Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    If I were into planting bulbs, I would give that Prival shovel a hard look.

(also, the thing about an avalanche for ants)

Last I saw of that company their bot was spamming "avalanche safety catchphrases" on any instagram post remotely connected to the CO/UT backcountry. I had a post from the Ouray Ice Park and they commented "If it's wide enough to ride it's wide enough to slide".
    On second thought, maybe that's their target audience: people who want to carry avy gear somewhere they'll never need it, like in the ice park or on their apres bar missions.

The fact that shit like that is being sold at all means one more step at the beginning of every tour. Now in addition to a beacon check we'll have to pull out shovels and probes to make sure everyone is carrying something more substantial than a serving spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The fact that shit like that is being sold at all means one more step at the beginning of every tour. Now in addition to a beacon check we'll have to pull out shovels and probes to make sure everyone is carrying something more substantial than a serving spoon.
    You should know what your partner's gear looks like and where they store it. If their gear is shit, make them trade you for the day so they get to think about having to be rescued by shit gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    We should go viral on those guys...
    You triggered a vague recollection of the the Mags doing exactly that for some other purveyor of schlok avalanche gear a few years back... but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    If I were into planting bulbs, I would give that Prival shovel a hard look.

(also, the thing about an avalanche for ants)
    Might be useful for digging a cathole for when the french roast gets the gualbertos moving in me lower interstine. But digging your buddy out of an avy?

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    You triggered a vague recollection of the the Mags doing exactly that for some other purveyor of schlok avalanche gear a few years back... but I can't for the life of me remember what it was!
    Yeah I had that in mind actually.

Wasn't it a transmit only beacon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Mammut is on board with UIAA 156, takes some of the guesswork out of choosing a trustworthy shovel. http://www.mammutavalanchesafety.com...s-new.html?m=1

Any other manufacturers yet?
    While the Prival makes a strong case for some kind of standard, I have to ask, has anyone else read UIAA 156? I'm curious if I'm having a stroke or if that really is the single most confusing way they could publish such a standard. I've spent some time with CE docs and such and always find European standards to take a minute, but considering its scope that thing seems written to confuse, which does not inspire confidence in its effectiveness.

Found the Prival rescue shovel under another brand name, and it's only twenty bucks.