Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Probe & Shovel ?s

My wife needs some new stuff. Suggestions for:

Mid sized D handle shovel

Probe

I can't really touch and feel many of the options around here. My experience is that some products are just much better thought out than others.

If you have anything you want to sell, let me know.

Thanks

voile telepro

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    voile telepro
    Its a good classic shovel. The neck design doesn't fit in a lot of packs. I prefer the G3 AviTech.

Keep the suggestions coming.

Shovel = metal and big.

The skimo folks have done a disservice to the BC ski community with all these tea spoon sized ultralight weight shovels.

Probe = at least 3 meters long.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Its a good classic shovel. The neck design doesn't fit in a lot of packs. I prefer the G3 AviTech.

Keep the suggestions coming.
    sounds like she needs new pack too

Black Diamond deploy 3 shovel is a nice option. Compacts real nice and fits great in most packs. Probes, pretty much anything that is 3+ meters (i.e. BCA/BD/G3, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by turbomike15 View Post
    sounds like she needs new pack too
    Needs and wants. My pack is a 42L and the Voile is a pain in the ass in it's tool compartment.

Shovel = metal and big.
    No about metal and not small. Shitty shovels pre-date touring fast with dick suits on by a couple decades. See Life Link.

Black Diamond deploy 3 shovel is a nice option
    T handle + mittens = stupid

I'm a G3 guy because their shit has just straight worked for me for a couple of decades. I'm just trying to get a feel on if anything is better which is of course subjective.

On the shovel side, the D handle is really limiting.

Hoe mode can be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Still loving my old BD Guide 320 probe fwiw. I like the ones Ortovox makes too, but can't justify the cost to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Hoe mode can be nice.
    Agreed. Can it be had with D handle.

Agreed. Can it be had with D handle.
    https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co....html#start=36

Not a D handle but allows for a small gloved hand and has hoe mode - https://backcountryaccess.com/produc...lanche-shovel/

Probe & Shovel ?s

I had a Voilé then a G3 probe and a buddy gave me the new (at the time), K2 probe. That thing is wicked fast. Throw it out, pull till it clicks, done. No tightening etc. Maybe others have switched to this design? I bought a second one for my wife right after that. I also like the way it folds around the handle for storage.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I had a Voilé then a G3 probe and a buddy gave me the new (at the time), K2 probe. That thing is wicked fast. Throw it out, pull till it clicks, done. No tightening etc. Maybe others have switched to this design? I bought a second one for my wife right after that. I also like the way it folds around the handle for storage.
    Drugs Danny?

This is so TGR. You don't want that! Links to products not yet available.

Probe & Shovel ?s

Every day.

Ortovox Kodiak shovel. Real D-handle, hoe mode, blade packs compactly, simple design. IMO best shovel currently on the market.
    BD Evac shovel also has D and hoe, but I think the Ortovox design is better (more obvious which way you're assembling it)

Probe - have had some issues with BCA locks not locking securely. My BD works every time and the loop on the end is hudge and easy to grab. Haven't fondled a Voile, G3, Ortovox, or Mammut probe for a long time though so don't know how their current offerings are.

Also, I'd like to go on the record saying the BD Deploy shovel is a piece of shit. It doesn't pack small and it doesn't extend far enough to get any leverage. It deploys about 2s faster than a normal shovel and then sucks at shoveling. It should be relegated to digging out cars.

T handle + mittens = stupid
    avalanche rescue + mittens = stupid-er

good luck, if are you expecting her to be most efficient at deploying a beacon search, rummaging a pack, probe throwing, shovel assembly, and shoveling, all while wearing mittens. I would therefore recommend you get her a plastic shovel, because by the time she starts the extraction, her bare hand(s) will freeze, if not already, much quicker if using metal.

i dont know if your trolling, but after proclaiming two decades worth of experience, you should know what would be most preferred.

methinks your searching for the wrong answer(s) to the right question.
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Shovel = metal and big.
    Depending on the size/upper-body strength of the female in question here, a big blade could definitely be less efficient than smaller blade.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Ortovox Kodiak shovel. Real D-handle, hoe mode, compact blade, simple design. IMO best shovel currently on the market
    Bought one on your suggestion/review. Seems to work well so far. Only minor complaint is that sometimes it takes a bit to get the handle disconnected from the blade after digging a pit -- I think it's because snow sometimes gets packed in the blade/handle interface, which might just be fact of life with a hoe mode. I haven't had to use it in avy debris yet so I can't comment on the blade strength in a real-world situation.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

avalanche rescue + mittens = stupid-er

good luck, if are you expecting her to be most efficient at deploying a beacon search, rummaging a pack, probe throwing, shovel assembly, and shoveling, all while wearing mittens. I would therefore recommend you get her a plastic shovel, because by the time she starts the extraction, her bare hand(s) will freeze, if not already, much quicker if using metal.

i dont know if your trolling, but after proclaiming two decades worth of experience, you should know what would be most preferred.

methinks your searching for the wrong answer(s) to the right question.
    Interesting take with a side of asshole, just my style.

Personally, I have my gloves on leashes and taken then on and off multiple times during a rescue simulation. For example, unzip jackets, switch beacon to search, call 911. All that shit is done with my gloves off. Shoveling, that is done with gloves on. I'm guessing the same can be done with mittens.

Are you going as far as to say "You can't travel safely in the backcountry while wearing mittens?"

Thanks for the other suggestion. I will check out.

Are you going as far as to say "You can't travel safely in the backcountry while wearing mittens?"
    Only if they're special Windmit'Ns: https://skimo.co/camp-g-comp-racing
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

G3 SpadeTech with D-handle. There is even a womens specific shovel from G3 called the Elle....Jan's recently had them on sale.

Needs and wants. My pack is a 42L and the Voile is a pain in the ass in it's tool compartment.
    only packs I've found good with Telepro is Black Diamond Covert packs, and BD Revelation(?) pack (shovel broken down into 3 pieces).

g3 avitech is smaller blade with no neck, so yes, much more packable.

BCA 3 m probe (forgot model name, very easy to assemble = with quick lock).

Here it is (mine, purchased 10 years ago, was blue), but it looks the same

https://snowmetrics.com/shop/bca-fol...alanche-probe/
    Aggressive in my own mind