Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    That means one who is willing to ignore Scarpa's specific instructions not to heat or punch the carbon-reinforced scaffo at all . . . they punch OK, but still not anywhere near as well as an F1 or Maestrale.
    Yeah that's my concern. The work wouldn't be too substantial, but it's just stressing me to buy the boots site unseen. Guess I should just wait.

Quote Originally Posted by riff View Post
    Anyone else wear out pin sockets? Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I've seen the pin sockets worn in a coupla buddies high mileage boots. In their boots the specific issue was the sockets were notched/grooved vertically in the hole...can't recall exactly at what part of the radius; I think it was the bottom. I suspected it was due to inconsistent clearing of ice/packed snow in toepiece so that after stepping into bindings, there was enough play in the interface during enough ski tours to wear that groove. In their cases the symptom was premature binding release at toe.

Just curious; is the wear pattern your boots have similar to this, or a different wear pattern issue?
    Master of mediocrity.

Just before stomping into the heel I ALWAYS move the ski back and forth a few times on the snow

Pick up the ski and looking from the side you will see slots in the pin at 3 and 9 o'clock which auger out smoo from the boot sockets when the boot is moved,

the slots can't be seen looking down from above & many users don't know about them or what they do

This part of the down ritual may look funny but my skis never pre-release
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    I have limited accessibility to shops, but have been able to try on the alien in a 27 and 29 and would need the 28. In the 29 the heel pocket was way too big and felt a little tight across the metatarsals. I haven't been able to try the Travers's but am curious if people have found them to have better heel hold? I am fairly sure I can get the aliens to be fine with slight metatarsal punches if I would need them at all, but before I go that route am curious if the Travers might be a better fit?
    I went with the Travers over the Alien RS because of the inadequate heel hold in the RS. For my foot, the Travers is great everywhere including the heel. That's just one data point and ymmv of course. I've also been thrilled with the boots, which took over 400k' of climbing last year and are still in great shape.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I went with the Travers over the Alien RS because of the inadequate heel hold in the RS. For my foot, the Travers is great everywhere including the heel. That's just one data point and ymmv of course. I've also been thrilled with the boots, which took over 400k' of climbing last year and are still in great shape.
    Yeah, thanks, I'd seen your posts earlier in this and other threads and was hoping you'd chime in. In general, I don't care if boots are bit baggy out beyond the midfoot but hate a loose heel pocket. Do you feel that instep on the Travers was lower than on the Alien?

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Yeah, thanks, I'd seen your posts earlier in this and other threads and was hoping you'd chime in. In general, I don't care if boots are bit baggy out beyond the midfoot but hate a loose heel pocket. Do you feel that instep on the Travers was lower than on the Alien?
    Hmm... I don't honestly recall the Alien instep. I do recall thinking that the way the BOA closed (directly on top of your foot) was less comfortable when tightened than the way the Travers closed, but it's been a while since I tried them on honestly. Mostly it was the baggy heel, on my foot anyway.

A longtime TLT 5P and 6P lover. I buy every nice pair in my size. I have one pair of MTNs that I use for the mellowest and earliest season, just to save wear on my other boots- a 5P and 6P. Have never found a better fit:flex:tour ratio in any other boot. And lord have I tried.
    Mtn lab
    Hawx xtd
    Vulcan
    ZGTP

So if anyone has other ideas. Liking the idea of trying a Fischer. Except Iíd want stiffness/downhill feel
    To be a touch better not worse. Last scarpa I owned was 1st gen mastrale.

No experience with the Fischer Travers, but like I posted in a different thread, I tried on the new Atomic Backland Carbon boots and was impressed. No longer need tongues, ROM walk mode was frictionless and awesome, BOA for lower seemed nice, legit 100-110 flex, nice power strap, around 1100gm in a 27.5.

I havenít tried them but thereís a new carbon-cuffed Travers this season, might add some stiffness. Iím too happy to bother with the expense to upgrade but when my current ones eventually die Iíll certainly at least give the CC a try.