Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

I was shopping around this winter a bit. My foot is very average overall but has a high instep.

Zero G PT— almost impossible to get on my foot, even when I went up to a 29.5 which had 3 fingers of space in shell fit. Just totally unworkable, which bummed me out

Travers C— what an awesome boot. Had that great overall fit of the F1 — narrowish but not too narrow heel pocket, and the vertical space in forefoot was perfect. Not enough beef to drive my ZG 108s but if I see a pair on sale I may buy them to complement my F1 that I ended up purchasing.

Backland Carbon — ok fit, on the narrow side, could use more instep room. Would’ve taken some boot surgery to work.

La Sportiva Solar — great fit, and that front cable assembly cleverly attaches far back at ankle to hold down your foot well during skinning. Side by side testing with the F1 though the F1 fwd flex felt more progressive (ie got noticeably firmer as you drove fwd).

Ended up getting a pair of F1 80s on sale for $400. When in doubt, buy the red ones.

PS sorry to mix in 1.3 kg boots in here but since some of you did already I figured why not.

Good stuff all.

As I understand it, the Skorpius is basically a stiffer Solar, using carbon-infused grilamid vs regular grilamid.

Really too bad the Travers cc was recalled as it really does seem like the best option for me.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by trogdortheburninator View Post
    I have really low vol feet, and hate high insteps boots. For the backland carbon, I agree with above that stock liner is too soft. To make it fit I was adding multiple layers of foam on top, plus two shims on the bottom. I replaced the stock liner with a maestrale intuition liner and now get a good fit and better ski performance without a lot of extra padding. On the skorpius I tested last year, I used an alien RS liner with a thick insole + lots of foam padding to deal with instep volume issues. Shell wise, I think skorpius and BL carbon are great.
    Yeah, the Backland with an Intuition Pro Tour low volume skis so much better and doesn't weigh that much more.

I dipped my toe into this category for the first time this year and it’s definitely taken some adjusting to but overall I’m glad I did. I went with X-Alps and am very happy with the ski performance on my ZeroG 85s but less so on my V6s (older non-hyper version). I use them in powder ok but in firm or inconsistent snow I just want more boot. My touring boots are now MTN Explores (26.5) and the X-Alps (27.5). The fit is similar and the only work that I had done to either shell was slightly widening the clog opening on the left side of the right boot because it was digging into a spot right above my ankle on my right leg while touring. Between the shell work and keeping the lower buckle looser I can now tour comfortably. I don’t think this is a common issue but I have chronic issues with that ankle and I think it’s somewhat permanently swollen.

I tried on a 2018 atomic backland carbon (28.5) yesterday.. the boot fit okay, and flex was stiff enough, but the shin support felt like a thin metal band... leaning in, the pressure was focused on a 1cm tall area digging into my shin.

Is this how the boot feels for others? Is this typical for 1000g uphill centric boots?

Is the Scarpa F1 / Dalbello Quantum any better?

----

I have a mid-high instep, 27.5 length, but often 28.5s fit my instep better. 6'2" 200lbs and athletic 45y/o, new to touring. Alpine Boot is a Dalbello Pantera 120 27.5. Mostly I've been looking at ~1500g boots...

ZGPT 28.5. cuff felt 1000x better than Backland and the walk seemed good. I like the buckle mechanics. Though unfortunately it bit my instep and my heel swam, footboard tightened up the heel made the instep more painful. didn't have 27.5, would be my length, but i expect instep would be worse.

HAWX XTD 130 27.5, i couldn't get my foot in the shell even without a liner. Looking for 120-28.5, though i'm not hopeful it'll work.

Dalbello Lupo Air 27.5 had equally good walk freedom to Backland, with much better shin support - though leaning in the shin pressure still had a pressure point. I also had trouble getting the ankle strap clamped down snugly because of the way their ratchet buckles work. It needs a longer lever or a snowboard style tightening ratchet.

Maestrale XT 28.5 was a comfy fit, less walk friction than ZGPT, though 28.5 was a bit long, and I find it kind of fugly and clunky. Trying to find a 28/27.5 XT/RS, since these are common go-to boots.

Hoji Pro Tour 27.5 was too cramped in the toe and instep. 28.5 fit pretty well. 28 would probably be perfect, but hard to find in the US. This and the XT have been the best fitting boots. Though if I'm not a fan of the speed nose. Trying to find a Hoji Free in my size.

