk mode is FAR superior to the vulcan, and I assume what little friction there is will improve slightly after skinning a bit.

They are a fairly anatomic fit (at least for my foot) -- narrower midfoot than across the met heads, and relatively narrow heel. I had a little heel lift on the right foot, but that might be solved with some padding or it might not be an issue at all, hard to tell. I definitely need a fair amount of punching for width, but that's true for basically every boot that fits reasonably well.

I am definitely planning to purchase a pair.
    What is the volume for the instep? This boot sounds awesome for a lightweight touring boot. I tried the Atomic Backland Carbon but the instep was too high and the Boa didn't do much to tighten it down.

I'd say similar to the Vulcan, maybe a little higher, but I'm not particularly sensitive to instep height (either a little high or a little low), unless it's super low.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 04-07-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Sort of(?) relevant to this thread given the mods Cody does (even if they're not weight-weenie-sh)

For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

I found a cheap enough pair of Alien RS’s, so I’m going to try them out. I wanted to wait for the F1lt, but fit concerns etc got me to pull the trigger. I’ll be jealous when the F1’s hit in the fall, but pretty stoked to try the Aliens for spring stuff. Appropriately safe a reasonable of course.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Gravity always wins...

F1LT review up on wildsnow.

Overall I would call this boot a super Alien rather than a FL LT… It walks like an Alien, does not look or feel like a traditional ski boot and still has the Alien marking on the rubber sole…Super Alien.
    My takeaway was that it is an upgrade to the current Alien but ain’t directly comparable to the F1. So pretty much as expected.

weird review

making comparisons to alien without ever having skied the alien.
    lots of rad photos in extreme places showing how much of an uber hard guy he is, though

Yeah I reread it and I guess he’s worn and walked in Aliens but hasn’t skied them?

Interesting mix of useful and otherwise. Seems like maybe the fit isn’t too much different after all, I guess ill ski the RS for the spring and see if I need more. I’m planning to load up on dyneema cord and keep a close eye on it, wouldn’t want to be on Denali without a fix.

At least they got somebody who’d skied it plenty; seems like he turned up a few weak points.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    weird review

making comparisons to alien without ever having skied the alien.
    lots of rad photos in extreme places showing how much of an uber hard guy he is, though
    Totally weird tone, especially for wildsnow.

Ok, cool your buddies aliens broke in the alaska range and on the grand Teton...Will they hold up for us mere mortals. And what was that shit about how part of his season is full seasons for most?

I've been waiting for the wildsnow review of this boot, but think I'm throwing in the towel on that site. We need a Lee Lau review!

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post

Ok, cool your buddies aliens broke in the alaska range and on the grand Teton...Will they hold up for us mere mortals. And what was that shit about how part of his season is full seasons for most?

I've been waiting for the wildsnow review of this boot, but think I'm throwing in the towel on that site. We need a Lee Lau review!
    "In terms of numbers for vertical/ mileage just assume I skied them more in the last few weeks than most will do in a season"
    Dude probably guides with a my life is better than your vacation sticker on his helmet... Insufferable twat.

I think lee only reviews real ski boots not bedroom slippers
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    "In terms of numbers for vertical/ mileage just assume I skied them more in the last few weeks than most will do in a season"
    Dude probably guides with a my life is better than your vacation sticker on his helmet... Insufferable twat.
    he's exum.
    all you need to know

who hasnt heard the joke

how do you tell if someone is a ski guide ?

you don't have to ... he will tell you
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

And what was that shit about how part of his season is full seasons for most?
    That was the truth.

That dude skis at a frequency and gnarl factor that is in the 1%. Maybe 0.25%. Isn’t on social media, and doesn’t strike me as a guy who’s got a spreadsheet to tally his vert/mileage. Maybe he does and thought it’d sound pretentious to tell you exactly how much vert he’s logged on the boots.

I took it more as “I don’t track this stuff closely so you’ll just have to trust that I get out a lot.”

Review could’ve been better, sure. Strange that so many are getting hung up on perceived radness slights. “IS THIS GUY SAYING HE SKIS MORE THAN ME AND MY FRIENDS?!??!” Yeah, he is. It’s almost certainly true don’t take it personally.

^Haha. Ok, fair enough. Point taken.

The tone of the piece just struck me as odd for wildsnow, but it was still by far the most in-depth review i've read yet so I also guess the tone of my original post was also bit off, probably from latent frustration in the home office, sorry.

I am curious if people are finding the f1 LT appreciably wider than the alien in the metatarsal area? That was what made me hesitant to fully invest in the alien...
    Last edited by NWFlow; 04-16-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Another Alien RS question, sorry if it’s already been covered- anybody have a source for bulk dyneema cord? I’d like to carry spare cord, but the price seems high for the short pieces on scarpa’s site.
    I know its very stout dyneema though, so if the scarpa stuff is best I’ll do it.

Gravity always wins...

I’ve never had a problem with the cord, over a lot of miles. I’ve tied a little backup knot in case the cord slips through the clamp but has rarely been needed. I’m not too concerned about a field failure - the ski/walk lever will still work, and a voile strap or 2 will provide plenty of upper cuff support instead of the cord, transitions will be just a little slower.

main thing is to loctite the nut/bolt around which the walk ski lever pivots, and get a spare or 2 from the hardware store.

and always have voile straps

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    and always have voile straps
    this is essential advice no matter what boot you have

For sure! I always have two of the 18” xl voiles for power straps, and a handful of others for just in case.

Gravity always wins...

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    For sure! I always have two of the 18” xl voiles for power straps, and a handful of others for just in case.

since a boa failure that I didnt want to fix a few weeks ago, one of my boots has a voile strap threaded through the end of the walk ski lever, and when in ski mode i tighten it over my ankle/instep. the strap is lighter than the boa hardware i removed, when I’m less lazy Im gonna cut all boa stuff out of both boots and be full time voile

Winter is on in UT!!

Added some Pulse Lab straps to the Fischer Travers CS this week. Tried one boot with the Pulse Lab strap engaged and the other boot without. Felt like it added another 10pts of forward flex stiffness or so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E5192706-9037-4D61-AE49-58BB76DC1682.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	639.2 KB 
ID:	347082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C45DFE85-44FF-4A41-BAC5-554686AA3160.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	441.0 KB 
ID:	347083

For me, the Travers CS + TourWrap + foot bed + Pulse Lab straps is a great combo. Walks fine uphill for the Wasatch (where max ROM for flat approaches rarely applies) and drives 120mm underfoot skis downhill just fine too (even in the mix of pow and manmade snow today at Alta).

Not sure why the photos came out sideways... meh