... I'm getting so frustrated trying to find these boots in stores (mid season), that I've considered just online ordering a Hoji Free or Maestrale RS in 28, because I'm pretty sure either those boots would work pretty well. But I hate to buy something without ever putting it on my feet.
    Last edited by Dave_SF; 03-11-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^ Have you tried bontex shims for instep volume?
    If I'm paying $700 for a pair of boots, I'd rather not have to use band aid fixes like the shims (I have a whole assortment of them in my workshop). As it turns out, Scarpas just get along with my feet better than any other brand.

I’m looking for a dedicated touring boot. Hopefully more or less pretty lightweight. I do prioritize performance as I intend to ski hard in these. I currently run a 2018 soloman Xmax in bounds and these fit good. Size 28. They were not heat molded, i run the stock fitment and have never been punched. If anything they could be a slightly tighter fit volume wise but mainly in the forefoot. I have pretty skinny ankles and lower leg area (but normalish calves). Any recommendations on boots that may fit similar to my x max and perform well on both the up and down? I have done my research but am looking to hear responses based on my current boot. Thanks a ton.

Edit: has anyone ran Cody townsends “le send” sock? I am currently getting some beginning stages of blisters forming with my current backcountry boots when going on longer tours (Lange xt, fitment on me is is horrible). Was considering using the sock as a temp fix to help alleviate blisters forming

Quote Originally Posted by morphintoskittle View Post
    : has anyone ran Cody townsends “le send” sock? I am currently getting some beginning stages of blisters forming with my current backcountry boots when going on longer tours (Lange xt, fitment on me is is horrible). Was considering using the sock as a temp fix to help alleviate blisters forming
    At least for me, the Dissent Ski Pro Tour Thin Nano and whatever else is in the crazy long name is much better than the Le Send. It solved all my blister issues. The Le Send sock isn’t bad but does still give me some blisters and is also too thick for my liking.

1kg Boot thread

I haven’t tried Cody’s socks, but those Dissents are great. I have 3 pair, wife has 2, and won’t switch unless I get a free pair of something else to demo. We like them specifically because they fit so well that any friction occurs between the sock and the boot, so our (minor) blister problems went away.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Bought some dissent pro tour socks! Thanks for the input guys. Still looking for recommendations on tour oriented low volume boots. Thanks

Still looking for recommendations on tour oriented low volume boots. Thanks
    Well since this is the 1kg boot thread and the Scarpa Alien RS is low volume and about 1 kg, that would be my recommendation.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I just bought a pair of scarpa F1's - they are maybe a half size too big at 27.5 but the right dimension for my high arch/top of foot. Makes for roomy toes.

Will probably need some specific fitting done but for now gotta get out on the slopes with em.

Well since this is the 1kg boot thread and the Scarpa Alien RS is low volume and about 1 kg, that would be my recommendation.
    Once you go alien, it’s hard to go anywhere else. Provided you stay in the front of the boot, even at 6’ and 210lbs I can ski them pretty damn hard in consistent conditions. The one caveat is that they do wear out. The liners will get shredded and the gaiter will wear through eventually where it’s bonded to the clog. That being said, I’m on my third pair and can’t imagine wanting anything else.

The out of the box fit is super tight for my somewhat low volume foot, but a heat mold and a couple days of skiing have them feeling like running shoes. Once they’re broken in, I can put them on at the house, drive to the trailhead in them, ski all day and drive back in perfect comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    If I'm paying $700 for a pair of boots, I'd rather not have to use band aid fixes like the shims (I have a whole assortment of them in my workshop). As it turns out, Scarpas just get along with my feet better than any other brand.
    How are bontex shims a bandaid fix - any more than molding liners or having custom footbeds made?

Having said that, I wouldn't expect to fix my ankle/heel volume issue in the previous generation Maestrales with shims.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    How are bontex shims a bandaid fix - any more than molding liners or having custom footbeds made?

Having said that, I wouldn't expect to fix my ankle/heel volume issue in the previous generation Maestrales with shims.

... Thom
    I was going to say some version of this. I’ve never not heavily modified any boot I’ve had, and we’re talking a dozen boots.

Bought some dissent pro tour socks! Thanks for the input guys. Still looking for recommendations on tour oriented low volume boots. Thanks
    Jessie approves.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	319865

I think MNIAW is saying that you should pick the shell that best fits your foot. IMHO, any fix that involves taking up more volume is a bandaid fix compared to having a shell that fits correctly. This isn't quite the same as fixes that involve making volume. If you can find a shell that fits better (Scarpa fits him), then why bother trying to take up volume?

Now, one thing that's nice about the bontex shims, compared to other things that take up volume like padding the heel or going to a thicker liner is that bontex shims don't compress over time.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    Once you go alien, it’s hard to go anywhere else. Provided you stay in the front of the boot, even at 6’ and 210lbs I can ski them pretty damn hard in consistent conditions. The one caveat is that they do wear out. The liners will get shredded and the gaiter will wear through eventually where it’s bonded to the clog. That being said, I’m on my third pair and can’t imagine wanting anything else.

The out of the box fit is super tight for my somewhat low volume foot, but a heat mold and a couple days of skiing have them feeling like running shoes. Once they’re broken in, I can put them on at the house, drive to the trailhead in them, ski all day and drive back in perfect comfort.
    agree word for word, even the 3rd pair part.
    If you use them a lot, expect to wear them out.

Very interested to see if the new F1 LT is a little more durable, especially the gaiter changes.

I think MNIAW is saying that you should pick the shell that best fits your foot. IMHO, any fix that involves taking up more volume is a bandaid fix compared to having a shell that fits correctly. This isn't quite the same as fixes that involve making volume. If you can find a shell that fits better (Scarpa fits him), then why bother trying to take up volume?

Now, one thing that's nice about the bontex shims, compared to other things that take up volume like padding the heel or going to a thicker liner is that bontex shims don't compress over time.
    This is obviously a slippery slope. Since boots shells span a full size, it could be argued that the manufacturer taking up space for the smaller half size is employing a bandaid fix. Maybe they mis-sized that smaller half size with either the footbed or a liner that wasn't high enough volume. Would adding a shim in this instance be a bandaid?

Is going to a slightly higher volume liner a bandaid fix? Well, I'd prefer a closer shell fit, so for me, I'd say yes, and yup, bontex won't compress over time the way a thicker liner would, so there's that.

At the end of the day, that shell with the added bontex shim just might be the best match for your foot ... or not, and that was my main point.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-12-2020 at 01:05 AM.
    Galibier Design

Since boots shells span a full size, it could be argued that the manufacturer taking up space for the smaller half size is employing a bandaid fix. Maybe they mis-sized that smaller half size with either the footbed or a liner that wasn't high enough volume. Would adding a shim in this instance be a bandaid?
    I don't think manufacturers make half sizes any different than their full sizes these days. Liners, footbeds, etc, are all the same nowadays, I think.

At the end of the day, that shell with the added bontex shim just might be the best match for your foot ... or not, and that was my main point.
    And it's a good one. But if you can find a better fit without a bontex shim, then more power to ya.

photos

I know this isn’t a sock thread, but I’ll put in one more vote for Dissent Pro Fit Thin Nano Tour socks. Significant improvement for me over the SmartWool and Darn Tough options I’ve tried in the past for touring.

For those with very skinny heels/ankles/calves, what is the 1kg boot hierarchy for shell volume in the heel/ankle?

Fischer Travers CS vs Alien RS vs new Backland Carbon vs TLT 8 vs F1?

I know it's not 1kg, it's 1.3kg but has anyone skied the Procline AR Carbon?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

And it's a good one. But if you can find a better fit without a bontex shim, then more power to ya.
    Of course, who's to say that on the design board, they wrestled over the thickness of the boot board, and ultimately shaved it down by the thickness of a Bontex shim ;-)

On another note, I'm waiting on @mall walker's extended use comparo of his ZGTPs after living with Traverse Carbons for a while. His initial comments about the Zero Gs were provocative.

With the current state of affairs (and my budget), this is a next year issue.

I'm seeing (for me) a key benefit of this lighter boot class' range of motion is their EASE of that range - being able to articulate your ankle when having to 3rd class some dicey rock (and not so much when latched into your skis). I reserve the right to be wrong ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    I know it's not 1kg, it's 1.3kg but has anyone skied the Procline AR Carbon?
    I thought it toured great but was never able to mesh with it on the downhill. Combination of too much ramp and the shell deflecting heavily when loaded; I fixed the ramp by adding 4mm of cork under the ball of the foot but they still didn't ski well for me. When Salomon took over the design and brought out the S/Lab X-Alp, they added stiffening ribs to the shell to address this, but I haven't skied it. Main attraction is the dirt cheap price on evo.com - if you want to use it as an ice climbing boot, it would be a killer deal.